How low will they go?

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bluenoser29
Rank 0
Rank 0

How low will they go?

Post by Bluenoser29 »

Hi Folks,

A question I have is in the short term future (1 yr or less) do you think Encore will actually be considering and hiring 500 hour pilots? Maybe even lower? Have you or anyone you know been interviewed with low time?

Curious on peoples thoughts.
---------- ADS -----------

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: How low will they go?

Post by goingmissed »

Bluenoser29 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:55 am Hi Folks,

A question I have is in the short term future (1 yr or less) do you think Encore will actually be considering and hiring 500 hour pilots? Maybe even lower?

There are enough pilots with over 1000 hours willing to take a step up from living in their parents' basement making $15,000 per year as an instructor to living in their parents' basement making $40,000 per year as an Encore first officer.

If you're asking because you have 500 hours then throw your resume in. Keep flying and gaining experience. You will get in soon enough.

Enjoy the flying as much as you can because once you get to the airlines, the flying changes. It is fun and rewarding, but in a very different way.

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

A question I have is in the short term future (1 yr or less) do you think Encore will actually be considering and hiring 500 hour pilots? Maybe even lower? Have you or anyone you know been interviewed with low time?

Hello,

I applied to the YYZ posting in February and YYC posting in May with 250 hours experience and got rejected for both.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

pild04 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:01 pm Hello,

I applied to the YYZ posting in February and YYC posting in May with 250 hours experience and got rejected for both.
I don't mean any offense to you, but that is the way it should be. The company is unable to treat it's pilots with respect and as a result many pilots are leaving. The training team is under great stress trying to train new pilots and keep retained pilots current. There is no way in hell that they could safely bring someone with your experience level up to the level required the way we're running right now.

There are plenty of jobs out there for low time pilots. Go enjoy and try again in a few years. If you are open to living in Vancouver, Pacific Coastal is paying more for B1900 first officers than Encore is.

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

goingmissed wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:10 am

I don't mean any offense to you, but that is the way it should be. The company is unable to treat it's pilots with respect and as a result many pilots are leaving. The training team is under great stress trying to train new pilots and keep retained pilots current. There is no way in hell that they could safely bring someone with your experience level up to the level required the way we're running right now.

There are plenty of jobs out there for low time pilots. Go enjoy and try again in a few years. If you are open to living in Vancouver, Pacific Coastal is paying more for B1900 first officers than Encore is.
Thanks for the tips! I tried PASCO but they are looking for FOs with 750+ hours.

No Smoke, No Fire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Smoke, No Fire »

^This. There are so many posts recently of very low time pilots asking if company XYZ will actually take them, will they actually hire at 250 hours etc etc. Stop putting all your eggs in the “I have a fresh CPL and I’m going straight to Encore” basket. Apply to 703’s, instructing, float gigs if you’ve gotten yourself a rating etc, and go live it and breathe it for a couple years. You’ll learn a ton.

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

No Smoke, No Fire wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:02 am

^This. There are so many posts recently of very low time pilots asking if company XYZ will actually take them, will they actually hire at 250 hours etc etc. Stop putting all your eggs in the “I have a fresh CPL and I’m going straight to Encore” basket. Apply to 703’s, instructing, float gigs if you’ve gotten yourself a rating etc, and go live it and breathe it for a couple years. You’ll learn a ton.
This is also true. Had the option when the ink was drying from my mifr to go to a king air fo or pipeline/survey.

Had I gone the king air route I could have joined my friends at the airlines way sooner but I would have had no pic.

Don't regret going survey because it taught me a lot helped me grow exponentially as a pilot and the memories and friends I made there were awesome. Wouldn't trade it in.

Enjoy the first few years do something fun for the experience and memories. You won't get them at the airlines because it's a different fun

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

No Smoke, No Fire wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:02 am

Thank you! I read through all the good advice here while working on my licenses. I am aware of the gigs out there and have applied to all. I have not been able to find anything for the past 8 months but won't give up.

Just wanted to give the OP an update regarding the low-time hiring status at Encore right now.

InSanes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by InSanes »

The company have not hired anyone under 1000 hours yet. Like others have said in previous post, there are a lot of demand for pilots currently in many 703/704 to build your hours

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

InSanes wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:05 am The company have not hired anyone under 1000 hours yet. Like others have said in previous post, there are a lot of demand for pilots currently in many 703/704 to build your hours
Considering that take home pay is as low as $2400 per month, they're going to have to start cutting their requirements to get pilots who are willing to choose between food and gas on a daily basis.

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

_____serious Question for ALPA \\\\\\\\\please ask theM on signal chat groups.

What is the update on the merger talks between WEN ALPA and the company? If ALPA says the company is still not saying anything please tell ALPA that if they were as persistent and kept on calling and emailing the company like they are about the safety survey, they will get an answer!

Why are you guys not as focused about the merger or improving wages ALPA? I say this because the number of emails and comms about a safety survey is starting to get annoying.. Yet there has been no improvement in our working conditions! Please wake up WENALPA! :rolleyes:

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Apestogetherstrong wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:55 am _____serious Question for ALPA \\\\\\\\\please ask theM on signal chat groups.

What is the update on the merger talks between WEN ALPA and the company? If ALPA says the company is still not saying anything please tell ALPA that if they were as persistent and kept on calling and emailing the company like they are about the safety survey, they will get an answer!

Why are you guys not as focused about the merger or improving wages ALPA? I say this because the number of emails and comms about a safety survey is starting to get annoying.. Yet there has been no improvement in our working conditions! Please wake up WENALPA! :rolleyes:
If you seriously wanted to ask this question, you would have gone through the appropriate channels.

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

goingmissed wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:13 am
Apestogetherstrong wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:55 am _____serious Question for ALPA \\\\\\\\\please ask theM on signal chat groups.

If you seriously wanted to ask this question, you would have gone through the appropriate channels.

Last edited by Apestogetherstrong on Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Apestogetherstrong wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:56 am
goingmissed wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:13 am

Nashbandicoot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nashbandicoot »

Don't think they'll be merging with Encore..

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

I wish Canada would introduce a 1500 hr minimum. It’s worked wonders in the US.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:12 pm I wish Canada would introduce a 1500 hr minimum. It’s worked wonders in the US.
I think that making TFWs far more expensive and less attractive would bring more immediate change.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

I hear they will hire at 250 hours

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

doiwannabeapilot wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:46 am I hear they will hire at 250 hours
I hear that they will have a job for all of us when they kill the YYZ WR base.

Like all rumours, they're just words until (and IF) they are acted upon.

Return to “WestJet Encore”