Canadian North

Discuss topics relating to Canadian North.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Canadian North

Post by Aspiredtofly »

I see that Canadian north is currently hiring pilots. If someone can then please could you share some details about the company. I'm looking for training time on different aircrafts, bases, pay, pension, quality of life and work life balance. Any recent information on this would mean alot
---------- ADS -----------

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Canadian North

Post by young grasshopper »

Aspired,

We’re seeing a huge hiring spree happen at the moment- I suppose you could say that now is the time to get in; much like other organizations.

An area that I believe we excel is our lifestyle. I am YZF-based and I would guess that our normal line pilots average about 25 nights/month at home (this includes sim every 6 months). I can’t speak to our YEG/YYC bases, but I would venture to guess that it is about the same. Our YOW/YFB ATR pilots operate on more of a traditional rotational schedule. However, a new contract has allowed bidding (seniority based) to influence days off/pairings (typically 8-15 day pairings). Our YOW Boeing pilots do YOW flying and pairings in YWG/YUL. My best guess would be that they are away 10-12 days a month. Just a guess- someone correct me if I’m out to lunch!

Like any company, we have the same challenges as other operators. But I can honestly say that we have a lot of great people that make a days work go by really well! Bases vary in size, but are anywhere from about 25 to 50 pilots per base. If you have good people (which we do!), these small base-sizes are usually a good thing!

In terms of salary, it varies greatly. I will say that we are paid really well for the work we do, and most people are happy with their pay cheques. A new collective agreement has changed how we’re paid, but I think the majority of pilots are happy with the changes. I would guess that we start around 30-40% higher than most of the 705 regionals.

You asked about training times, and I can’t give you an exact number of days (depends on sim/instructor availability etc), but Initial GS (online and in-person) is typically three weeks. Sim is 2.5 weeks. Then Line-Indoc is about a month. These are all rough estimates. Our contract has prioritized time off, and we work a maximum of 18 days/month (on months with 31 days, we usually end up getting 13 days off).

I hope this information helps. PM for any further questions. Good luck with your next move!

Jeff

YG
Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

young grasshopper wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:39 am Aspired,

We’re seeing a huge hiring spree happen at the moment- I suppose you could say that now is the time to get in; much like other organizations.

An area that I believe we excel is our lifestyle. I am YZF-based and I would guess that our normal line pilots average about 25 nights/month at home (this includes sim every 6 months). I can’t speak to our YEG/YYC bases, but I would venture to guess that it is about the same. Our YOW/YFB ATR pilots operate on more of a traditional rotational schedule. However, a new contract has allowed bidding (seniority based) to influence days off/pairings (typically 8-15 day pairings). Our YOW Boeing pilots do YOW flying and pairings in YWG/YUL. My best guess would be that they are away 10-12 days a month. Just a guess- someone correct me if I’m out to lunch!

Like any company, we have the same challenges as other operators. But I can honestly say that we have a lot of great people that make a days work go by really well! Bases vary in size, but are anywhere from about 25 to 50 pilots per base. If you have good people (which we do!), these small base-sizes are usually a good thing!

In terms of salary, it varies greatly. I will say that we are paid really well for the work we do, and most people are happy with their pay cheques. A new collective agreement has changed how we’re paid, but I think the majority of pilots are happy with the changes. I would guess that we start around 30-40% higher than most of the 705 regionals.

You asked about training times, and I can’t give you an exact number of days (depends on sim/instructor availability etc), but Initial GS (online and in-person) is typically three weeks. Sim is 2.5 weeks. Then Line-Indoc is about a month. These are all rough estimates. Our contract has prioritized time off, and we work a maximum of 18 days/month (on months with 31 days, we usually end up getting 13 days off).

I hope this information helps. PM for any further questions. Good luck with your next move!

Jeff
Thank you alot for your time Jeff, I've received personal pms in my inbox about the company and pretty much every one of them are happy to talk to me. Thank you for the info

gtm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gtm »

Does anyone have current info on salary, schedule, pairings for YYC based jet FOs? Also where is GS/Sim? Thank you in advance.

Return to “Canadian North”