“How old is too old”

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

“How old is too old”

Post by lidi »

Hi aviators,

I know that I’m probably going to have a few here making fun of my question but I’d like to hear from those that maybe were in my position for trying.

How old is too old to getting an entry level pilot position even flying for outfits like Porter and Jazz at the age of 56?

I’ll be retiring in a year at 56 after working at Air Canada below the wing operations and just wanted to see if I might have one more crack at a FO gig?

Has anyone gotten an FO in their 50s and will my experience below the wing will help?

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: “How old is too old”

Post by Loading... »

lidi wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:56 am Hi aviators,

I know that I’m probably going to have a few here making fun of my question but I’d like to hear from those that maybe were in my position for trying.

How old is too old to getting an entry level pilot position even flying for outfits like Porter and Jazz at the age of 56?

I’ll be retiring in a year at 56 after working at Air Canada below the wing operations and just wanted to see if I might have one more crack at a FO gig?

Has anyone gotten an FO in their 50s and will my experience below the wing will help?

Thank you
You will likely stick around longer than a younger pilot, so if I was operating an airline, it would only make sense to hire somebody older.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I would be worried on how you would get your first hours. Most entry level jobs aren't 55+ friendly.

Why not fly for fun? It would cost you less, and much more freedom.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

There’s no such thing as too old.

It’s just going to have to come with ever deteriorating standards to cover ever deteriorating stamina and options.

Agism is illegal, but generally your chances aren’t going to be as great if your career progression up to that point didn’t look like you starting from zero hours 5 years before and having one or two entry level commercial jobs.

And if you get the job, you’re going to be struggling to keep up with people half your age in what will likely be a punishing lifestyle of commuting, crashpads and hotels, reserve, multi-leg days and quick turnarounds, busy airports going to busier airports or under serviced airports, delays, irregular operations, and not enough days off….. and definitely not enough pay.

I’ve known a couple of older guys who wanted to check off the bucket list of being an airline pilot and neither lasted longer than two years. You just give up so much.

Even myself over a decade younger with years of relevant experience I wouldn’t start at ground level at a regional airline in Canada.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

lidi wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:56 am Hi aviators,

Thank you
Just do the math, if you start at Jazz at 56, and maybe do 2 years in the right seat (assuming you don't have time), your total career earning potential is about 720 k before mandatory retirement at 65. That averages out to 80k a year. If you're ok with that, and you're ok with making 40k your first year, then giver. That's not worth it to me.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

Learning to fly in a 2 crew environment for the first time in your mid 50's brings it's own challenges.

matt foley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by matt foley »

Everyone is different. But having witnessed given pilots training every year over many many years and myself being part of an ageing group, one thing is undeniable and that's this: LEARNING AND RETAINING GETS WAY HARDER AFTER 50!!!!!!

Don't belie me, ask pilots north of 50 that had been on one type for 10 years about their training on a new type recently. It is not easy. Allow for double the study and half the retention time. Line inde-indoc trends toward double. As Gretzky said, his lack of desire to work harder off season and at practice while the skill set of others increased was not compatible with continued dominance.

That is the only thing Wayne and I have in common. Thy end is near!!

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lidi »

matt foley wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:17 pm Everyone is different. But having witnessed given pilots training every year over many many years and myself being part of an ageing group, one thing is undeniable and that's this: LEARNING AND RETAINING GETS WAY HARDER AFTER 50!!!!!!

Don't belie me, ask pilots north of 50 that had been on one type for 10 years about their training on a new type recently. It is not easy. Allow for double the study and half the retention time. Line inde-indoc trends toward double. As Gretzky said, his lack of desire to work harder off season and at practice while the skill set of others increased was not compatible with continued dominance.

That is the only thing Wayne and I have in common. Thy end is near!!
Thank you for your reply much appreciated.

So are we saying that life as a pilot flying frames like a Dash 8 which is what I would like to reach is going to make my life more harder physically and mentally?

Thanks

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

It can be done for sure. I know someone who retired from their previous career at 62 and decided to give it a go. Dusted off his old CPL that he never used before. Got a turbo prop fo gig and was captain about 18 months later. He did have about 1000 hrs from private flying. As far as I know he’s still flying part time, he’s about 70 now.

missedapproach
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by missedapproach »

Matt hit the nail on the head. I am north of 50 as are many of my friends and new type training is brutal. Used to just coast through
training and indoc now it is really touch and go to get it done. As matt says your retention deteriorates noticeably and learning becomes
significantly more challenging. I am also assuming you have already completed training for cpl multi IFR ? That is a 2 year and 70 to 90 K
touch with real after tax dollars not to mention the time commitment. Another consideration is your health and the fact that you can
lose your medical for any number of reasons and the probability of that happening increases dramatically after 60. Good luck

Return to “Employment Forum”