Meniscus Tear

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Philip745
Rank 0
Rank 0

Meniscus Tear

Post by Philip745 »

Does anyone know if you're allowed to fly with a Meniscus tear?
---------- ADS -----------

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Meniscus Tear

Post by Castorero »

Depends...

The doc that diagnosed the tear would be the best source for an opinion, especially if an arthroscopy was carried out, and it showed the true nature of the tear. ?small tear, ? big tear. ? loose piece, ? prone to locking the knee? etc, etc...

Generally, it would depend on whether or not it could interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft.

If you have a tear with a loose end which could get trapped and lock the knee on bending or straightening, you now have only one useful leg and possibly a lot of pain in the other. Not a good situation.

Now, if the tear is small and old and you have had it for eons without any problem then, maybe.
But again, somebody would need to assess your knee.

bluejayfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bluejayfly »

Castorero wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:01 pm Depends...

The doc that diagnosed the tear would be the best source for an opinion, especially if an arthroscopy was carried out, and it showed the true nature of the tear. ?small tear, ? big tear. ? loose piece, ? prone to locking the knee? etc, etc...

Generally, it would depend on whether or not it could interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft.

If you have a tear with a loose end which could get trapped and lock the knee on bending or straightening, you now have only one useful leg and possibly a lot of pain in the other. Not a good situation.

Now, if the tear is small and old and you have had it for eons without any problem then, maybe.
And what if it was surgically operated on?
I had an arthroscopy done to remove a piece of the torn meniscus that was out of place. I have fully recovered now. What do you think are the implications on my category 1 medical? Thanks

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

You should be good to go, with no restrictions on your licence.

bluejayfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bluejayfly »

Castorero wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:46 am You should be good to go, with no restrictions on your licence.
Thanks for that @Castorero:
I am happy to report that i declared my surgery at my TC medical renewal last week, and the doctor gave me an easy clean chit.
I didn't have to hide. Your reply encouraged me to be truthful.

Not all regulators around the world work this way, and at my previous country i would have had to run from pillar to post for 6months without a surety of success. I hope people take a leaf out of TC's book.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Castorero wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:01 pm Depends...

Are you a physician? Not that I need advice, I’m just curious based on the content of your posts.

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

There be no moss growing beneath your fine head of hair, Bede...

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Castorero wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:30 pm There be no moss growing beneath your fine head of hair, Bede...
Derm?

I know the different classes of anti depressants, but only a rare breed of person would refer to a tricyclic as an "old horse" as you did in one of your posts. Putting two and two together...

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

Bede, you and my long gone dog Bello, were gifted with a good nose, but he couldn't count past one bird at a time.

I was being kind to Anafranil when I referred to it as and "old horse of an antidepressant", in reality it is more akin to a Dinosaur, roaming the Dark Ages of Psychiatry.

futboler14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by futboler14 »

I had a torn ACL for 8 years before I had surgery. I've never had an issue at my yearly medical. Even at the AC medical, it was a non event.

I ran a couple half marathons with it torn. I've had surgery and it's now worse. Go figure.

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

futboler14 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:11 am I had a torn ACL for 8 years before I had surgery. I've never had an issue at my yearly medical. Even at the AC medical, it was a non event.

I ran a couple half marathons with it torn. I've had surgery and it's now worse. Go figure.
Oh. Thats sad.

Just curious. Why did you undergo surgery? Did you have other issues?

Return to “Health & Fitness”