IFR flight test at Cornwall

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

nappo787
Rank 1
Rank 1

IFR flight test at Cornwall

Post by nappo787 »

Hello guys,

Do you have to fly to either CYOW or CYUL for an ILS if you are doing your IFR flight test? OR you can do one LPV a Cornwall Regional + one LNAV without going for a full ILS somewhere else these days?

Any comments general comments on the examiner and school?

Thanks !
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: IFR flight test at Cornwall

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

nappo787 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:27 am Hello guys,

Do you have to fly to either CYOW or CYUL for an ILS if you are doing your IFR flight test? OR you can do one LPV a Cornwall Regional + one LNAV without going for a full ILS somewhere else these days?
Your question is directly and completely answered at Exercise 8B in the Instrument Rating Flight Test Guide

nappo787
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nappo787 »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:18 am
nappo787 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:27 am Hello guys,

Your question is directly and completely answered at Exercise 8B in the Instrument Rating Flight Test Guide
Thank you yes, I would also like to know recent experiences with them regarding the flight test, any inputs are very much appreciated.

Bluenoser29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bluenoser29 »

I did mine a couple years ago. Cornwall to YOW was an ILS followed by a hold back in Cornwall for a SCDA RNAV. Overall nothing was unexpected, just fly the procedures and you will do great.

nappo787
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nappo787 »

Bluenoser29 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:32 am I did mine a couple years ago. Cornwall to YOW was an ILS followed by a hold back in Cornwall for a SCDA RNAV. Overall nothing was unexpected, just fly the procedures and you will do great.
Thank you for your input, there wasn't an LPV back then I guess? or maybe it's a standardized school procedure/examiner thing to go for an ILS still? even when there's an LPV app at CYCC?

Bluenoser29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bluenoser29 »

TC requires a Precision approach to be flown down to mins for a IFR flight test. That is why an ILS is a must see. An LPV is not a precision approach even though it has vertical guidance.

FL290
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL290 »

Bluenoser29 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:19 am TC requires a Precision approach to be flown down to mins for a IFR flight test. That is why an ILS is a must see. An LPV is not a precision approach even though it has vertical guidance.
An LPV can be flown in lieu of an ILS on an initial IR flight test. If an LPV is flown, the second approach must be non-precision WITHOUT vertical guidance. This is stated in the flight test guide.

I have seen it done both ways at Cornwall. Each examiner seems to have their preference.

nappo787
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nappo787 »

FL290 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:40 am
Bluenoser29 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:19 am TC requires a Precision approach to be flown down to mins for a IFR flight test. That is why an ILS is a must see. An LPV is not a precision approach even though it has vertical guidance.
An LPV can be flown in lieu of an ILS on an initial IR flight test. If an LPV is flown, the second approach must be non-precision WITHOUT vertical guidance. This is stated in the flight test guide.

I have seen it done both ways at Cornwall. Each examiner seems to have their preference.
So what's Cornwall's examiner preference? I find it much easier and less time consuming just doing both approaches in Cornwall without having to fly to YOW.

I guess since you know Cornwall you could share? thank you!

FL290
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL290 »

nappo787 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:41 pm
FL290 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:40 am

So what's Cornwall's examiner preference? I find it much easier and less time consuming just doing both approaches in Cornwall without having to fly to YOW.

I guess since you know Cornwall you could share? thank you!
They have more than one examiner. You could be going to YOW or YUL for an ILS or staying local for the LPV. 8)

Return to “Flight Training”