Anyone know what it takes for a flight school to offer an ATPL program?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Great Lakes Airship
Rank 0
Rank 0

Anyone know what it takes for a flight school to offer an ATPL program?

Post by Great Lakes Airship »

Title is pretty self-explanatory. I've looked around at some flight schools in my area, and very very few have an integrated/frozen ATPL program for students. Most of them have just the regular modular commercial pilot programs where after commercial you do multi and group 1 Multi-ifr plus the option of getting your instructor license after but I'm looking more so towards programs similar to what WWFC in Waterloo and Brampton Flight Center offers in terms of an integrated/frozen ATPL programs for prospective students. I've been to numerous information sessions and I'm getting the same answer-back, just a simple "no" and no explanation of why or if it is even in their plans to offer it in the future.

Any insight into what offering an atpl program entails just from a flight school aspect would help me better understand the situations and what I should look out for as I continue to search.

Secondary Note: If there is substantial demand which I suspect there is especially in keen GTA areas, why do the Flight Schools not respond by expanding to offer these programs? It probably seems very naive to pose the question in this way but again, the information that has been given to me has been very limited but I am very curious in this regard.
---------- ADS -----------

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Anyone know what it takes for a flight school to offer an ATPL program?

Post by Turboprops »

Because… frozen ATPL doesn’t mean anything? you’re just a fresh CPL that wrote the exams at 250 hours instead of 750.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The answer is because nobody has figured out how to make any money from it. There is no extra ground school requirement for the ATPL exams beyond that required for the CPL. Most people self-study or take a relatively cheap online course. What would you imagine would be in an integrated ATPL programme that students would find worth paying for?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Great Lakes Airship
Rank 0
Rank 0

From what I have seen, the schools that offer this have a "Multi-Crew Cooperation Module" and additional courses that focus solely on ATPL and Airline Operations. Based on what you're saying, can this be done by an external party and outside the traditional modular approach?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Great Lakes Airship wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:20 pm From what I have seen, the schools that offer this have a "Multi-Crew Cooperation Module" and additional courses that focus solely on ATPL and Airline Operations. Based on what you're saying, can this be done by an external party and outside the traditional modular approach?
None of those things are required for an ATPL. So they can be done as part of an integrated course, by an external party, or in fact not at all.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "the traditional modular approach" Do you mean the concept of having different licences and ratings? That's the government (and ICAO) licencing structure that exists in Canada, which is, not unreasonably, mirrored by FTUs in what they offer students.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Great Lakes Airship
Rank 0
Rank 0

photofly wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:24 pm
Great Lakes Airship wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:20 pm From what I have seen, the schools that offer this have a "Multi-Crew Cooperation Module" and additional courses that focus solely on ATPL and Airline Operations. Based on what you're saying, can this be done by an external party and outside the traditional modular approach?
None of those things are required for an ATPL. So they can be done as part of an integrated course, by an external party, or in fact not at all.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "the traditional modular approach" Do you mean the concept of having different licences and ratings? That's the government (and ICAO) licencing structure that exists in Canada, which is, not unreasonably, mirrored by FTUs in what they offer students.
Yes, in the sense that you follow the model flow of attaining PPL, Night Rating, CPL, Mult, Group 1 IFR, Instructor.

Return to “Flight Training”