Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

C1/D requirement for PRs

Post by skylight »

Hello everyone,

I am Permanent Resident here, and I got a shock when i received my call for interview with AC last week. They want me to produce a C1/D visa for USA. It is a crew transit visa. Problem is that the wait time for the visa interviews in Canada are quite long (no appointments until Sept).

I am considering going abroad to get it done, seems faster in some smaller countries.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any ideas on how to epedite my C1/D processing? All ideas are welcome.

Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: C1/D requirement for PRs

Post by digits_ »

I don't think you can get a US crew visa without a letter from your employer. I know I couldn't.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fsantana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fsantana »

1) You will need a letter from the employer for the visa, to show the need for the visa.

2) As far as I know, the US Department if State -> through their Consulate General won’t let you get a visa in a country where you don’t reside. They might ask you to get the visa in the country where you currently live.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

When I had to get the C1/D visa, I went to the US consulate in Calgary. Booked my appt online, had a letter from my employer, went through insane security, stood in line for an hour, the wicket lady asked why I would need it so I told her it’s for work. She approved it on the spot and even gave me a second visa which was the B1B2 visa for free. My European passport came in the mail a few days later with both visas. This was pre-Covid.

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys.
fsantana wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:54 pm 1) You will need a letter from the employer for the visa, to show the need for the visa.

2) As far as I know, the US Department if State -> through their Consulate General won’t let you get a visa in a country where you don’t reside. They might ask you to get the visa in the country where you currently live.
1. You are right. The email from the US consulate does mention the 'letter from employer' as a requirement. I have written to Air Canada.
2. I took an appointment at the Bahamas (it was available 3months before the Canadian one). The questionnaire leading to the schedule did ask me if i was a resident of the Bahamas. I answered 'No'. So, I guess they are ok with me not being a Bahamas resident.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

Just speculating but at the stage of an interview I suppose AC will understand that you don't have this visa since you didn't need it before.
I expect they know that they will have to provide you a letter once you are hired.

A big company like AC probable send generic letters not taking into account specific cases.

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

Just an update:

Went through the interview without the visa, and was able to check with the Pilot Recruitment Manager. I will need to produce the C1/D before i start flying with AC. So i guess i will have about 2months after the job offer.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”