AME Shortage.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

AME Shortage.

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

So is this a thing still? I’m seeing lots of job ads in Canada lately… some that keep renewing every few weeks. Pay was posted but it’s back to no pay advertised scenario again. What’s up?
---------- ADS -----------

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: AME Shortage.

Post by SeptRepair »

Not sure in the fixed wing world, but heli's still seem to be short.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:29 am Not sure in the fixed wing world, but heli's still seem to be short.
Na were not short in the vtol world. Just short of willing workers for what’s being offered

BradleyM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BradleyM »

Capitalism baby. People aren't willing to move to the middle of nowhere 8 months of the year (if not all year) for wages half that of their other mechanic counterparts. I'd wager there is hardly a single company in this industry paying AME's what they're worth right now.

Especially after Covid. That was a huge wakeup call and many AME's are never going back to night shift and bushwhacking because they found better work. Make the job more appealing, make it worthwhile and people will show up. Why bust your ass and still not be able to buy groceries, gas or a house?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

BradleyM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:41 am Capitalism baby. People aren't willing to move to the middle of nowhere 8 months of the year (if not all year) for wages half that of their other mechanic counterparts. I'd wager there is hardly a single company in this industry paying AME's what they're worth right now.

Especially after Covid. That was a huge wakeup call and many AME's are never going back to night shift and bushwhacking because they found better work. Make the job more appealing, make it worthwhile and people will show up. Why bust your ass and still not be able to buy groceries, gas or a house?
It’s pathetic in Canada, your assessment is correct.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

BradleyM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:41 am Capitalism baby. People aren't willing to move to the middle of nowhere 8 months of the year (if not all year) for wages half that of their other mechanic counterparts. I'd wager there is hardly a single company in this industry paying AME's what they're worth right now.

👍

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

But then again, think of the glory!

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

I was visiting a B.C college and talked to an administrator about their structures program and why it seemed quiet. They told me they had 2 applicants and after a semester the program was suspended. Things are changing, people are getting smarter and younger people are figuring it out. You work less and live more. Why would a young individual work for bum pay, rent a crap hole, eat KD and have no future. Better not to work, get free housing, free food, free phone, free healthcare. Welcome to Canada. Future for aviation looks bleak but the TFW program keeps it chugging along. Walk into a hanger you’ll see.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:12 pm I was visiting a B.C college and talked to an administrator about their structures program and why it seemed quiet. They told me they had 2 applicants and after a semester the program was suspended. Things are changing, people are getting smarter and younger people are figuring it out. You work less and live more. Why would a young individual work for bum pay, rent a crap hole, eat KD and have no future. Better not to work, get free housing, free food, free phone, free healthcare. Welcome to Canada. Future for aviation looks bleak but the TFW program keeps it chugging along. Walk into a hanger you’ll see.
You’re not far off, there’s way more money to be had and lifestyle outside of work hours are way more appealing in almost anything else but this trade. I like flying, I like doing the maintenance, I just don’t like any of the work conditions associated with said careers. Too much work not enough pay. I know guys that got laid off during the pandemic 30 years experience, pursued their hobbies as careers pretty much, when furloughs started easing almost none of them looked back (one I know does this contract now that’s it). Personally I hope the rest of the talent leaves and there’s nothing left but neophytes without a clue. Looks good on the companies that pushed things too hard for too long.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

-42 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:12 pm I was visiting a B.C college and talked to an administrator about their structures program and why it seemed quiet. They told me they had 2 applicants and after a semester the program was suspended. Things are changing, people are getting smarter and younger people are figuring it out. You work less and live more. Why would a young individual work for bum pay, rent a crap hole, eat KD and have no future. Better not to work, get free housing, free food, free phone, free healthcare. Welcome to Canada. Future for aviation looks bleak but the TFW program keeps it chugging along. Walk into a hanger you’ll see.
I’m curious how private healthcare would change this country. If being employed was linked to having excellent health coverage it would drive people to be employed. But at the same time would this bring wages down?

The U.S. military has no problem finding people, and these people keep in shape and to a high standard. This is partly because outside of the military they would struggle, not have the same benefits, healthcare etc. here in Canada people in the military don’t really give a shit the same way. If they leave they would have healthcare like everyone else, they could find a job that probably pays better etc. You can find lots of our military members who are obese and not maintains high fitness standards. In the U.S. these people would get booted to the streets as fitness is a job requirement.

At any rate you highlight an interesting issue we have. We don’t compensate the working class enough.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:39 am
I’m curious how private healthcare would change this country. If being employed was linked to having excellent health coverage it would drive people to be employed. But at the same time would this bring wages down?

The U.S. military has no problem finding people, and these people keep in shape and to a high standard. This is partly because outside of the military they would struggle, not have the same benefits, healthcare etc. here in Canada people in the military don’t really give a shit the same way. If they leave they would have healthcare like everyone else, they could find a job that probably pays better etc. You can find lots of our military members who are obese and not maintains high fitness standards. In the U.S. these people would get booted to the streets as fitness is a job requirement.

At any rate you highlight an interesting issue we have. We don’t compensate the working class enough.
Wages have hardly changed in 20 years in the helicopter world… fixed wing is much worse. Now we’re facing a 40 year high in 7.7% inflation. Screw aviation for now in Canada, at least the (USA) keeps up with interest and inflation with wages ffs. Canadas industry should be Fing ashamed, but they have no soul.

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

No shortage lots out there

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

There’s still lots of job ads, all the regulars always hiring..

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

“We do it for the glory”, I swear to god if I hear that line again I’m going to barf

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:38 am There’s still lots of job ads, all the regulars always hiring..
It’s like everything is a revolving door now

semiretired
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by semiretired »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:38 am There’s still lots of job ads, all the regulars always hiring..
Gee I wonder why???? Hhhhmm, maybe is a crap company that pays just that.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

semiretired wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:02 am
Gee I wonder why???? Hhhhmm, maybe is a crap company that pays just that.
Correct

Return to “Maintenance”