Jazz & AC YOW Overnights

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Jazz & AC YOW Overnights

Post by yowflyer23 »

Are you able to bid YOW overnights at both AC and Jazz, and if so, how junior/senior do you need to be to be able to do so? I understand that a lot of YOW folks do the commute to YUL/YYZ, but just curious if there's the possibility to be home more often despite not being based in YOW. Also, if you have a layover in the city you live in, does it cause any problems if you skip out on the hotel and go home for the night? i.e. do they require you to stay in the hotel per the contract?

Many thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Jazz & AC YOW Overnights

Post by teacher »

AC has many crews that overnight in YOW and I believe Jazz does too. Usually it’s the narrow body crews like the A220, A320 and the Max.

You can request YOW layovers for sure on your monthly bid.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

Thanks Teacher!

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

Jazz also has a lot a crews overnighting in ottawa. Not exactly pre-Covid levels where the hotel sign in sheet was three pages. But you’ll get pilots from all bases overnighting in ottawa, mostly RJ and a few Q crews.

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

Thanks Jack. I appreciate the reply. Seems like overall it will be possible to be home a little more than I thought throughout the career than I originally anticipated provided that I am on the right plane/base.

Cheers.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

yowflyer23 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:24 am Are you able to bid YOW overnights at both AC and Jazz, and if so, how junior/senior do you need to be to be able to do so? I understand that a lot of YOW folks do the commute to YUL/YYZ, but just curious if there's the possibility to be home more often despite not being based in YOW. Also, if you have a layover in the city you live in, does it cause any problems if you skip out on the hotel and go home for the night? i.e. do they require you to stay in the hotel per the contract?

Many thanks!

At AC you can skip the hotel and you get something like $10 or 20. Details are in the collective agreement I believe.

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

flying4dollars wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:53 pm
yowflyer23 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:24 am Are you able to bid YOW overnights at both AC and Jazz, and if so, how junior/senior do you need to be to be able to do so? I understand that a lot of YOW folks do the commute to YUL/YYZ, but just curious if there's the possibility to be home more often despite not being based in YOW. Also, if you have a layover in the city you live in, does it cause any problems if you skip out on the hotel and go home for the night? i.e. do they require you to stay in the hotel per the contract?

Many thanks!

At AC you can skip the hotel and you get something like $10 or 20. Details are in the collective agreement I believe.
I haven't done it yet, but I do believe Jazz gives you $20 as well. Maybe someone who's done it can confirm.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

genetic jack hammer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:49 pm
flying4dollars wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:53 pm

Many thanks!

I haven't done it yet, but I do believe Jazz gives you $20 as well. Maybe someone who's done it can confirm.
Yes last time I did it was $20 but it gets taxed so you get about $10. Hardly even worth calling crew scheduling over.

Let’s Go Brandon
goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Jazz: send a message to crew sked by 4pm to cancel and you get $20 each time. Won’t cause any problems

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate the answers!

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

I once heard a Jazz pilot in a bathroom stall in YYZ saying "20 bucks is 20 bucks"
Now it makes sense 🤔

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”