DJI Mini 3 Pro

Forum created to promote discussion of UAS and drones.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

DJI Mini 3 Pro

Post by Raymond Hall »

DJI just announced today the availability of the Mini 3 Pro. This aircraft will be a game-changer for one big reason. Not only does it have a 48 MPx camera and 12 MPx Video camera, but at 249 grams, it falls under the 250 g limit above which it requires Transport Canada registration and approval to operate in controlled airspace. In short, it does not require the pilot to have either a basic or advanced permit to operate, and no approval is required to operate in urban areas, provided the operation does not endanger people or property.

My guess in that before long, with the proliferation of this model in urban areas across Canada, the regs will be amended to move the maximum weight limit for unregulated drones downward to include this model.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: DJI Mini 3 Pro

Post by photofly »

Why? The DJI Mini 2 has been 249 (actually 242) grammes and available in Canada for years. I bought one, in Costco, last year. What difference does a model upgrade make?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
flytdeck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flytdeck »

Hello Captain Hall (I am assuming this is the same Ray),

Good to see you participating in the drone portion of this forum. It is a great retirement occupation and it is fascinating watching it evolve. The regulators still seem in a bit of a quandary about how to tax/charge/regulate/eliminate drones, but I think they realize they are here to stay.

The DJI Mini 3 Pro is a super drone. I use DJI drones exclusively at the moment though I have not purchased this one (for reasons I will get to in a moment). It appears that if one installs the appropriate battery, the drone remains in the sub 250g category. The extended battery puts it over this weight.

DJI drones include geofencing. In most cases, I use my Maric Air 2 for search/filming projects and geofencing is not a factor. Permission from Transport Canada is forthcoming in the instances where it is required and in general, the geofence helps keep me honest (though I am a stickler for following regulations anyway). This is all good for the over 250g category, but under 250g permits me a bit more freedom which often I need to complete a project. The geofence then becomes an obstacle rather than a safeguard as it requires significant time and effort in unlocking an area where it is not required. For that reason, the DJI sub 250g products have to stay on the shelf though they are one of the best lines of drones out there. Fortunately, there are some good/adequate sub 250g drones available that do NOT include the geofencing "feature".

Drones certainly open up an incredible perspective on the world around us and provide an amazing tool for security/rescue services. They are evolving so quickly that one must stay very engaged, especially when looking at proposed and new regulations.

BillyEd43
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BillyEd43 »

flytdeck wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:43 pm Hello Captain Hall (I am assuming this is the same Ray),

Good to see you participating in the drone portion of this forum. It is a great retirement occupation and it is fascinating watching it evolve. The regulators still seem in a bit of a quandary about how to tax/charge/regulate/eliminate drones, but I think they realize they are here to stay.

The DJI Mini 3 Pro is a super drone. I use DJI drones exclusively at the moment though I have not purchased this one (for reasons I will get to in a moment). It appears that if one installs the appropriate battery, the drone remains in the sub 250g category. The extended battery puts it over this weight.

DJI drones include geofencing. In most cases, I use my Maric Air 2 for search/filming projects and geofencing is not a factor. Permission from Transport Canada is forthcoming in the instances where it is required and in general, the geofence helps keep me honest (though I am a stickler for following regulations anyway). This is all good for the over 250g category, but under 250g permits me a bit more freedom which often I need to complete a project. The geofence then becomes an obstacle rather than a safeguard as it requires significant time and effort in unlocking an area where it is not required. For that reason, the DJI sub 250g products have to stay on the shelf though they are one of the best lines of drones out there. Fortunately, there are some good/adequate sub 250g drones available that do NOT include the geofencing "feature".

Drones certainly open up an incredible perspective on the world around us and provide an amazing tool for security/rescue services. They are evolving so quickly that one must stay very engaged, especially when looking at proposed and new regulations.
Are you satisfied with this drone? Heard there is a range problem with the New controller with the Mini 3 Pro. Many people on YouTube say they are going to cancel their orders.

Last edited by BillyEd43 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
flytdeck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flytdeck »

Hi BillyEd43,

I apologize and did not intend to mislead you. I do not own the Mini 3 Pro; have only seen one in action being demonstrated by a vendor. It performed very well though it was always within the perimeter of a football field so I am unable to verify the range issues. The videos I reviewed after the flight was clean and of very good quality, despite it being a dull day. There was no visible "gel" at normal magnification and the colours were crisp. For most people, if the problem you mentioned is rectified, this would likely be an excellent choice.

Unfortunately, DJI software makes it difficult and sometimes impossible to use this product because of Geofencing. There are often fences placed in unexpected areas (partly my fault for not doing enough research, but partly theirs for placing fences where they are not required). Some drone flights are done indoors in hangers making the unlocking process lengthy and complex as they are within control zones. It is difficult enough getting the Transport Canada authorizations.

Fortunately, I have alternatives, and the DJI Mavic Air 2 is still my "go-to" drone (especially on windy days). Buckle on the new Insta360 Sphere cameras and there is absolutely stunning video produced. The next drone, however, will have to be water-resistant (fly safely in rain) and have no built-in flght restrictions. For most users, however, the DJI Mini 3 Pro would likely be on the top of their shortlist to purchase.

Return to “Drones & UAS”