What can you really do with 250h ish TT

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Newby76656
Rank 0
Rank 0

What can you really do with 250h ish TT

Post by Newby76656 »

I'm finishing my formation with the only thing I can sell is that I have 50h of multi/ifr on a DA42 with 20 of them being PIC time... I've also written my ATPL exams but that's it. So where do we go after that? Should I spend 15k on a instructor raiting or is there a better option?
---------- ADS -----------

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: What can you really do with 250h ish TT

Post by Flight94 »

There are, give or take, 15,000 ATPL holders in Canada. They all had 250hrs at some point.

Ramp
Instructor
FO on a Navajo, Caravan, PC12, Kingair, etc
PIC on a 172, 206 etc doing pipeline patrol, survey work, banner towing, skydiving
Entry level float job
Loader for an ag operator

There are lots of opportunities. None of them pay well; manage your expectations. And don't lead with "I did my multi ifr in a diamond."

Sell your work ethic, willingness to learn and knowledge of what they do and how you can be an asset.

Good luck

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

Newby76656 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:52 pm I'm finishing my formation with the only thing I can sell is that I have 50h of multi/ifr on a DA42 with 20 of them being PIC time... I've also written my ATPL exams but that's it. So where do we go after that? Should I spend 15k on a instructor raiting or is there a better option?
You wrote your A’s with 250 hours? How is that possible?

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

Blowin' In The Wind wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:31 pm
Newby76656 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:52 pm I'm finishing my formation with the only thing I can sell is that I have 50h of multi/ifr on a DA42 with 20 of them being PIC time... I've also written my ATPL exams but that's it. So where do we go after that? Should I spend 15k on a instructor raiting or is there a better option?
Probably an integrated program (iATPL) of some sort offered.

As for OP, go for instructing if you genuinely think you'll enjoy it. You'll be home every night if that's important to you and it's safe and easy, pretty fun and liked by the airlines (don't listen to some guys on here who crap on instructors)
Also, DA42 is good glass time so I would mention that on a resume if applying to a shiny Pilatus or King machine.

See ya in the sky!

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

vanislepilot wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:36 pm

As for OP, go for instructing if you genuinely think you'll enjoy it. You'll be home every night if that's important to you and it's safe and easy, pretty fun and liked by the airlines (don't listen to some guys on here who crap on instructors)
Also, DA42 is good glass time so I would mention that on a resume if applying to a shiny Pilatus or King machine.

See ya in the sky!

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

vanislepilot wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:36 pm

See ya in the sky!
Ah fair enough, I didn’t think about that.

I second the rest of what you said: instructing is a legitimate route to the airlines these days, and for the right person can be very rewarding. Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

Ramp to flight wait times will probably decrease pretty rapidly come this fall, I believe there are new duty regs kicking in which will change a lot of companies schedules and result in more hiring at the 703/04 level so if you have no interest in instructing that could be a viable option. Try and get it now.

If you are interested in instructing you could probably do that for 6 months to a year and go directly on a king air/1900 type aircraft as an FO and get a nice quick capt upgrade and get some valuable turbine MPIC experience or cut to the airlines with some real world experience, rather than upgrading to capt. Or if you don’t care about real world experience you can instruct your way into a Q400 and have no idea wtf is going on for your first couple rotations and then eventually figure it out. Either way the instructor route has you logging hours the whole time, get the rating done ASAP.

And yeah, don’t mention the DA42 unless you know the company you’re applying for has a pretty panel that matches the pretty paint job, looks can be deceiving on some of these birds haha. The 42 is a bullshit trainer and not something to boast about. People that train on a 42 are probably better off training on an old Seminole or something that more accurately reflects what their first larger aircraft will be like as far as systems and avionics is concerned. It’s unlikely you’ll see FADEC or ECU’s again for quite some time. I’m speaking from experience talking about the 42 😂

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Go north and look ready to work..

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

Heavy Rayn wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:57 pm Ramp to flight wait times will probably decrease pretty rapidly come this fall, I believe there are new duty regs kicking in which will change a lot of companies schedules and result in more hiring at the 703/04 level so if you have no interest in instructing that could be a viable option. Try and get it now.

If you are interested in instructing you could probably do that for 6 months to a year and go directly on a king air/1900 type aircraft as an FO and get a nice quick capt upgrade and get some valuable turbine MPIC experience or cut to the airlines with some real world experience, rather than upgrading to capt. Or if you don’t care about real world experience you can instruct your way into a Q400 and have no idea wtf is going on for your first couple rotations and then eventually figure it out. Either way the instructor route has you logging hours the whole time, get the rating done ASAP.

And yeah, don’t mention the DA42 unless you know the company you’re applying for has a pretty panel that matches the pretty paint job, looks can be deceiving on some of these birds haha. The 42 is a bullshit trainer and not something to boast about. People that train on a 42 are probably better off training on an old Seminole or something that more accurately reflects what their first larger aircraft will be like as far as systems and avionics is concerned. It’s unlikely you’ll see FADEC or ECU’s again for quite some time. I’m speaking from experience talking about the 42 😂
A 1000hrs Instructor directly to regional after covid is still possible ?

WaldoPepper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WaldoPepper »

Go work the ramp in northern Ontario. You’ll get in shape, have a good work ethic, learn humility, make life long friends, gain extremely valuable life experience, and with the right company you’ll have all your hours for ATPL and legitimate experience both flying and decision making.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

^...... That.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

qwe221sd wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:19 pm
Heavy Rayn wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:57 pm Ramp to flight wait times will probably decrease pretty rapidly come this fall, I believe there are new duty regs kicking in which will change a lot of companies schedules and result in more hiring at the 703/04 level so if you have no interest in instructing that could be a viable option. Try and get it now.

A 1000hrs Instructor directly to regional after covid is still possible ?
Yes, 1000 hr instructors are getting calls for interviews at some regionals now.

Return to “General Comments”