YYZ

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

YYZ

Post by flyinhigh »

Alot of discussion on the WJ thread about the announcement but I'm curious what you YYZ Encore folks who just took one up the arse are thinking.

Has there been any indications to a plan? perhaps brining back the ACM policy? commuter policy?

I know most folks are ready to pull shoot out of Encore anyway, but I do feel for you that enjoy the operation and job there. After dealing with crap for two years, a turn around is occurring and now you get dealt this. Truely a shitty situation.
---------- ADS -----------

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: YYZ

Post by goingmissed »

flyinhigh wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:01 am Alot of discussion on the WJ thread about the announcement but I'm curious what you YYZ Encore folks who just took one up the arse are thinking.

Has there been any indications to a plan? perhaps brining back the ACM policy? commuter policy?

I know most folks are ready to pull shoot out of Encore anyway, but I do feel for you that enjoy the operation and job there. After dealing with crap for two years, a turn around is occurring and now you get dealt this. Truely a shitty situation.
The announcement was definitely a slap in the face, but we won't know what it means until something actually happens. So far we are all still employed and flying boatloads.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Lots of unknowns, but I think you're over-estimating the negative impact to YYZ Encore folks. It'll be a little while before we start seeing major schedule changes and it isn't a guarantee that they'll actually close the base. It will definitely be downsized, but a lot of that will be by natural flow and attrition that would have happened regardless of this particular announcement.

There are very few Encore pilots who want to stay here for life. If someone is super junior in YYZ I could see this being a bit of a blow, but most YYZ pilots have so many options right now it's pretty amazing. Plus, if you take the new CEO/COO at their word (I know, I know, but they're new, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt), the growth will be on the (mostly) mainline 737. That is where Encore pilots want the growth to be. And there will still be flying out of YYZ.

I'll be the first to admit that I was very skeptical when it was announced that the Company was intending to flow almost 100 pilots each year, but the reality is that at 8 pilots a month which they swear up and down they're committed to keeping, that works out to 96 pilots flowing a year. There are currently ~500 pilots on property. Guaranteed some will go to AC or elsewhere. So the most junior pilot on property is, in theory, potentially looking at less than 5 years to flow. Reducing the Dash fleet definitely increases the chance the they'll continue to flow. Having to commute for a bit to then get on a 737 isn't the worst thing ever. It may be that there are better options, but I'd hardly call it taking it up the arse.

And before you think I'm out there bleeding Teal, in 2018 I had a post on why pilots shouldn't come to Encore just for quick flow and for many reasons, I still think pilots should look at other options for regionals before coming to Encore. But I really do see this most recent announcement as potential good news. The devil will be in the details though.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

“ The devil will be in the details though”

Certainly will be, I was giving Alexis the benefit of the doubt until his company webcast. He used all the same touch points as every other CEO over the past decade or so, almost like CB was up above pulling strings. He mentioned growing the ‘narrowbody’ fleet, but they were purposefully hazy as to where in ‘the WestJet group’-even during the Q&A.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!

Return to “WestJet Encore”