How backed up is hiring???

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: How backed up is hiring???

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

The big difference here compared to the US is that you can put a 250 hour pilot into the right seat of any aircraft. Encore I last heard is starting to hire 250 hour pilots later this year when the training program is approved. I’m sure Jazz won’t be far behind if staffing levels become more serious. So that takes care of the FO issue. That isn’t going to help with a shortage of qualified captains though, so maybe there will be some retention incentives coming there.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:16 pm The big difference here compared to the US is that you can put a 250 hour pilot into the right seat of any aircraft. Encore I last heard is starting to hire 250 hour pilots later this year when the training program is approved. I’m sure Jazz won’t be far behind if staffing levels become more serious. So that takes care of the FO issue. That isn’t going to help with a shortage of qualified captains though, so maybe there will be some retention incentives coming there.
Jazz has been hiring 250 hours for several years. At least the last 5 years.

Jazz was one of the first subscribers of direct flow college programs (Jazz Pathways).

Those hiring demographics from 2018 and beyond plus the COVID flying lull are part of the reason that Jazz is short of upgradeable pilots.

https://flyjazz.ca/en/careers/pilots/pathwaysprogram/

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Transition9er2 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:17 pm
rudder wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:03 am
KenoraPilot wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:10 am 12 in Sept 19 I believe
Oct 31 will be next GS for Jazz
So from Aug 29 until Oct 31 (9 weeks) Jazz will have hired approximately 51 pilots (19/12/20). Meanwhile, AC is hiring 40 pilots every 2 weeks (so nearly 160 over same time frame). 96+ should come from Jazz (but will not).

What is the problem at Jazz? I have heard lack of instructor resources.

Hiring and training is a planning exercise. Is there a problem at the planning level?

I doubt this deficiency is sustainable.
AC isn’t hiring 40 every class. I don’t think they’ve managed a class of 40 all year.

Latest PIT that just finished week 1 has 29. Last PIT class had 32.

Everyone is told there’s a stack of resumes and there’s no shortage of applicants… yet I don’t think jazz or AC has managed to fill a single class to expectations all year.

Could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Latest is 29 yes, the one before was 37. The plan is for 30-40 per class, twice a month

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

rudder wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:21 pm
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:16 pm The big difference here compared to the US is that you can put a 250 hour pilot into the right seat of any aircraft. Encore I last heard is starting to hire 250 hour pilots later this year when the training program is approved. I’m sure Jazz won’t be far behind if staffing levels become more serious. So that takes care of the FO issue. That isn’t going to help with a shortage of qualified captains though, so maybe there will be some retention incentives coming there.
Jazz has been hiring 250 hours for several years. At least the last 5 years.

Jazz was one of the first subscribers of direct flow college programs (Jazz Pathways).

Those hiring demographics from 2018 and beyond plus the COVID flying lull are part of the reason that Jazz is short of upgradeable pilots.

https://flyjazz.ca/en/careers/pilots/pathwaysprogram/
Yes, but I think what Canada flyer was referring too is hiring 250 hour guys/gals off the street, no college pathway program or anything like that, and based on what I'm reading/hearing, if this "shortage" is as bad as they say, or is going to get worse, then I suppose that could become a reality

If it does happen, it's going to be a good thing for lower hour pilots, but definitely not for wages...interesting times ahead

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Jazz and all others 705 operators for that matter will have no problem finding low time pilots at low wages but these are NOT the pilots needed. They need "upgradable" pilots or ones that will within a two-to-three-year window be upgradeable. A freshly minted 250-hour pilot will not solve the experience issues they are currently facing; it will only make it worse.

The only thing that will attract what they need is money, a lot more money and a career path. Be it flow to a Mothership or staying put with an improved long-term earnings and pension outlook.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

I definitely flew with a few low time non college flow FOs back in 17/18. Not quite 250 hours but a few around 400-500.

The problem these days is the pic time. I know people hired in 15/16 that still don't have an atpl due to pic time. And picus is impossible to get and has been next to impossible for years. The people I know who went to Jazz without the pic time and made it to captain all ate the cost and rented to get to the minimums.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:10 pm Jazz and all others 705 operators for that matter will have no problem finding low time pilots at low wages but these are NOT the pilots needed. They need "upgradable" pilots or ones that will within a two-to-three-year window be upgradeable. A freshly minted 250-hour pilot will not solve the experience issues they are currently facing; it will only make it worse.

The only thing that will attract what they need is money, a lot more money and a career path. Be it flow to a Mothership or staying put with an improved long-term earnings and pension outlook.
%100

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”