Group 3 to group1??

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Slingshot97
Rank 0
Rank 0

Group 3 to group1??

Post by Slingshot97 »

I currently hold a Group 3 instrument rating. I’ve never flown multi before. How do I upgrade from a Gr 3 to a Gr 1 IFR. I’m planning to start my multi in a couple of weeks. Is it possible to get both multi & Gr. 1 IFR in one checkride?
---------- ADS -----------

imapo16
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Group 3 to group1??

Post by imapo16 »

Slingshot97 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:47 pm I currently hold a Group 3 instrument rating. I’ve never flown multi before. How do I upgrade from a Gr 3 to a Gr 1 IFR. I’m planning to start my multi in a couple of weeks. Is it possible to get both multi & Gr. 1 IFR in one checkride?
No it is not possible to get multi and IR Group1 in 1 check ride. You have to do one check ride for the multi and then another one for your group 1 since they are both different in contents.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

I went this route as well back in the day, not a huge obstacle but it was two separate flight tests. My multi engine rating was the bigger hurdle (maybe 8hrs of dual or so) the subsequent upgrade to group 1 was a cake walk after about 2 hours of training.

Slingshot97
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Slingshot97 »

2112 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:37 am I went this route as well back in the day, not a huge obstacle but it was two separate flight tests. My multi engine rating was the bigger hurdle (maybe 8hrs of dual or so) the subsequent upgrade to group 1 was a cake walk after about 2 hours of training.
Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate it :D

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

You can just do your "Multi Engine" and keep your "Group 3", and when you do a company PPC ride, it automatically upgrades your group 3 to a group 1, as long as you're getting checked out in a multi engine aircraft.

Keep the dirty side down.
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

EPR wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:14 pm You can just do your "Multi Engine" and keep your "Group 3", and when you do a company PPC ride, it automatically upgrades your group 3 to a group 1, as long as you're getting checked out in a multi engine aircraft.
Unless things have changed recently, I don't believe this is technically correct. Company ACP's are not normally permitted to conduct initial IFR rides. That said, in extenuating circumstances, TC may grant the privilege.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Donald wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:23 pm
EPR wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:14 pm You can just do your "Multi Engine" and keep your "Group 3", and when you do a company PPC ride, it automatically upgrades your group 3 to a group 1, as long as you're getting checked out in a multi engine aircraft.
Unless things have changed recently, I don't believe this is technically correct. Company ACP's are not normally permitted to conduct initial IFR rides. That said, in extenuating circumstances, TC may grant the privilege.
An ACP can issue an initial instrument rating or an upgrade to Group 1 as part of an IFR PPC. The procedures for doing this are outlined in section 7 of the Approved Check Pilot Manual. The manual can be googled

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:10 pm
Donald wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:23 pm
An ACP can issue an initial instrument rating or an upgrade to Group 1 as part of an IFR PPC. The procedures for doing this are outlined in section 7 of the Approved Check Pilot Manual. The manual can be googled
That's interesting. I'm 15 years out of the ACP game, but back then TC advised us that initial IFR ratings were the domain of FTU's. Thank you for the clarification.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Just trying to save the starving candidate...upwards of $10,000! (dirty lil industry secret)..you're welcome!
If you like my tip, and you'd like to "tip me" for the "tip".. THAT LITERALLY... JUST SAVED YOU THOUSANDS, pm me for details! :-)

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

So long as you have your multi rating. To upgrade your I.R you just need to do an IPC in the multi and submit the report to TC

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

EPR wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:17 pm Just trying to save the starving candidate...upwards of $10,000! (dirty lil industry secret)..you're welcome!
If you like my tip, and you'd like to "tip me" for the "tip".. THAT LITERALLY... JUST SAVED YOU THOUSANDS, pm me for details! :-)
You still have to pass the PPC. If you have a lot of recent group 3 IFR time then yes it is quite reasonable to do a combined PPC IRT ride. However if the IFR is not recent than you are rolling the dice on your job. Crash and burn on your training because the IFR skills are not up to scratch and you will be shown the door....and not the one to the sim.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

It's too bad too, because a sim flys like shit on a good day!

Return to “Flight Training”