Home at Night

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Home at Night

Post by yowflyer23 »

I'm curious... Which airlines offer single-day pairings that are obtainable with low seniority pretty consistently? I saw a thread in the Transat subforum on this topic and apparently it goes junior. That surprised me. Are there any other companies that offer this? I heard Porter has single days, but are they senior?
---------- ADS -----------

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Home at Night

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I think Flair does from what I hear. I am also looking for a home every night job and hopefully not based at YYZ because of all the delays...

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

yowflyer23 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:14 am I'm curious... Which airlines offer single-day pairings that are obtainable with low seniority pretty consistently? I saw a thread in the Transat subforum on this topic and apparently it goes junior. That surprised me. Are there any other companies that offer this? I heard Porter has single days, but are they senior?
Flair, 95%+ of the trips are single days, virtually no layovers outside of training and our winter Tuscon "base"

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:25 am I think Flair does from what I hear. I am also looking for a home every night job and hopefully not based at YYZ because of all the delays...
Flair has a YKF and YOW base

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

flying4dollars wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:18 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:25 am I think Flair does from what I hear. I am also looking for a home every night job and hopefully not based at YYZ because of all the delays...
That would be the dream. If I can match or better my Jazz captain pay and be home every night at the YKF base, life would be pretty good. Kind of concerned about the long term stability with Flair though versus Jazz or AC.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 pm
flying4dollars wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:18 am
That would be the dream. If I can match or better my Jazz captain pay and be home every night at the YKF base, life would be pretty good. Kind of concerned about the long term stability with Flair though versus Jazz or AC.
I think to a lot of peoples surprise, the fact that Flair was able to survive the pandemic should address any concerns about their long term stability. I have several friends at Flair and they all really enjoy it there. Lifestyle and culture are pretty great from what I hear and two of them had long standing applications with AC and both turned it down/haven't responded for requests for interviews. I think that says alot about how well Flair is doing and how content people that work there are. I'm questioning my own career goals on whether to continue on the path to Big Red or jump ship to seemingly greener pastures.

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

I don't work for flair, however I do think they are and will be a super stable company.

You can't compare them with westjet and AC. Their business model is completely different. They do whatever they can to keep costs down such as basing pilots in many locations, flying places with cheap landing fees, and even getting some of these towns to pay for their crew per diems, hotels, operating costs in and out of their airports (This is the case with Tuscon AZ) and are only adding more US airports to the list that will provide this.

They only fly brand new planes with little to no maintenance costs and will frequently replace these aircraft.

History has shown us that in every economic downturn the ULCC carriers will take more of the market share. This is why Ryanair and easyJet have grown to what they've become. No vacation packages, no credit cards, no rewards, no outdated gas guzzling part time hangar queen airplanes.

I personally think the people trying to drive home flair being bad, shady, and unstable are scared management from AC and Westjet.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

I heard Porter has single days, but are they senior?
Porter has 1, 2, 3, and 4 day pairings. All based on the commercial schedule that comes out, based on forecasted customer demand.

In you're hoping to get single days based in YOW, all I have to say is good luck!

Right now the majority of the single days go to the top 3 (1-2-3), with 2 of them being Trainers. 12+ years of seniority.

The next 3 (4-5-6) on the seniority list will get the rest of the less desirable 1 day. They often choose high credit 2 days over the weekdays.

The middle of the pack (6-10) will get those leftover, and the pick of the litter for 3 days during the week.

Junior staff (10-15) will get stuck with low credit 3 days during the week, and low credit 3 days over the weekends.

Newly upgraded (15-21) will sit on reserve. Very few 4 days out of YOW, since the return from Covid; prior, it would depend on the high/low season, and the amount of staff (lean)

It does occur that some months that the middle of the pack crews will opt for Reserve, and hope to be senior enough to hold weekends off (normally during the summer, as the top crews will be on vacation).

YOW is a fairly senior base with the middle of the pack ranging in the 7-10 years of service, Junior is about 3-4.

That said YOW has doubled in size (10 to 20), in preparation for the E2's; once certification is granted, spots will open up as the senior crews transition over to the jet.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:38 pm
I heard Porter has single days, but are they senior?
Porter has 1, 2, 3, and 4 day pairings. All based on the commercial schedule that comes out, based on forecasted customer demand.

In you're hoping to get single days based in YOW, all I have to say is good luck!

Right now the majority of the single days go to the top 3 (1-2-3), with 2 of them being Trainers. 12+ years of seniority.

The next 3 (4-5-6) on the seniority list will get the rest of the less desirable 1 day. They often choose high credit 2 days over the weekdays.

The middle of the pack (6-10) will get those leftover, and the pick of the litter for 3 days during the week.

Junior staff (10-15) will get stuck with low credit 3 days during the week, and low credit 3 days over the weekends.

Newly upgraded (15-21) will sit on reserve. Very few 4 days out of YOW, since the return from Covid; prior, it would depend on the high/low season, and the amount of staff (lean)

It does occur that some months that the middle of the pack crews will opt for Reserve, and hope to be senior enough to hold weekends off (normally during the summer, as the top crews will be on vacation).

YOW is a fairly senior base with the middle of the pack ranging in the 7-10 years of service, Junior is about 3-4.

That said YOW has doubled in size (10 to 20), in preparation for the E2's; once certification is granted, spots will open up as the senior crews transition over to the jet.
Is it much the same story in Toronto?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”