need help converting a pdf to google calendar

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

jlfd26
Rank 1
Rank 1

need help converting a pdf to google calendar

Post by jlfd26 »

Hi,

I would like to be able to convert my PDF sked to a usable ics/ical that i could then send to my google calendar. Tried to find an answer but my friend google didn't help me much in there

thank you for any insight
---------- ADS -----------

OtherRedBaron
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: need help converting a pdf to google calendar

Post by OtherRedBaron »

As far as I know, there are no automated tools for this. The last time I ran into this was I think 5 years ago and there certainly wasn't anything available at the time that I could find. PDFs simply don't have the necessary data structure to automate this. Probably because it's far, far simpler to simply export the necessary data to an ical format in the first place.

If the text on your PDF calendar is not selectable (by holding the left mouse and dragging), then it's basically impossible. That PDF is simply a picture of a calendar. If it's selectable though, you could try first converting the calendar to CSV format. You'll probably then need to experiment with playing around with that data in a spreadsheet before importing the resulting CSV to ical, but with practice you might be able to find a way to do it reasonably quickly.

It's been a while since I looked into this. I can tell you it will probably be much easier to get your schedule as an ical in the first place. That PDF is already, probably, an ical that has been exported to PDF.

(source: been an IT man for 20 years)
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”