Ethanol free gas?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Ethanol free gas?

Post by Inverted2 »

I have a friend who wants to run car gas in his Cessna 150 a bit to keep the cost of flying down. I think he has the STC paperwork. I told him Shell premium has no ethanol but then I went on their website and it no longer says it is ethanol free. Is it still possible to get premium without it anywhere?
---------- ADS -----------

Let’s Go Brandon
Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ethanol free gas?

Post by Flight94 »

Most 94 is is ethanol free and some 91 is also. Best bet is to buy an inexpensive ethanol tester ($20) and verify at the pump.

PeterParker
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PeterParker »

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Also you can call a gas station directly and ask them if they offer ethanol free premium.

skywagon737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skywagon737 »

I am operating a Tecnam here in my country and using MOGAS from shell, and your friend has a right to ask a detailed product spec sheet from the station regarding to the ethanol. The spec sheet tells the percentage of ethanol, the best advice came from flight94 though.

Fugio, ergo sum. :!:
PeterParker
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PeterParker »

There are some gas stations like Chevron which use a dedicated fuel hose/line for their 94-octane product and this might be the best way to completely avoid any Ethanol contamination if you are concerned. Most stations servicing 91-octane usually dispense product through the same hose/line as their ethanol-mixed product, so that might be something to consider...

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

That pure gas is very out of date. For example everything in Manitoba has ethanol in it now even shell premium

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I wouldn't trust any gas station to be ethanol free. Buy a test kit to be safe.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

linecrew wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:43 am Also you can call a gas station directly and ask them if they offer ethanol free premium.
Would you trust the average gas jockey that answered the phone to know that for certain?

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

AirFrame wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:06 am
linecrew wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:43 am Also you can call a gas station directly and ask them if they offer ethanol free premium.
Would you trust the average gas jockey that answered the phone to know that for certain?
Sorry I should have been more clear as that's not what I meant. Call the owner, not whomever they have working behind the cash that day.

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

Try a boat marina or farm gas, they typically are no-ethanol and you save road tax. Test with a few drops of food coloring and swish. Check the octane, usually it's around 90 which is good for the C150, and pretty close to the 91 required for a 160 hp O320 -especially if you mix with some residual 100LL.

High-five your eco-buddies because you're pumping less than a tenth of the .56 grams of lead per litre in 100LL.

Return to “General Comments”