Selling “block time” on advanced ultralights

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Selling “block time” on advanced ultralights

Post by lidi »

Hello aviators

With seeing people creating opportunities to selling “block time” on planes like Cessnas and pipers can I sell block time on an advanced ultralight? Would pilots trying to build time towards their total time count ultralight build time as another source to their total time as I know you can count only a certain hours towards the commercial licence.

Your thoughts would be appreciated and thank you
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Selling “block time” on advanced ultralights

Post by photofly »

Yes, you can sell block time on an advanced ultra-light aeroplane. Make sure your insurance company is ok with this.

10 hours of PIC time in a three-axis ultra-light count towards the total time for a PPL, 25 hours of PIC time in a three-axis ultra-light aeroplane can count towards a CPL (but not unfortunately towards the 100 hours PIC requirement) and 50 hours of flight time (curiously, it doesn't specify PIC time so dual would count) towards an ATPL.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

And you can even provide flight training as long as you notify the Minister.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

This may seem obvious but it's important: you can't build night time . (Most cpl looking for block time need to build night time for their ATPL.)

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

Thank you photofly and bede for your info much appreciated. Also in general is it possible to also build block time towards the total time for these new pilots in training to gain cheaper prices?

Again much appreciated

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

lidi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:46 am Thank you photofly and bede for your info much appreciated. Also in general is it possible to also build block time towards the total time for these new pilots in training to gain cheaper prices?

Again much appreciated
Your question isn't very clear, but if you're asking if dual training time in an ultralight counts towards the licensing requirements for the CPL of the person being trained in the ultralight, the answer is no. For the CPL, the only ultralight time that counts is PIC time, and if you're receiving instruction you're not PIC.

Towards the ATPL, the regulation says up to 50 hours of flight time in a three axis ultralight counts towards the total 1500 hour requirement, but as Bede points out, by the time you have close to 1500 hours, you've usually found a way of getting what you need without having to pay for it (as part of your employment) with the exception of various combinations of night and/or and/or cross country and/or PIC time, towards none of which time in an ultralight counts, either dual or solo.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

photofly wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:59 am
lidi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:46 am Thank you photofly and bede for your info much appreciated. Also in general is it possible to also build block time towards the total time for these new pilots in training to gain cheaper prices?

Again much appreciated
Your question isn't very clear, but if you're asking if dual training time in an ultralight counts towards the licensing requirements for the CPL of the person being trained in the ultralight, the answer is no. For the CPL, the only ultralight time that counts is PIC time, and if you're receiving instruction you're not PIC.

Towards the ATPL, the regulation says up to 50 hours of flight time in a three axis ultralight counts towards the total 1500 hour requirement, but as Bede points out, by the time you have close to 1500 hours, you've usually found a way of getting what you need without having to pay for it (as part of your employment) with the exception of various combinations of night and/or and/or cross country and/or PIC time, towards none of which time in an ultralight counts, either dual or solo.
Much appreciated again, but I guess any PIC time on an advanced ultralight can still count toward a pilots total time for hours and not necessarily for the CPL or ATPL

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

lidi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:16 am ...

Much appreciated again, but I guess any PIC time on an advanced ultralight can still count toward a pilots total time for hours and not necessarily for the CPL or ATPL
Yes, but if an employer asks what's a Challenger 2? And you say it's an advanced ultralight, you tend to get treated like you lied in your log book. Not saying it's right, I instructed on a rotax powered Storm S280 and quit after 50 hours because I needed time I could log towards the ATPL. Whenever it comes up people treat it as if it never happened or in their mind I logged powered parachute time. Personally it was some extremely challenging flying, in an underpowered aircraft and I learned a tonne. It is also a very capable aircraft. 5 GPH, Auto gas, and around 100 mph when the electrically controlled variable pitch prop worked, otherwise 90 mph.

I also wonder about Ultralights on floats. Do insurance companies count it for their float time requirements for a job on a 185?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

lidi wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:16 am Much appreciated again, but I guess any PIC time on an advanced ultralight can still count toward a pilots total time for hours and not necessarily for the CPL or ATPL
As co-joe points out, other than the experience requirements for various licences and ratings which are unambiguous, there's no legal standard for "total time for hours" so whether an aircraft type "counts" depends entirely on who's doing the counting.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

co-joe wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:30 am I also wonder about Ultralights on floats. Do insurance companies count it for their float time requirements for a job on a 185?
I wanna know how people feel about multi engine ultralights. Can I buy a Lazair and ramp up my MPIC for pennies? Better still, can I get rich renting out a Lazair for the same purpose?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Is that any better or worse than this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colomban_Cri-cri

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

And don't forget the "jet time" you could get.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-public ... ny-twinjet

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Cri-Cri has been around for a long time. What you really need is multi-engine rotor time.

Return to “General Comments”