hey:)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

bamb1pz
Rank 0
Rank 0

hey:)

Post by bamb1pz »

I just wanted to ask what is a back pressure and forward pressure on an aircraft. I believe they are related to ailerons but just wanted to ask anyways. Sorry if its a silly question, im just trying to learn air exercises myself as i did not purchase online school yet.
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: hey:)

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Back pressure is what you exert on the seat. When you want to go faster lean back, slower lean forward, just like skiing :D

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: hey:)

Post by ZBBYLW »

It's going to be great once you get the ground school started, a good ground school would be very detailed and cover things a forum can not.

Back and forward pressure would generally be in relation to the elevators.

Applying a bit of back pressure on take off can get the nose wheel off the ground a bit sooner for things such as a soft field landing where the nose wheel may have a tendency to dig into soft grass and slow you acceleration. In the air during a turn as the bank angle gets steeper you'll have to progressively apply back pressure on the control column/stick to keep the nose from falling and thus descending.

Applying forward pressure during a takeoff with a tail wheel aircraft will help the aircraft's tail come up so you have a flatter attitude, this will improve acceleration and visibility. On a wheel landing (2 wheel) as the main wheels are touching down applying forward pressure will decrease the angle of attack which will help the wheels stay on the runway helping counteract a bouncing tenancy.

Forward pressure: pushing the stick/yoke/control column.
Aft pressure: Pulling

Return to “Flight Training”