training bonds

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Would you take a job with a training bond?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:33 am

Never have, never will.
10%
Never have, but would.
52%
I have, but will not again.
7%
I have, and would again.
30%

Total votes: 67

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

C'mon, where are the meaty, intelligent arguements for and against? I know people are hitting on the poll. There are a lot of people here who normally aren't afraid to make their statement on an issue.
---------- ADS -----------

Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

The only time I was ever asked to sign a bond or training contract was with my first multi IFR employer.

I had been with them for 3 years flying a DHC-2 out east on the rock, good job, year round, good pay, made about $32K on the beaver in the last year and that was in 1985. Got my multi IFR and they checked me out on the Islander, Navajo and awhile later the B-99, I had been flying the B-99 for a couple of months already when a couple of new hires got trained on different airplanes and shortly after left for supposedly greener pastures with their new PPC's.

After they left the boss came up to me and asked if I would sign an agreement for the planes I was already PPC'd on, all I could do was laugh at him for asking me after the fact. I didn't sign anything.

I ended up staying there for another couple of years so I don't think there was any hard feelings when I left.

Needless to say that was the end of his goodwill training for new PPc's after the other couple of guys pulled the plug on him. Everyone after that was required to sign an agreement of some kind. That was the first I had heard of training contracts, so it certainly isn't anything new these days.

Thinking back, I would have signed an agreement if I had been asked before being trained. And in the future, if I changed companies, I would probably be receptive to signing an agreement for training with a new employer, but only if it was an agreement to stay with the employer for a specific period of time.

I would not be interested in doing the Jets-Go type of deal, whether it was an out and out paying for the check out or any other type of deal that required a cash outlay of any kind.

For the folks that do go that route, I don't have anything bad to say against them, fill your boots, it is a hard industry to get ahead in and you have to use all of resources that you have.(maybe literally, but you shoudn't) But that isn't something that I would do.

Cheers

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

I asked before, and didn't get much of an answer, so I'll state my question again.

For those of you who have gotten a training bond, what kind of protection did you get if the compnay either let you go, or worse, went under?

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

I have a buddy who recently got hired by $$Jetsgo$$, he was told in the interview, that even though the company would pay back the 30k over 2 years, if Jetsgo went under (for whatever reason), then he would be on the hook for the balance owed to him, in other words, Jetsgo is under no obligation to get his money back to him if they go "tits up"........sounds scary to me! :roll:

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

That's because Jetsgo isn't using a training bond. You are expected to get your own loan and they pay it off; so if you get fired or they go under, you are indeed on the hook for the whole amount. In a training bond, it's the company's money and you work it off; so if they fire you or go under, you're free and clear.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

So if it's only a training bond when the company arranges the financing and guarantees the payments (as long as you stick around for the payment period), what would you call "this" practice?

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

loopy wrote:So if it's only a training bond when the company arranges the financing and guarantees the payments (as long as you stick around for the payment period), what would you call "this" practice?
An unsecured loan?!!! :(

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Here's part of a reply from off the PPRUNE site, Canada forum, from a guy with the handle of "ehwatezedoing":

"Also, "endorsment money/training bond" is held on a fond/trust/whatever in such a manner that even if the company go bankrupt this will be pay back (with interest).
Maybe a way of keeping people on board the day Mr Leblanc will sell Jetsgo"

What way is Jetsgo doing it? Bond or just paying you to cover your own personal loan?

pimper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pimper »

You give them the money, JetsGo pays it back with interest. Could be a loan, line of credit, gift from santa clause..it does not matter.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

I spoke to a friend inside and it seems Jetsgo is just paying you your loan payments with interest over 2 years. No "trust". If you get your money back after the company possibly goes t*** up, it is purely out of the kindness of Mr. LeBlanc's heart.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

training bonds.

Post by oldtimer »

Ya just never know. I worked for a guy who had a reputation as being a hardass but. One pilot bonded for Lear training, flew the airplane twice and then lost his medical. The "hardass' boss paid out the loan that afternoon. Kept the guy on the payroll till medical insurance kicked in. Unfortunatly. the guy died 2 months later. You just never know.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Now that both sucks and blows for the guy! Really classy of your boss to do that for him though!

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: training bonds

Post by Johnny#5 »

Yeah! What he said!!!

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Ho-leeee blast from the nearly 10 year past!

human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

^ Indeed. That could take the 'Necro-post of 2013' award on Avcanada easily...

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Wow. Humans are pretty fragile.

What did he have that he went from holding a cat 1 to passing away so quickly?

Instructor_Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Instructor_Mike »

At my last medical the CAME told me that he did a medical for a guy and he was dead a week later. I can't remember if it was a heart attack or what but it was natural/medical related.

It was probably just a cat 3 "do you have a pulse" check, but still :shock:

Return to “General Comments”