Pilot shortage …? Reality or fake news ..

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Pilot shortage …? Reality or fake news ..

Post by dhc# »

American Eagle ops decimated by pilot shortage - CEO

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... um=twitter
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:39 am I got into flying in my 20s for the love of the craft. Now I am in my 30s with a family, mortgage, cars and need more money to support all of that. I still love the flying just not the industry. It is recovering but wages are stagnant while cost of living is out of control.
I'd suggest that your complaint would be the same across pretty much any industry or career at the present time...
You've mentioned engineering, but your earning potential in aviation is somewhat greater, I think? Only problem is the pay cuts you've got to take to get there!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

North Shore wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:22 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:39 am I got into flying in my 20s for the love of the craft. Now I am in my 30s with a family, mortgage, cars and need more money to support all of that. I still love the flying just not the industry. It is recovering but wages are stagnant while cost of living is out of control.
I'd suggest that your complaint would be the same across pretty much any industry or career at the present time...
You've mentioned engineering, but your earning potential in aviation is somewhat greater, I think? Only problem is the pay cuts you've got to take to get there!
Only in the last few years. You're likely to break 100k (and more) much sooner in your career. If you add everything up, it will likely be the same, with probably a bigger chance to go even higher as an engineer. I'd also say it's much more predictable in terms of employment and staying employed. Changing jobs rarely requires moving to another province.

But it's a completely different lifestyle. It might scare young people off (less adventure), but it might be appreciated by older folks.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:27 am
Only in the last few years. You're likely to break 100k (and more) much sooner in your career. If you add everything up, it will likely be the same, with probably a bigger chance to go even higher as an engineer. I'd also say it's much more predictable in terms of employment and staying employed. Changing jobs rarely requires moving to another province.

But it's a completely different lifestyle. It might scare young people off (less adventure), but it might be appreciated by older folks.
I think it depends on the type of engineering. I have a background in tech/software and that happens to be the highest paid engineering at the moment, especially in the US if working on the TN visa.

Aviation is more fun though but fun doesn't buy the wife the house and car she wants...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:18 am

I think it depends on the type of engineering. I have a background in tech/software and that happens to be the highest paid engineering at the moment, especially in the US if working on the TN visa.

Aviation is more fun though but fun doesn't buy the wife the house and car she wants...
What engineering would pay worse? Or at least worse than pilots?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:03 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:18 am

What engineering would pay worse? Or at least worse than pilots?
Most of the other engineering fields (civil, mechanical, electrical) have a salary range from roughly 50-150K and don't really go above that unless you go into management, consult in a specialized niche, or start a company. I guess petroleum/chemical engineering pays well too but the jobs in that field are more variable and go up and down kind of like aviation depending on the price and demand for oil.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”