Should Air Canada be nationalized

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Should Air Canada be nationalized

Post by alkaseltzer »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:20 pm
alkaseltzer wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:52 am Nationalize the airport authorities and ATC.
If it takes Transport Canada sixteen months to issue a Category 1 medical, what makes you think they're going to get you through customs any faster than the GTAA?
You must have some pre-existing conditions.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

alkaseltzer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 am
rudder wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:37 pm
alkaseltzer wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:52 am Nationalize the airport authorities and ATC.

Much better for the end customer.
You mean reverse everything the Feds have done over the past 25 years?
Gaslighted question. What have the feds done to be reversed?
1996 - privatized airports and NavCan.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

rudder wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:31 am
alkaseltzer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 am
rudder wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:37 pm

You mean reverse everything the Feds have done over the past 25 years?
Gaslighted question. What have the feds done to be reversed?
1996 - privatized airports and NavCan.
Misunderstood my question…I’ll rephrase. In todays climate, what would be better for Nav Can and airport authorities to be able to continue gouging passenger livelihoods and wallets? Compared to re-nationalizing them?

When do the fat cats finally get kicked out from running these enterprises inefficiently? It is Canada after all, and we have an extremely high tolerance for bureaucracy.

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

alkaseltzer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:30 am
photofly wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:20 pm
If it takes Transport Canada sixteen months to issue a Category 1 medical, what makes you think they're going to get you through customs any faster than the GTAA?
You must have some pre-existing conditions.
Pre-existing conditions or clean bill of health for a newly issued Cat 1, TC turnaround times are down right awful at the moment.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/co ... DwMYNzvKbo

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

Only 1 guy answered the OP's question, and the rest of the thread turned into a rant against NavCan. Why am I not surprised.
WellThatAgedWell wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:41 pm https://canadiandimension.com/articles/ ... air-canada

Above is an opinion piece. Weak arguments but fun to entertain anyways.

What would jobs look like at Air Canada if this were to happen? Would service improve? Would it be profitable? Would it better serve the public?
I don't think nationalization will be better for anyone really. To answer your questions directly....

Service wouldn't improve.
Profitable? Hell no....(alitalia, Air india are but a few examples of mismanaged government owned airlines)
Would it better serve the public? Debatable. Subsidizing underserved routes would be a better strategy I think.

Also, if you want pilot pay to increase, nationalization isn't the way.

If privatizing the gains and making the losses public is a problem, then the solution isn't to un-privatize the gains. It's to stop using public funds to bail out the company. Period.
altiplano wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:38 am We should contract or cede control of our entire air system to the FAA, boot Transport, Nav Canada, CATSA, GTAA, etc. - the whole lot of them. Complete integration from agency mandate to licensing to flight time rules to air traffic to airport priorities.
Let's just remove the border and get annexed by the U.S while were at it.. :roll:
PeterParker wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:02 pm Let's also nationalize Nav Canada while we're at it. Nav Canada is a gong show to the point that I feel that we're going to see airplanes fall out of the sky due to an utter and complete lack of staffing within Canada's ATC system...
I guess you better stop flying right now then....What a stupid comment to make.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Arnie Pye wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:35 pm
PeterParker wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:02 pm Let's also nationalize Nav Canada while we're at it. Nav Canada is a gong show to the point that I feel that we're going to see airplanes fall out of the sky due to an utter and complete lack of staffing within Canada's ATC system...

Also, for everyone in here who will invariably come out to argue how privatization will make things better - show me how Nav Canada is supposedly better than the FAA's ATC system?
Two words: Descend Via,...
This, without question is the number one thing that Canada needs. Descend via the star/ climb via the sid. It makes the Canadian ATC system sound like a government make work project by comparison. Half the reason for flow delays into yvr is arrival can only handle 4 aircraft at once and they spend the whole time giving step downs 2000' at a time, and can barely keep up. What's the point of even printing crossing restrictions on the star if you have to wait for atc to assign them one at a time?

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

co-joe wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:33 am

Also, for everyone in here who will invariably come out to argue how privatization will make things better - show me how Nav Canada is supposedly better than the FAA's ATC system?
This, without question is the number one thing that Canada needs. Descend via the star/ climb via the sid. It makes the Canadian ATC system sound like a government make work project by comparison. Half the reason for flow delays into yvr is arrival can only handle 4 aircraft at once and they spend the whole time giving step downs 2000' at a time, and can barely keep up. What's the point of even printing crossing restrictions on the star if you have to wait for atc to assign them one at a time?
And it's not like they don't know how. I've been cleared for the ILS 26R over Stave before (more than once). Early early morning arrival, but still.

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

And yet again the thread drifts back to ATC practices. You guys are funny....

No, Air Canada should NEVER be nationalized. Terrible idea for the reasons previously posted.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

Considering I've answered the OP's question already, let's answer some ATC comments on here.
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:36 pm
Gotta be honest, whatever they (FAA) are using for weather is way better than Canada. I feel a lot more confident getting vectors from the Americans in terminal airspace, vs Canadian controllers who repeatedly vector into significant weather.
ATC radars aren't optimized to display weather. They're optimized to show aircraft returns and transponders. That's true both in Canada and the US.

This being said, we have the severe weather covered. We get very accurate lighting strike feed on our screens from Environment Canada, so when there are severe thunderstorms in the area, our screens are littered with lightning strikes (usually very close to each other), so we have a pretty good idea of where pilots don't want to go. And even though we see areas of moderate to severe precipitation on our screens as well, it's not as reliable as the weather radars aircraft have, which are designed specifically for that function. This is why a lot of ATC ask pilots where they want to go when there are buildups, and once a pattern is established, we usually follow it with the other aircraft, especially if the route the pilots are taking more or lese coincide with the weather we see on our screens. (It does happen !)
co-joe wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:33 am

NavCan implemented ICAO format "descend via" in 2017. It was a flop! Altitude deviations everywhere and increased workload for ATC. And so NavCan backtracked.

FAA doesn't follow the ICAO format. Their procedures are slightly different.

https://nbaa.org/aircraft-operations/co ... raseology/

As for the YVR delays, I can't really comment on it, since I'm not based out west. But I do know this. Even if you are listening in on the frequency, you don't have the full picture of what is going on, and the reasons behind it.

I do know for the better part of the last 2 years, YVR's runways have been certified non-precision only, due to standby power issues. That has implications on the approach minimas, but also on arrival rates.

Current airport arrival rate (AAR) for YVR is set for 28 (see link below). That's way below their usual, which can go as high as 44.

https://extranetapps.navcanada.ca/ois/ois.aspx

Here are the NOTAMS in question explaining the runway issues.
(C3124/22 NOTAMN
A) CYVR B) 2209280700 C) 2209281100
E) RWY 08L/26R AND RWY 08R/26L CERTIFIED NON PRECISION ONLY, DUE
STANDBY PWR U/S)
(C3125/22 NOTAMN
A) CYVR B) 2209280700 C) 2209281100
E) TKOF RWY 08L/26R AND RWY 08R/26L NOT AUTH WHEN RVR BLW 1200FT DUE
STANDBY PWR U/S)

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

That makes it sound like Navcan did a poor job of implementing what should be a very simple procedural change. It also sounds like Navcan lays the blame on Canadian pilots inability to meet crossing restrictions yet those same pilots have no trouble doing it south of the border. Hmmm

Not saying YVR is slacking, far from it. When one guy is running north and south clearance, apron, ground, and tower frequencies and talking to float traffic as well, simultaneously you know something is grossly wrong with their staffing levels. No idea where the blame is but it's nuts for anyone to think that can go on indefinitely. Somebody's gonna get a hurt real bad...

The flow control in yvr doesn't seem to be wx related, clear and a million weather and flow hits just keep coming. My money's that it's a staffing level thing.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Flow in YVR is weather related... just not in the classic sense.

When it's sunny and nice mid June there's flow because all the ATC controllers book off.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

N-O

Return to “Air Canada”