What the hell is wrong with hotel prices?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

What the hell is wrong with hotel prices?

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

So I'm looking at going away for the weekend, but everywhere I looked (Montreal, Toronto, Boston, etc) prices for hotels are between $400 - $1000 a night. What the hell is going on? I get it that we're in a bit of an inflation (**** *** T******), but this is outrageous.

Is there something "special" going on in North America this weekend? Are schools done and everyone going on vacation? (Not that I know of).

It's insane. Even small cities have outrageous hotel prices.
---------- ADS -----------

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: What the hell is wrong with hotel prices?

Post by TFTMB heavy »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 am So I'm looking at going away for the weekend, but everywhere I looked (Montreal, Toronto, Boston, etc) prices for hotels are between $400 - $1000 a night. What the hell is going on? I get it that we're in a bit of an inflation (**** *** T******), but this is outrageous.

Is there something "special" going on in North America this weekend? Are schools done and everyone going on vacation? (Not that I know of).

It's insane. Even small cities have outrageous hotel prices.
Pretty sure Montreal has F1 this weekend and there are a lot of graduations this time of year.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:03 am Pretty sure Montreal has F1 this weekend and there are a lot of graduations this time of year.
Yeah. I just found that out a few seconds ago from a buddy in Montreal. Okay, that makes sense. When something big happens in the city, hotel prices are jacked up (scalpers, I tell ya), but even small cities have average prices well over $300 a night. YYZ hotels are twice as expensive as I remember them being... It used to be you can get a decent room for $150. Not anymore.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

It’s the norm across most of Canada & USA. I’ve always asked hotels at check in the reason for the outrageous costs. A lot say they were hammered and running deficit’s for the last 2 years so they’re just trying to make up for it and pay down the debts they’ve run to make it through the pandemic. Other hotels have told me they are unable to run at 100% due to staffing issues so they’ve been forced to charge more and only make a certain number of rooms available.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

It’s also summer « high » season. With that said, I’ve found that the Hilton or Marriott average in most major Canadian cities has averaged 180-$260/night for the last two years or so.

Wanna visit Boston and stay in the core in August? It’s still outrageous at $650/night! :rolleyes:

TPC

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Hmm… stayed at the Prestige this weekend in a medium sized southern Canadian city… $164 on Expedia.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

‘Bob’ wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 am Hmm… stayed at the Prestige this weekend in a medium sized southern Canadian city… $164 on Expedia.
Long weekends tend to be cheap for hotels because no business traffic is staying there and lots of people that are travelling for vacation are staying with friends and family or going to a vacation spot.

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

Spent last night in a hotel, beautiful view room in Kamloops BC, for $189 included a $20 restaurant voucher, so breakfast cost me a $5 tip.

Whitney
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Even Duluth, MN right now is averaging $250-$350 a night when it used to be around $120.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

And car rentals are out of sight if you can even find one... jeezus...

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Stay at an airbnb. At least then you have a more comfortable and authentic stay, including a kitchen. You also support an individual family instead of some faceless US corporation.

YULCompanyManDan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YULCompanyManDan »

Just content I don't commute. Those poor fools that make the choice do that. Imbeciles!

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

Arnie Pye wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:16 am Stay at an airbnb. At least then you have a more comfortable and authentic stay, including a kitchen. You also support an individual family instead of some faceless US corporation.

Airbnbs aren't what they used to be, they have become insanely overpriced and a lot of the times owned by a cancerous corporation too.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Not so sure air bnb is so good anymore...

They are mostly dedicated short term rentals that drive up cost and reduce housing supply.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Not to mention a lot of weird nuisance rules. Which was fine if the going rate was half of a hotel rate, but if your airbnb rate is the same as a hotel rate, then I really don't care about your instructions on when to run the dishwasher or the passive aggressive feedback that one day the dishes were done an hour too late :rolleyes:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Arnie Pye wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:16 am Stay at an airbnb. At least then you have a more comfortable and authentic stay, including a kitchen. You also support an individual family instead of some faceless US corporation.
No. Boutique hotels.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:23 pm
No. Boutique hotels.
Examples would be nice.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:42 am
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:23 pm
No. Boutique hotels.
Examples would be nice.
There’s a bunch, but if you want location and a nice room (downtown Vancouver) the going rate is $500 in peak season

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

An airbnb that has a kitchen and laundry facilities is worth at least $100 more than a hotel room. Because if you're in the hotel, to eat you either order in delivery or go down to overpriced restaurants at the ground floor, for supper and breakfast. By being able to cook your own meal, you save mucho dinero.

And the existence of airbnb rentals are a legal loophole to exploit when there are outrageous rental laws that hamstring landlords the moment their renters become squatters. You can call the cops to kick to the curb a short-term rental squatter, but you need to wait a minimum of 3 months to kick a long-term "lease" renter.

Once again, government causes more problems than it solves.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”