Sunwing hiring update

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Sunwing hiring update

Post by Adam Oke »

GoHome Leg, believe me when I say the lecture is not required. I am not making an irrational or emotionally influenced decision. I have done my own risk assessment, lifestyle assessment, career assessment, and I made a decision based on what was best for myself and my family. I stated a few facts and did not "shit on my company" on the way out. Not sure why that hit a nerve so bad. Those are facts.

Everyone should gather up as much information as possible and work with the cards you are dealt and not with the cards you wish you had. In my case the grass is actually greener in many ways. Lime green to be exact. :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Adam Oke wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:30 pm GoHome Leg, believe me when I say the lecture is not required. I am not making an irrational or emotionally influenced decision. I have done my own risk assessment, lifestyle assessment, career assessment, and I made a decision based on what was best for myself and my family. I stated a few facts and did not "shit on my company" on the way out. Not sure why that hit a nerve so bad. Those are facts.
Completely missing his point. You're not happy (rightfully so) with what was done to you and the other 38. But you seem to have no problem doing it to others if it means getting what you want. It doesn't make you wrong, Adam. Just makes you a hypocrite.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

I am under the impression a base bid was run and upgrades were exhausted. The company is under rapid expansion plans. Do you have information to state otherwise?

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Adam Oke wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:51 pm I am under the impression a base bid was run and upgrades were exhausted. The company is under rapid expansion plans. Do you have information to state otherwise?
I don't have a dog in this fight, don't work for either company. But let me guess, that's what the company told you?

Given the latest communique the Union sent its pilots at Flair, I can see why they may want to hire DECs, rather than upgrade from within. Probably getting harder and harder to attract FOs, so can't be shooting themselves on the foot.

Soyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Soyer »

With 6 bases the available Captain positions may be in a specific base only. For example, YKF has openings for Captains and all eligible FO's may bid for that position at that base. If they do not then the company will advertise for DECs.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:58 pm
Adam Oke wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:51 pm I am under the impression a base bid was run and upgrades were exhausted. The company is under rapid expansion plans. Do you have information to state otherwise?
I don't have a dog in this fight, don't work for either company. But let me guess, that's what the company told you?

Given the latest communique the Union sent its pilots at Flair, I can see why they may want to hire DECs, rather than upgrade from within. Probably getting harder and harder to attract FOs, so can't be shooting themselves on the foot.
Flair does not bypass qualified FO's to hire DEC's. Every qualified First Officer has been given the opportunity to bid on an upgrade here before DEC positions were offered. We are still short approximately 15 Captain positions in CYKF after the last bid.

There are some qualified FO's that chose to remain in their current base rather than commute or move to YKF. Another bid in the fall will capture additional internal upgrade opportunities for FO's who have become qualified for command after their first recurrent PPC.

We are onboarding over 150 pilots in 2022 and a similar number in 2023 as we double the size of the company this year and add 10 more aircraft next year. That type of growth allows for excellent career progression.

Welcome to the team Adam!

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

tbaylx wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:05 am
Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:58 pm

Flair does not bypass qualified FO's to hire DEC's. Every qualified First Officer has been given the opportunity to bid on an upgrade here before DEC positions were offered. We are still short approximately 15 Captain positions in CYKF after the last bid.

There are some qualified FO's that chose to remain in their current base rather than commute or move to YKF. Another bid in the fall will capture additional internal upgrade opportunities for FO's who have become qualified for command after their first recurrent PPC.

We are onboarding over 150 pilots in 2022 and a similar number in 2023 as we double the size of the company this year and add 10 more aircraft next year. That type of growth allows for excellent career progression.

Welcome to the team Adam!
I hope those expansion plans materialize and they keep upgrading first from within. Flair wouldn't be the first one to realize its cheaper to hire DEC's over upgrading FO's.

BTW. What is your position with Flair? You'll have to forgive me for thinking you have some sort of managerial role based on your post history. At the very least, not just a regular line pilot.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

safetyfirst123 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:47 am Unfortunately it seems as though our fears about Sunwing bringing in Temporary Foreign Pilots this winter are coming true. Smartwings in Europe is posting availability this winter for crews to fly Canadian registered aircraft at Sunwing. Currently there are six Sunwing airplanes operating in Europe on behalf of TUI, so it would be reasonable to accept an equivalent amount of wet-leases this winter to help out Sunwing on a reciprocal basis. With a planned fleet of 40+ aircraft this winter, Sunwing is able to wet-lease 20% of its fleet with foreign aircraft, for a total of 8 wet-leases. Unfortunately the foreign pilots being planned from Smartwings are well above and beyond the planned 7 or 8 wet-leases, and way outside any reciprocal agreement.

Sunwing needs to hire approximately 150 pilots to crew for the winter season. This doesn't take into account the fact that many at Sunwing are leaving for Air Canada, Flair, and other opportunities. Significantly, the recent upgrade process at Sunwing for 20 spots magically went all the way to the bottom of the seniority list, whereby well over 30 qualified applicants were bypassed for generic reasons. Clearly Sunwing did this in order to show the government that there is a pilot shortage and they need foreign pilots. Thankfully many of those bypassed were offered Direct Entry Captain positions at Flair. Well played Flair!

Sunwing is having difficulty attracting qualified pilots, and it's easy to see why. There is no pilot shortage, but rather a pay shortage at companies like Sunwing. The new contract forced down the pilot's throats during COVID is concessionary and well below acceptable levels for such a successful company operating for over 15 years. This is evident by the number of resignations recently, and the high number no-shows to interviews. Sunwing is now interviewing very low time candidates in order to fill the seats.

Below is the information for Smartwings pilots being offered Temporary Foreign Pilot positions at Sunwing this winter. I hope those defending Sunwing just because it offers nice flying with fun layovers and great people will understand that this is simply unacceptable.

W2022/23 Sunwing Airlines Pilot Secondment Contract Information and Bidding

Dear colleagues,

It has been a while since we have been able to participate in the cooperation between Smartwings and Sunwing Airlines, but the wait is finally over, and I am pleased that I can pass on some initial information about the upcoming Sunwing Airlines pilot secondment contract. Firstly, I would like to state that this secondment contract is still being finalized and the estimates and Bases are subject to change, that aside, I believe that what will be stated here is also realistic.

Let's begin with the bases, currently the bases that are offered for Smartwings crews are:

YEG - Edmonton
YXE - Saskatoon
YQR- Regina

Regarding the numbers of crews at various Bases, we currently do not have the precise figures as each meeting introduces new and updated numbers, currently there is a slightly higher ratio of F/O's over the number of Captains requested by Sunwing. We have also been informed that namely YXE and YQR will consist mostly of our Smartwings Crews. Regarding bidding in the upcoming questionnaire, you will be asked to fill in your preferred deployment Base form #1 through #3, so all 3 Bases are to be filled in. The questionnaire will also include a field to enter other crew members whom you would like to Based with, as we do realize that many of you will be sharing accommodation costs. Although we will also do our best to accommodate your requests to be Based with other colleagues, that may not always be possible due to seniority and the number of available positions at each Base.

Now some information about training and deployment, as well as duration. Training is currently expected to commence early October and will continue throughout November as crews are progressively trained and deployed to their Bases. Training will consist of 5 days of Ground School (a mix of e-learning and classroom), followed by 4 Simulator sessions, these will mainly (and hopefully entirely) be based in PRG. Training will also consist of a "Line in-doc" as well as a "Line Check'; these will be flown either at a Sunwing hub and/or at your respective Bases. Line operations are expected to commence in November. Deployment is expected to last till mid to late April, and a few crews may be required until early May. The maximum duration will again be 6 months due to Canadian legislation. Sunwing has provided the initial minimum hours that must be attained by crews by the commencement of the deployment (yet to be confirmed), and are as follows:

CPT - 3000h Total & 500h on type
F/0 - 1000h Total & 500h on type
ICAO English Level 4

Please note, that at the moment, there is no minimum PIC hours for Captains, and F/O's require just 500h on a B737 and the rest on any type for a total of 1000h.

Please also note that the Sunwing pilot secondment contract is available only to those on a standard working contract, in other words those with a B2B and OSVC contract cannot be accepted. Those on a reduced (50%, 75°/o) part-time contract, wishing to participate in the Sunwing pilot secondment contract, will be required to raise their contracts to 100%

And now for the most important information ... $alary. The salary is divided into a "fixed" amount, which will be converted to your local currency and the amount is "before taxes" and a "cash" I amount, which includes per-diems, accommodation, transportation, and all other petty expenses. The "cash" amount will (most probably) be paid out in advance either in cash or will be transferred to your account. Here are the amounts, that have been approved by the board of directors for Captains and First Officers:

Captains and First Officers:

FIX: $9500USD per month
CASH: $5000UDS per month

First Officer
FIX: $5500USD per month
CASH: $5000USD per month

In addition to the above mentioned there will also be an incentive for flying from GDO's (Guaranteed Days Off), It amounts to $800USD for Captains and $400USD for First Officers per canceled GOO.

The questionnaire to bid for the Sunwing 2022/23 pilot secondment contract will be posted on Monday the 4th of July, and a link will be sent to everyone by email. This will be an initial Questionnaire regarding employee information and Base preference. Once the Bases are confirmed, and a timeline is set, we will post another questionnaire with available slots according to your assigned Base, as well as other required information.

Finally, some other information that has been confirmed or that is still being finalized. As in the past, Sunwing seniority will reflect the number of times a crew member has been on a previous Sunwing secondment deployment, and this will be combined with the Smartwings seniority system. Please keep in mind that our Smartwings crews' seniority will always be lower than the seniority of Sunwing crews. What is confirmed is quote: "Pilots would follow the Sunwing credit system. They would bid for flights in our system and follow Canadian FTL's''. With the introduction of MylDTravel you will now have the possibility to use staff tickets for yourselves or your families during the entire contract. As in previous years, it has been confirmed that you will be able to bid for up to 11 GDO's per month.

We hope that the news of the "Sunwing Pilot Secondment Contract" is welcome news to many of you, as it has been a long wait in very uncertain times. We also hope that we will be able to confirm as many of you as possible, preferably at your preferred base, although this will be very challenging.

Thank you for reading this far and on behalf of the Flight Operations Division we thank you for your time. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Adam Oke wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:40 pm
safetyfirst123 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:47 am Unfortunately it seems as though our fears about Sunwing bringing in Temporary Foreign Pilots this winter are coming true. Smartwings in Europe is posting availability this winter for crews to fly Canadian registered aircraft at Sunwing. Currently there are six Sunwing airplanes operating in Europe on behalf of TUI, so it would be reasonable to accept an equivalent amount of wet-leases this winter to help out Sunwing on a reciprocal basis. With a planned fleet of 40+ aircraft this winter, Sunwing is able to wet-lease 20% of its fleet with foreign aircraft, for a total of 8 wet-leases. Unfortunately the foreign pilots being planned from Smartwings are well above and beyond the planned 7 or 8 wet-leases, and way outside any reciprocal agreement.

Sunwing needs to hire approximately 150 pilots to crew for the winter season. This doesn't take into account the fact that many at Sunwing are leaving for Air Canada, Flair, and other opportunities. Significantly, the recent upgrade process at Sunwing for 20 spots magically went all the way to the bottom of the seniority list, whereby well over 30 qualified applicants were bypassed for generic reasons. Clearly Sunwing did this in order to show the government that there is a pilot shortage and they need foreign pilots. Thankfully many of those bypassed were offered Direct Entry Captain positions at Flair. Well played Flair!

Sunwing is having difficulty attracting qualified pilots, and it's easy to see why. There is no pilot shortage, but rather a pay shortage at companies like Sunwing. The new contract forced down the pilot's throats during COVID is concessionary and well below acceptable levels for such a successful company operating for over 15 years. This is evident by the number of resignations recently, and the high number no-shows to interviews. Sunwing is now interviewing very low time candidates in order to fill the seats.

Below is the information for Smartwings pilots being offered Temporary Foreign Pilot positions at Sunwing this winter. I hope those defending Sunwing just because it offers nice flying with fun layovers and great people will understand that this is simply unacceptable.

W2022/23 Sunwing Airlines Pilot Secondment Contract Information and Bidding

Dear colleagues,

It has been a while since we have been able to participate in the cooperation between Smartwings and Sunwing Airlines, but the wait is finally over, and I am pleased that I can pass on some initial information about the upcoming Sunwing Airlines pilot secondment contract. Firstly, I would like to state that this secondment contract is still being finalized and the estimates and Bases are subject to change, that aside, I believe that what will be stated here is also realistic.

Let's begin with the bases, currently the bases that are offered for Smartwings crews are:

YEG - Edmonton
YXE - Saskatoon
YQR- Regina

Regarding the numbers of crews at various Bases, we currently do not have the precise figures as each meeting introduces new and updated numbers, currently there is a slightly higher ratio of F/O's over the number of Captains requested by Sunwing. We have also been informed that namely YXE and YQR will consist mostly of our Smartwings Crews. Regarding bidding in the upcoming questionnaire, you will be asked to fill in your preferred deployment Base form #1 through #3, so all 3 Bases are to be filled in. The questionnaire will also include a field to enter other crew members whom you would like to Based with, as we do realize that many of you will be sharing accommodation costs. Although we will also do our best to accommodate your requests to be Based with other colleagues, that may not always be possible due to seniority and the number of available positions at each Base.

Now some information about training and deployment, as well as duration. Training is currently expected to commence early October and will continue throughout November as crews are progressively trained and deployed to their Bases. Training will consist of 5 days of Ground School (a mix of e-learning and classroom), followed by 4 Simulator sessions, these will mainly (and hopefully entirely) be based in PRG. Training will also consist of a "Line in-doc" as well as a "Line Check'; these will be flown either at a Sunwing hub and/or at your respective Bases. Line operations are expected to commence in November. Deployment is expected to last till mid to late April, and a few crews may be required until early May. The maximum duration will again be 6 months due to Canadian legislation. Sunwing has provided the initial minimum hours that must be attained by crews by the commencement of the deployment (yet to be confirmed), and are as follows:

CPT - 3000h Total & 500h on type
F/0 - 1000h Total & 500h on type
ICAO English Level 4

Please note, that at the moment, there is no minimum PIC hours for Captains, and F/O's require just 500h on a B737 and the rest on any type for a total of 1000h.

Please also note that the Sunwing pilot secondment contract is available only to those on a standard working contract, in other words those with a B2B and OSVC contract cannot be accepted. Those on a reduced (50%, 75°/o) part-time contract, wishing to participate in the Sunwing pilot secondment contract, will be required to raise their contracts to 100%

And now for the most important information ... $alary. The salary is divided into a "fixed" amount, which will be converted to your local currency and the amount is "before taxes" and a "cash" I amount, which includes per-diems, accommodation, transportation, and all other petty expenses. The "cash" amount will (most probably) be paid out in advance either in cash or will be transferred to your account. Here are the amounts, that have been approved by the board of directors for Captains and First Officers:

Captains and First Officers:

FIX: $9500USD per month
CASH: $5000UDS per month

First Officer
FIX: $5500USD per month
CASH: $5000USD per month

In addition to the above mentioned there will also be an incentive for flying from GDO's (Guaranteed Days Off), It amounts to $800USD for Captains and $400USD for First Officers per canceled GOO.

The questionnaire to bid for the Sunwing 2022/23 pilot secondment contract will be posted on Monday the 4th of July, and a link will be sent to everyone by email. This will be an initial Questionnaire regarding employee information and Base preference. Once the Bases are confirmed, and a timeline is set, we will post another questionnaire with available slots according to your assigned Base, as well as other required information.

Finally, some other information that has been confirmed or that is still being finalized. As in the past, Sunwing seniority will reflect the number of times a crew member has been on a previous Sunwing secondment deployment, and this will be combined with the Smartwings seniority system. Please keep in mind that our Smartwings crews' seniority will always be lower than the seniority of Sunwing crews. What is confirmed is quote: "Pilots would follow the Sunwing credit system. They would bid for flights in our system and follow Canadian FTL's''. With the introduction of MylDTravel you will now have the possibility to use staff tickets for yourselves or your families during the entire contract. As in previous years, it has been confirmed that you will be able to bid for up to 11 GDO's per month.

We hope that the news of the "Sunwing Pilot Secondment Contract" is welcome news to many of you, as it has been a long wait in very uncertain times. We also hope that we will be able to confirm as many of you as possible, preferably at your preferred base, although this will be very challenging.

Thank you for reading this far and on behalf of the Flight Operations Division we thank you for your time. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Somehow you're still missing the point, Adam. No one is arguing that what SW did was reasonable or justifiable in any way. It was disgusting and every pilot there right now should be rioting, declining all OT and using every single one of their sick and personal days. The point was highlighting your hypocritical behavior.

But hey, I'm sure when you tell the story of sticking to your morals and leaving a company that wronged you, you'll leave that part out.

ads-b
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ads-b »

Now your assuming that Flair is being operated the same as Sunwing when it comes to upgrades. That’s a large assumption..and that’s Adams point, I believe.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

The poster Tbaylx seems to indicate that no one at flair that was qualified and wanted an upgrade has been by-passed. I'll ignore the fact that he still hasn't answered my question as to what his position at FLair is, since its not secret he toes the company line as hard as he can. Anyways, I take "qualified" to mean that the person meets whatever matrix or requirements they have. Is it safe to assume that SW management is hiding behind this as well? Not upgrading people that while qualified, technically do not meet the contractual numbers in the CBA? Yes, I realize it's the biggest slap in the face to then turn around and look for foreign Captains with less experience.

Did Adam, and others by-passed meet the requirement as laid out in their contract?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:47 am The poster Tbaylx seems to indicate that no one at flair that was qualified and wanted an upgrade has been by-passed. I'll ignore the fact that he still hasn't answered my question as to what his position at FLair is, since its not secret he toes the company line as hard as he can.
Tbaylx is the Chief Pilot at Flair, so I assume he knows what he’s talking about. He has always seemed open to discuss hiring and other topics on this forum which is more than be said for a lot of managers.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:36 am
Tbayer2021 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:47 am The poster Tbaylx seems to indicate that no one at flair that was qualified and wanted an upgrade has been by-passed. I'll ignore the fact that he still hasn't answered my question as to what his position at FLair is, since its not secret he toes the company line as hard as he can.
Tbaylx is the Chief Pilot at Flair, so I assume he knows what he’s talking about. He has always seemed open to discuss hiring and other topics on this forum which is more than be said for a lot of managers.
Then forgive me for thinking his comments may be slightly skewed. Specially with his track record.

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:47 am The poster Tbaylx seems to indicate that no one at flair that was qualified and wanted an upgrade has been by-passed. I'll ignore the fact that he still hasn't answered my question as to what his position at FLair is, since its not secret he toes the company line as hard as he can. Anyways, I take "qualified" to mean that the person meets whatever matrix or requirements they have. Is it safe to assume that SW management is hiding behind this as well? Not upgrading people that while qualified, technically do not meet the contractual numbers in the CBA? Yes, I realize it's the biggest slap in the face to then turn around and look for foreign Captains with less experience.

Did Adam, and others by-passed meet the requirement as laid out in their contract?
They have stated already that many of them met the requirements for upgrade at Sunwing and were given zero clarification as to why they were bypassed. It's not that difficult to understand what Sunwing management is doing here. Read the previous posts and the other thread.

Jetlifer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jetlifer »

Just curious, is Sunwing still doing the European detachments?

If yes, I’m excited and will apply, if no, I’m not excited

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Handover »

Jetlifer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:50 am Just curious, is Sunwing still doing the European detachments?

If yes, I’m excited and will apply, if no, I’m not excited
Still doing it this year. They have announced that it will still happen next year, but ultimately it will be up to WestJet what happens beyond this year.

Jetlifer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jetlifer »

That’s fair.. hard to ultimately tell, but good to know in the short term. Where are you sent to mostly? London UK? Germany?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Jetlifer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:46 am That’s fair.. hard to ultimately tell, but good to know in the short term. Where are you sent to mostly? London UK? Germany?
Except for Amsterdam and Prague, you are usually sent to outlying airports. Think Cardiff (Wales), Belfast (Northern Ireland), Aberdeen or Edinburgh (Scotland), Rotterdam (Netherlands), Norwich or Doncaster/Sheffield (England), Brno or Ostrava (Czech Republic), Katowice (Poland), etc.

There used to be deployments to France, but that hasn't happened for a while, and I don't know if Sunwing ever deployed to Germany. Dublin was a base up until 2019, but Brexit might have permanently nixed that.

ads-b
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ads-b »

“Planing” and “doing” are two separate things. Sunwing has to plan like the merger isn’t going through. I wouldn’t count on deploying to Europe again.

Return to “Sunwing”