Commuting

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Totosky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Commuting

Post by Totosky »

Hello
I was wondering how hard/easy it is to commute with Flair. Do most pilots live at or near the bases or are there lots of commuters?
Any info will be much appreciated.

Toto
---------- ADS -----------

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Commuting

Post by flying4dollars »

Reciporcal agreements with all major and smaller airlines in Canada. Pairings are mostly day turns, very few overnights. Commuting quality is dependant on where your base is and where you're commuting to and from. Seniority based company, so your schedule is a result of that.

Soyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Soyer »

With bases in YXX,YVR,YEG,YYZ,YKF and YOW commuting is certainly possible. Future bases will likely be in YUL, YYC and YHZ so geographical spread will likely make it straightforward.

Totosky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Totosky »

Thank you, guys!

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Soyer wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:30 am With bases in YXX,YVR,YEG,YYZ,YKF and YOW commuting is certainly possible. Future bases will likely be in YUL, YYC and YHZ so geographical spread will likely make it straightforward.
Does it reduce expenses to have that many bases? I mean Jazz has a way larger fleet and network and they keep it down to 4. I always thought it’d make sense for regional airlines to expand their bases to reduce overnights in outstations and thus costs. I imagine having that variety of bases would attract people as well that don’t want/can’t afford to live in YYZ or YVR

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

There are a few overmights due to schedule requirements but 90% of flights are turns. This is the ULCC model.

Purgatory
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Purgatory »

Forget about commuting with Flair, the schedule makes it impossible. Many pilots have recently resigned due to the inability to commute. I personally know five that listed that as there #1 reason for leaving.
While junior you will do 18-20 days of reserve with single and double days off. Even with good seniority,commuting is difficult with the ULCC model of day returns and little to no overnights depending on your base. The lack of flying during Covid allowed18-20 days off a month, that’s a thing of the past and will not return, expect 12 off at best.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Not just a Flair issue, any airline that is mainly single days is not something anyone should try commute on unless it’s all really high 8+ hour days

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here.
Trust me, I don't have a horse in the race nor do I have much respect for operations at Flair, but the fact that they're primarily operating out of secondary airports will substantially reduce the need for commuting compared to a strictly YYZ domicile at lower end airline pay.
They should also be able to attract pilots who'd rather take a pay cut then commute for every pairing, and I totally get that.
There's a bit of entitlement at play here if you're looking at an entry level airline with 703 hour requirements and complaining you can't commute.

Purgatory
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Purgatory »

I don't think it was entitlement that lead to their departure. Flair indicated during the interview process that commuting was possible and that more bases were imminent. When that didn't prove to be true, they left.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

flying4dollars wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:44 pm Reciporcal agreements with all major and smaller airlines in Canada. Pairings are mostly day turns, very few overnights. Commuting quality is dependant on where your base is and where you're commuting to and from. Seniority based company, so your schedule is a result of that.
I don't work for Flair, but this right here should pretty much tell you that you must have a place within a reasonable driving distance to your base (or a crashpad).

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Purgatory wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:55 am I don't think it was entitlement that lead to their departure. Flair indicated during the interview process that commuting was possible and that more bases were imminent. When that didn't prove to be true, they left.
Commuting is certainly possible at Flair. We have pilots that live in YLW, YHZ, YYT, YUL, and YYC to name a few and all have successfully commuted for some time. If the expectation was that it would have an equal lifestyle to living in a base or that you would not require a crash pad then that was certainly our fault for not being more clear about how commuting works.

We had anticipated a YUL base opening this year and some of our YUL pilots were disappointed when that didn't happen. Most are based in YOW and have a reasonable drivable commute however.

Flair currently has 6 bases across the country with 20 aircraft. I don't think there are many other airlines that have that many choices of places to live. There will be additional pilot bases added into 2023 and beyond further increasing options to live where you want and be home every night.

Pilots are averaging 16 days off per month, and over half of the seniority list was hired in the last 12 months so no one is junior on reserve for very long here once they have completed training.

Flairpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flairpilot »

If you have a job, I wouldn’t leave it to commute at Flair. Obviously a different story if you don’t have a job, gotta do what you gotta do then.

You will lose most of your time off due to commuting, that is a fact. With more bases being talked about constantly, wait until there’s one near you. Just my 0.02C.

Return to “Flair Airlines”