Aviation College or Flight School?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Aviationenthusiast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Aviation College or Flight School?

Post by Aviationenthusiast »

I'm going into grade 12 this year and around November/December, I'm going to start applying for my post secondary studies. I've always wanted to become a pilot since a child and I've done intensive research for the last 2 years about all the requirements, licences, ratings, schools, colleges, etc..
I just wanted to know which path is overall better (today and for the upcoming years) to being an airline pilot. Aviation college or a flight school? :?
---------- ADS -----------

georgexxx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Aviation College or Flight School?

Post by georgexxx »

Highly recommended UnitedSky Pilot Academy for private & commercial training. Highly professional instructors to help you every step of the way for your training. Great flying school to fly with!

Classofsault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Classofsault »

Sounds like you’ve done a bit of research. If you have a heart set on flying, give it some more consideration. It can be a difficult career with many layoffs in your lifetime. It can be very costly, with low salary coming out expectations. With that said it can be quite rewarding as well and satisfying.

Personally 110% I would pursue it at a flight school rather than a college program. Go to school and get a secondary career that you can fall back on cannot recommend this enough. Going to university, allows you to fly at your own pace at a flight school. You’ll find you a safe Time by doing this.

If on a purely financial basis you cannot do this, then maybe consider a college a few are subsidized. Understand though of these programs typically do not finish on time and have a lower success rate. Sault has posted rates as low as 38-40%.

SAULT COLLEGE … take a pass!!

As posted it on here and other sites there have been some major issues with this program. It is a government subsidize program, Which means it tends to be overcrowded as they are funded per seat/student. This was stated by a recent student who posted a YouTube video of his issues. In it he stated The school keeps the government funding whether the students complete the program or not. Even if the students leave the program it appears they keep the full amount of the funding. As well as class room academics were a year ahead of his flying because of flight training delays. lThere have been a number of posts of students suing, one parent recently settled with a School this year ,2022, and received their full tuition back plus expenses. This after their class year was flying over a year behind schedule. Students entered their last/third year of the program still Trying to finish the private license and they started in year one. Many of the students just left, Or failed from inconsistent flying.

Before you invest your education savings, or go into debt with OSAP loans, Make sure you know what is right for you. Typically less then 50% of the students in the program above successfully finish. How do you feel being in debt spending years year time, and not completing the program So spend your money wisely.

Jiffy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jiffy »

My kid just finished his first year at the Sault College. So far so good. Past his ppl and is currently in class and doing cross countries. Their is a lot of negative reporting about the College by disgruntled fail outs. Sure they have lost a lot of students for failed in class tests and check rides. It seems he is happy with the scheduling so far. Good luck and remember to do your research and take everything on here relating to the Sault with a grain of salt. Even my side.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

georgexxx wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:08 am Highly recommended UnitedSky Pilot Academy for private & commercial training. Highly professional instructors to help you every step of the way for your training. Great flying school to fly with!
I've never heard of that school. Where is it located?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Subsidized aviation college > flight school + some degree > non-subsidized college/university program, IMO.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Bede wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:57 am
georgexxx wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:08 am Highly recommended UnitedSky Pilot Academy for private & commercial training. Highly professional instructors to help you every step of the way for your training. Great flying school to fly with!
I've never heard of that school. Where is it located?
It's in Warsaw, Poland. Not sure why the poster feels it's worth mentioning on this site. :rolleyes:

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Aviationenthusiast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Classofsault wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:08 am Sounds like you’ve done a bit of research. If you have a heart set on flying, give it some more consideration. It can be a difficult career with many layoffs in your lifetime. It can be very costly, with low salary coming out expectations. With that said it can be quite rewarding as well and satisfying.

Personally 110% I would pursue it at a flight school rather than a college program. Go to school and get a secondary career that you can fall back on cannot recommend this enough. Going to university, allows you to fly at your own pace at a flight school. You’ll find you a safe Time by doing this.

If on a purely financial basis you cannot do this, then maybe consider a college a few are subsidized. Understand though of these programs typically do not finish on time and have a lower success rate. Sault has posted rates as low as 38-40%.

SAULT COLLEGE … take a pass!!

As posted it on here and other sites there have been some major issues with this program. It is a government subsidize program, Which means it tends to be overcrowded as they are funded per seat/student. This was stated by a recent student who posted a YouTube video of his issues. In it he stated The school keeps the government funding whether the students complete the program or not. Even if the students leave the program it appears they keep the full amount of the funding. As well as class room academics were a year ahead of his flying because of flight training delays. lThere have been a number of posts of students suing, one parent recently settled with a School this year ,2022, and received their full tuition back plus expenses. This after their class year was flying over a year behind schedule. Students entered their last/third year of the program still Trying to finish the private license and they started in year one. Many of the students just left, Or failed from inconsistent flying.

Before you invest your education savings, or go into debt with OSAP loans, Make sure you know what is right for you. Typically less then 50% of the students in the program above successfully finish. How do you feel being in debt spending years year time, and not completing the program So spend your money wisely.
That's interesting, I've heard many mixed reviews about Sault (mostly good ones). I think I'll apply to all of them and see which is best at the time! thanks

Aviationenthusiast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Brudda thats in Poland :rolleyes:

Aviationenthusiast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Jiffy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:43 pm My kid just finished his first year at the Sault College. So far so good. Past his ppl and is currently in class and doing cross countries. Their is a lot of negative reporting about the College by disgruntled fail outs. Sure they have lost a lot of students for failed in class tests and check rides. It seems he is happy with the scheduling so far. Good luck and remember to do your research and take everything on here relating to the Sault with a grain of salt. Even my side.
That's great to hear that your child enjoying Sault College's aviation program. Based of what I've been told, most tend to prefer Thunder Bay's Confederation college over Saults but i'll have to do more research on that. cheers

Aviationenthusiast
Rank 1
Rank 1

lownslow wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:49 am Subsidized aviation college > flight school + some degree > non-subsidized college/university program, IMO.
That's how it's looking for me too at the moment! Most are saying that subsidized aviation college pathway is the best one due to its relatively lower price. Unless you've got 100k sitting there than maybe flight school would be a quicker option.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Aviationenthusiast wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:21 am That's how it's looking for me too at the moment! Most are saying that subsidized aviation college pathway is the best one due to its relatively lower price.
To be fair, the zero-to-hero speed record contenders I know have all trained privately by day, tended bar at night, and gotten more ass than a toilet seat the rest of the time. It takes a certain drive to keep that going but it’s an option.

Return to “Flight Training”