Instructors at AME school

This forum is for all you story tellers to have a place to tell us your adventures like Duke Elegant once did.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Lastdaez
Rank 0
Rank 0

Instructors at AME school

Post by Lastdaez »

Here's something. I am in school to become an AME. Starting out I was very excited and very motivated. Fast forward to now I am regretful and not motivated what so ever. Every day since I have gone to school here our instructor has something negative to say about this career. Here's a list of the things he tells us about this career:

1.) you will be poor "lucky to make 35$ an hour 10+ years after being licensed"
2.) you will most likely be stuck on night shift if you are in fixed wing
3.) if you are in rotary you will be laid off a lot and never get to see your family
4.) your wife will divorce you

Everything he says is usually an alteration of those four things and he says it like he's trying to warn us not to go into this career. Especially when It comes to the money side of the career he always talks about how bad the money is in this trade. I was not expecting to be a millionaire U thought It would be a good comfortable wage and job but he says things like "car mechanic makes way more, plumber makes way more". That's not just him either there are a few instructors here who always talk about how other trades will pay way better than this.
---------- ADS -----------

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Instructors at AME school

Post by edmanster »

This is bad. His attitude is a reflection of his instructional abilities. What you are receiving as education will be at the minimum skill level to keep your job. Rather then excelling in your trade .. You will just drown your ambitions in despair .. so sad.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

He might be right, depending on what your plan is, and it's information worth having. But an instructor should at the very least not be negative about what he's teaching, and hopefully be somewhat enthusiastic.

Might be worth it to have a talk with whomever is in charge there. If it's a widespread cultural problem, they might maybe have to end his suffering and look for another instructor.

For what it's worth, I know a fair amount of AMEs that are happy as well.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Less likely to divorce than a pilot. Just saying.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Lastdaez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:04 pm Here's something. I am in school to become an AME. Starting out I was very excited and very motivated. Fast forward to now I am regretful and not motivated what so ever. Every day since I have gone to school here our instructor has something negative to say about this career. Here's a list of the things he tells us about this career:

3.) if you are in rotary you will be laid off a lot and never get to see your family

Everything he says is usually an alteration of those four things and he says it like he's trying to warn us not to go into this career. Especially when It comes to the money side of the career he always talks about how bad the money is in this trade. I was not expecting to be a millionaire U thought It would be a good comfortable wage and job but he says things like "car mechanic makes way more, plumber makes way more". That's not just him either there are a few instructors here who always talk about how other trades will pay way better than this.
If you end up staying in the industry, you will look back and realize this instructor had your back and was giving you solid advice. There is nothing that he said that isnt true. You should have researched the career a little bit more before you enrolled. Electricians, plumbers, Automotive, heavy duty, hell even a good drywaller can make more. If you finish school and come out as a fresh apprentice who knows jack shit, what do you think your starting wage will be at? We pay our no nothing apprentice in helicopters 23/hr. They came from a fixed wing hack shop where they had made 20/hr. In helicopters we are away half the time, and the days are long ( 12-14 hr). Overtime doesnt exist as its averaged. My 16yr old daughter makes more as a waitress in an 8 hr shift.
If your living in any of the big cities and want to get on with the airlines, your starting wage will be higher and you will just be a drone parts changer, fare from being an engineer. You wont have the luxury of trouble shooting the fault, you will plug in your ODSB-2 and it will tell you what to do. You can never develop to be a better engineer. You will only get good at reading collective agreements.
You will trip over yourself to pick up OT trying to make a little more so you can try and get ahead. You will see friends in other occupations working normal hours and have less responsibility all the while making more money. They will start having families and you will be left wondering if you can afford to support a child. You will make the move to go "international" or "contract", justify month on month off, thinking you will have more time home and better income. The reality, is because your away, you wife will find someone else to fill the void in her life and be around to help with the day to day. She will still love that pay cheque you bring in, but she will eventually trade up and take your child support. You will move on two wife#2 and the cycle will repeat. Wife #2 is usually from the country where you go to rotate for work. She loves you long time, and deep down is only looking for the immigration opportunities you bring.

You should go buy your instructor a beer and thank him for being a father to you.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

It's great that students are informed about it, but if it comes up every lesson, then it is detrimental to a students morale and progress. Despite the advice, they elected to take the course. So either teach them to the best of your abilities or quit and let someone else teach them.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Why bother instructing something you don't believe in? If you actually think you are graduating people into the four pillars of despair, maybe it's time for a new gig :lol:.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:00 pm Why bother instructing something you don't believe in? If you actually think you are graduating people into the four pillars of despair, maybe it's time for a new gig :lol:.
I partially agree but what is he supposed to "believe in" if what he's saying is his, and quite frankly most other AME's, experience after years in aircraft maintenance in Canada?

After just over 25 years in it I can personally vouch for how common almost all his points are. If he deviates or denies this he's selling a fairy tale as many instructors do.

Good for him for letting the truth out.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:21 am
Lastdaez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:04 pm Here's something. I am in school to become an AME. Starting out I was very excited and very motivated. Fast forward to now I am regretful and not motivated what so ever. Every day since I have gone to school here our instructor has something negative to say about this career. Here's a list of the things he tells us about this career:

If you end up staying in the industry, you will look back and realize this instructor had your back and was giving you solid advice. There is nothing that he said that isnt true. You should have researched the career a little bit more before you enrolled. Electricians, plumbers, Automotive, heavy duty, hell even a good drywaller can make more. If you finish school and come out as a fresh apprentice who knows jack shit, what do you think your starting wage will be at? We pay our no nothing apprentice in helicopters 23/hr. They came from a fixed wing hack shop where they had made 20/hr. In helicopters we are away half the time, and the days are long ( 12-14 hr). Overtime doesnt exist as its averaged. My 16yr old daughter makes more as a waitress in an 8 hr shift.
If your living in any of the big cities and want to get on with the airlines, your starting wage will be higher and you will just be a drone parts changer, fare from being an engineer. You wont have the luxury of trouble shooting the fault, you will plug in your ODSB-2 and it will tell you what to do. You can never develop to be a better engineer. You will only get good at reading collective agreements.
You will trip over yourself to pick up OT trying to make a little more so you can try and get ahead. You will see friends in other occupations working normal hours and have less responsibility all the while making more money. They will start having families and you will be left wondering if you can afford to support a child. You will make the move to go "international" or "contract", justify month on month off, thinking you will have more time home and better income. The reality, is because your away, you wife will find someone else to fill the void in her life and be around to help with the day to day. She will still love that pay cheque you bring in, but she will eventually trade up and take your child support. You will move on two wife#2 and the cycle will repeat. Wife #2 is usually from the country where you go to rotate for work. She loves you long time, and deep down is only looking for the immigration opportunities you bring.

You should go buy your instructor a beer and thank him for being a father to you.
I can’t believe I missed this post, very well written Septrepair I agree with you 100% long time lol. This instructor is just giving the facts. I teach tradesmen in type courses and usually younger ames. They all know what this is once I give them the same (and more) advice and I’ve never been told I’m wrong.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:00 pm Why bother instructing something you don't believe in? If you actually think you are graduating people into the four pillars of despair, maybe it's time for a new gig :lol:.
He may well be there to stave off the garbage he was fed in school and save these innocent people an education of immeasurable hard knocks.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

digits_ wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:26 am He might be right, depending on what your plan is, and it's information worth having. But an instructor should at the very least not be negative about what he's teaching, and hopefully be somewhat enthusiastic.

Might be worth it to have a talk with whomever is in charge there. If it's a widespread cultural problem, they might maybe have to end his suffering and look for another instructor.

He’s just giving the facts Jack.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

photofly wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:33 am Less likely to divorce than a pilot. Just saying.
Not if he goes helicopters he won’t lol

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:53 am
digits_ wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:26 am He might be right, depending on what your plan is, and it's information worth having. But an instructor should at the very least not be negative about what he's teaching, and hopefully be somewhat enthusiastic.

Well, it's a bit like your posts :wink: :

It's very nice -maybe even essential- to get those facts of the negative side of the profession. But if one has those facts and decides to enter the AME profession, then there is absolutely no point as an instructor in droning on about it every chance you get. People are still free to make their choices.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

digits_ wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:14 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:53 am

Well, it's a bit like your posts :wink: :

It's very nice -maybe even essential- to get those facts of the negative side of the profession. But if one has those facts and decides to enter the AME profession, then there is absolutely no point as an instructor in droning on about it every chance you get. People are still free to make their choices.

I don’t lay it down as hard vis a vis, and there is opportunity with an AME license elsewhere than Canada (I’m living proof), and, in fact the training is good for other trades as well.
I don’t think an instructor would “drone on about it” that is a bit much. I also divulge the positive aspects I had during my decades working in Canada When things were much better. The four points the OP has included are correct. These students need to know the facts (good AND bad). You can’t cherry pick arctic fishing and exotic flying / adventure tales etc. and serve them it in a vacuum to make any cogent decision on how to make such an important life decision.

I’ve travelled everywhere in north and South America via helicopter and overseas in several continents including Antarctica. I made very good money in seismic, bird towing, and drill support etc work when I was a field AME. Those jobs however are mostly extinct and almost not relevant in Canada now. Wages are not only stagnant but have in fact retracted largely in some areas. The good is largely outweighed by the bad now imo. I love the trade, the industry however…..

Return to “Around the Camp Fire”