Upcoming Air Canada vote ..

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Upcoming Air Canada vote ..

Post by RockSalty »

hithere wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:40 am The only way to fix this mess would be to staple the Jazz seniority list onto the bottom on the AC list and have fences to protect each party. Model it after the American Airlines system. American is with their own in house union(APA) and Envoy is with Alpa, so we wouldn’t even have to wait to see if Acpa becomes ALPA. Think outside the Canadian model to discover what massive gains can be made if unions work together.
What benefit to the AC pilots is there in doing this?

If I was at AC the last thing I’d give a shit about is the ability for jazz guys to flow or for jazz to keep staffing
---------- ADS -----------

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

RockSalty wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:36 pm
hithere wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:40 am The only way to fix this mess would be to staple the Jazz seniority list onto the bottom on the AC list and have fences to protect each party. Model it after the American Airlines system. American is with their own in house union(APA) and Envoy is with Alpa, so we wouldn’t even have to wait to see if Acpa becomes ALPA. Think outside the Canadian model to discover what massive gains can be made if unions work together.
What benefit to the AC pilots is there in doing this?

If I was at AC the last thing I’d give a shit about is the ability for jazz guys to flow or for jazz to keep staffing
EXACTLY

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Rock salty you clearly don’t understand the whipsaw phenomena which has defined the AC/regional relationship since the early 1990s.
Come 2025, when scope is under full opener in the ACPA CBA, if the JAZ MEC and ACPA are not united, AC management will try to drive wages down in the 76-100 seat market by trying to find the lowest bidder between us. If we were all on one list there would be no whipsaw, because a gain for one is a gain for all

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Again can you elaborate how that helps AC pilots? Why should they give two shits about the revolving door regional airline that exists purely to drive costs down for flying small jets/turboprops. (And on that note why would the company even want more expensive mainline pilots flying regional jets?)

Unless there’s something that makes it worthwhile for the guys at the actual retirement gig airline to do something like that, it’s not really the AC pilots problem.

Honestly if you’re at jazz now why not just leave for something like Cargojet/Flair/Morningstar/whatever and make better money with better working conditions and stand just as good a chance at getting to big red if that’s what you really want anyways?

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

hithere wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:47 pm Rock salty you clearly don’t understand the whipsaw phenomena which has defined the AC/regional relationship since the early 1990s.
Come 2025, when scope is under full opener in the ACPA CBA, if the JAZ MEC and ACPA are not united, AC management will try to drive wages down in the 76-100 seat market by trying to find the lowest bidder between us. If we were all on one list there would be no whipsaw, because a gain for one is a gain for all
Scope is never going to be in full opener and you guys will never fly anything larger than a 175 in Air Canada paint. It heartens me to know that the Jazz old guard is keeping that dream alive and well amongst the ranks.

The 76 seat jet North American line in sand is so solid that not even the worst of ACPA MECs have managed to cross it.

If the company couldn’t do it in FOS it just isn’t going to happen.

Your threat of whipsaw on that matter is moot. Try again.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

RockSalty wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:01 pm Again can you elaborate how that helps AC pilots? Why should they give two shits about the revolving door regional airline that exists purely to drive costs down for flying small jets/turboprops. (And on that note why would the company even want more expensive mainline pilots flying regional jets?)
Most of which are planes that used to fly at Air Canada. We sold away our own flying and good jobs along with it. Instead of building Yos flying a CRJ at AC like the old guys did that 3-5 years at Jazz now means nothing. We're our own worst enemies.

"It's only 5 Q400s at the island"

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

negative_g wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:14 pm
RockSalty wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:01 pm Again can you elaborate how that helps AC pilots? Why should they give two shits about the revolving door regional airline that exists purely to drive costs down for flying small jets/turboprops. (And on that note why would the company even want more expensive mainline pilots flying regional jets?)
Most of which are planes that used to fly at Air Canada. We sold away our own flying and good jobs along with it. Instead of building Yos flying a CRJ at AC like the old guys did that 3-5 years at Jazz now means nothing. We're our own worst enemies.

You and basically every other big airline in North America operating RJs did that as far as I know.

My (uneducated) opinion is that flying is gone and probably isn’t worth fighting to get back (but it is worth fighting to not give up more), unless it’s something the company wants and can be used for leverage.

crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by crj_705 »

Sharklasers wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:37 am
hithere wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:35 pm The 2015 contract was necessary to ensure the long term viability of the CPA as we had GGN and SKY breathing down our necks with lower labour costs. With that 2015 contract we were able to entice a lot of tenured, DB pension Jazz guys to leave for AC thereby making Jazz a more competitive to compete with GGN and Sky for the CPA work. We have spent the majority of our bargaining capital since that time trying to rectify some of the things from the 2015 contract that we undesirable. finally with the GGN and SKY integration we were able to get rid of the supposed B scale and guarantee a minimum flow rate but at the expense of signing a long term contract. ALPA used significant bargaining capital to get that guarantee. In effect since 2015 most of the bargaining capital the the Jazz MEC has used is to the benefit of junior members.
The only leverage we currently have to fix our low pay rates is the current pilot shortage. And now that leverage is being taken from us without any input from us. AC is (or will be by the end of 2022) in violation of the minimum Jazz to AC flow rate. They know it, and they want ACPA to help them. ACPA's job is not to solve AC and Jazz pilot recruitment problems. Market forces are there for that.

It doesn’t surprise me that that is the narrative the Jazz old guard is pushing over there.

The only people left were the ones unfortunately PFO’d, the very close to retirement or the ones too short sighted to see a good thing in front of them.
In the last 7 years they’ve had to watch their coworkers go nearly direct left seat at AC making nearly double in some cases flying heavy metal all around the world while they are stuck at Jazz beating a path back and forth to YQR.
The environment in 2015 wasn’t nearly as dire as you make it out to be, GGN was already shitting the bed and the growth of Sky had already effectively stopped. 700++ of us, over 50% of the list voted yes for an opportunity to leave with full pay to the big leagues. The remaining 30% of yes votes were only concerned with keeping their DBs and A scale and couldn’t care less about the ones coming behind or we would have worked out some language for PML 2.0 when we signed it.

That same cadre of left behinds are the ones now trying to leverage the career progression of the post 2015 hires for more big gains for themselves.

My stomach is in knots for the Post 2015 Jazz hires who only went there for a path to the show who’s future is now in limbo as precious seniority slips away at an alarming rate. If we drag this out for 6 more months that’s 450 numbers lost, that could mean an entirely different career for pilots hired at Jazz with a promise of progression.

Sharklasers… my Mom told me to never say anything bad about someone you don’t know or have never met, make your own conclusions about them. The stuff spewing out of your mouth is nothing short of what my dog leaves on our lawn every morning…OMG

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

crj_705 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:34 am
Sharklasers wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:37 am
hithere wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:35 pm The 2015 contract was necessary to ensure the long term viability of the CPA as we had GGN and SKY breathing down our necks with lower labour costs. With that 2015 contract we were able to entice a lot of tenured, DB pension Jazz guys to leave for AC thereby making Jazz a more competitive to compete with GGN and Sky for the CPA work. We have spent the majority of our bargaining capital since that time trying to rectify some of the things from the 2015 contract that we undesirable. finally with the GGN and SKY integration we were able to get rid of the supposed B scale and guarantee a minimum flow rate but at the expense of signing a long term contract. ALPA used significant bargaining capital to get that guarantee. In effect since 2015 most of the bargaining capital the the Jazz MEC has used is to the benefit of junior members.
The only leverage we currently have to fix our low pay rates is the current pilot shortage. And now that leverage is being taken from us without any input from us. AC is (or will be by the end of 2022) in violation of the minimum Jazz to AC flow rate. They know it, and they want ACPA to help them. ACPA's job is not to solve AC and Jazz pilot recruitment problems. Market forces are there for that.

It doesn’t surprise me that that is the narrative the Jazz old guard is pushing over there.

The only people left were the ones unfortunately PFO’d, the very close to retirement or the ones too short sighted to see a good thing in front of them.
In the last 7 years they’ve had to watch their coworkers go nearly direct left seat at AC making nearly double in some cases flying heavy metal all around the world while they are stuck at Jazz beating a path back and forth to YQR.
The environment in 2015 wasn’t nearly as dire as you make it out to be, GGN was already shitting the bed and the growth of Sky had already effectively stopped. 700++ of us, over 50% of the list voted yes for an opportunity to leave with full pay to the big leagues. The remaining 30% of yes votes were only concerned with keeping their DBs and A scale and couldn’t care less about the ones coming behind or we would have worked out some language for PML 2.0 when we signed it.

That same cadre of left behinds are the ones now trying to leverage the career progression of the post 2015 hires for more big gains for themselves.

My stomach is in knots for the Post 2015 Jazz hires who only went there for a path to the show who’s future is now in limbo as precious seniority slips away at an alarming rate. If we drag this out for 6 more months that’s 450 numbers lost, that could mean an entirely different career for pilots hired at Jazz with a promise of progression.

Sharklasers… my Mom told me to never say anything bad about someone you don’t know or have never met, make your own conclusions about them. The stuff spewing out of your mouth is nothing short of what my dog leaves on our lawn every morning…OMG
A quick peak back at your post history gleefully cheerleading the AO lawsuit and the idea of Jazz pilots operating the LCC now known as rouge tell me all I need to know about your status as Jazz old guard.

I am not concerned with the fact I have offended your sensibilities as much as I am concerned with Original Jazz pilot MEC members playing chicken with junior members careers and progression.

From an old guard perspective it makes sense though, there is absolutely no downside for themselves and potentially unlimited upside.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Look at the history.

AC has sent 40 fins to Jazz that used to be flown by pilots on the mainline seniority list (25 CRJ/ 15 E175).

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

rudder wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:34 pm

Look at the history.

AC has sent 40 fins to Jazz that used to be flown by pilots on the mainline seniority list (25 CRJ/ 15 E175).
I can’t debate you in the EMJ front but to be fair AC originally scooped that CRJs from the regionals by rolling out a punishing pay scale to undercut the regionals and no one wanted to fly it in either seat at the mainline. Those aircraft never should have been at mainline and while it’s before my time it seems we shouldn’t have given up bargaining capital to secure that flying.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Sharklasers wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:40 pm
rudder wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:34 pm
Look at the history.

I can’t debate you in the EMJ front but to be fair AC originally scooped that CRJs from the regionals by rolling out a punishing pay scale to undercut the regionals and no one wanted to fly it in either seat at the mainline. Those aircraft never should have been at mainline and while it’s before my time it seems we shouldn’t have given up bargaining capital to secure that flying.
That was during the ‘No jets’ era of scope.

This was despite the fact that the regionals had been flying F28’s and 146’s since the 1980’s.

The pendulum always swings too far in the opposite direction. And oddly, the Pilot profession is never the winner. I wonder why that is?

We fight with each other and management just sits back and watches. Always predictable. Not the best strategy for success.

We_tu_lo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by We_tu_lo »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:20 pm
hithere wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:17 pm I’m talking about fixing the whole AC/Jazz whipsaw mess now before this ridiculous LOA thing starts
So how does that play out for those who just want to remain at Jazz, earn a reasonable income and not chase the "big iron" ?
Lol, "reasonable income" at jazz. There is nothing reasonable about it.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Jazz is 2 companies. Pre 2015, with DB pension and other benefits. And post 2015, which is set up or was set up to send pilots to ac and motivate to leave with poor pay and reduced benefits compared to their senior colleagues.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:58 am Jazz is 2 companies. Pre 2015, with DB pension and other benefits. And post 2015, which is set up or was set up to send pilots to ac and motivate to leave with poor pay and reduced benefits compared to their senior colleagues.
Aside from the pension there isn’t much difference in benefits from pre/post 2015. I was hired pre 2015 and the new hire pay wasn’t any better then. Stuff just cost less way back when.

Also upgrades took 10-20 years depending on base 15 years ago as well. A new hire now will make more since they can get a left seat almost immediately.

****** I’m not defending the pay, it sucks. I’m just pointing out it was never really great in the past*****

Let’s Go Brandon
canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Honestly, good point about the quick upgrade :D . Agreed!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:50 am Honestly, good point about the quick upgrade :D . Agreed!
Minimum pay for CA on a 76-78 seat aircraft should be $100k. In all cases an ATP qualified FO should make at least 66.67% of same year CA. And $100k in 2022 is with a heck of a lot less than $100k a decade ago.

By any measure, Jazz pay starting pay scales are deficient regardless of rapid upgrade opportunity. And the ‘quid pro quo’ of movement to AC is turning in to a ‘quid pro what’?

Band aid solutions. That is all that is being considered by Jazz, AC, and (perhaps) ACPA. Not nearly enough to create stability or adapt to 2022 realities when it comes to pilot supply.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

rudder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:09 am
canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:50 am Honestly, good point about the quick upgrade :D . Agreed!
Minimum pay for CA on a 76-78 seat aircraft should be $100k. In all cases an ATP qualified FO should make at least 66.67% of same year CA. And $100k in 2022 is with a heck of a lot less than $100k a decade ago.

By any measure, Jazz pay starting pay scales are deficient regardless of rapid upgrade opportunity. And the ‘quid pro quo’ of movement to AC is turning in to a ‘quid pro what’?

Band aid solutions. That is all that is being considered by Jazz, AC, and (perhaps) ACPA. Not nearly enough to create stability or adapt to 2022 realities when it comes to pilot supply.
Agreed and it’s not like 100K is even an obscene wage in 2022, especially considering you’ll have to work out of the 4 most expensive cities in Canada (YYZ, YVR, YYC and YUL)

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Goodman5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Goodman5 »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:09 am
canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:58 am Jazz is 2 companies. Pre 2015, with DB pension and other benefits. And post 2015, which is set up or was set up to send pilots to ac and motivate to leave with poor pay and reduced benefits compared to their senior colleagues.
Aside from the pension there isn’t much difference in benefits from pre/post 2015. I was hired pre 2015 and the new hire pay wasn’t any better then. Stuff just cost less way back when.

Also upgrades took 10-20 years depending on base 15 years ago as well. A new hire now will make more since they can get a left seat almost immediately.

****** I’m not defending the pay, it sucks. I’m just pointing out it was never really great in the past*****
-Isn’t much difference? First off, the different pension is a huge slap in the face to everyone hired after 2015.

-Another slap in the face is the difference in pay for the first 6 years before a pilot ‘scales’ back up to first class citizen rate.. or ‘A scale.’ (A scale - B scale was the most open trashing of “new” pilots coming to Jazz by the way. You guys just never think how much that’s pissed off your co workers)

-Slapped us in the face with flight passes, passes for life, J class etc.

One of those things that you call ‘stuff’ that cost cheaper 10-20 years ago for you… is a house/rent. Which has doubled/tripled in that time yet you have the gall to say our 2022 pay is comparable to say, 2009.. even 2014.

C’mon pal.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Goodman5 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:02 am
Inverted2 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:09 am

-Isn’t much difference? First off, the different pension is a huge slap in the face to everyone hired after 2015.

-Another slap in the face is the difference in pay for the first 6 years before a pilot ‘scales’ back up to first class citizen rate.. or ‘A scale.’ (A scale - B scale was the most open trashing of “new” pilots coming to Jazz by the way. You guys just never think how much that’s pissed off your co workers)

-Slapped us in the face with flight passes, passes for life, J class etc.

One of those things that you call ‘stuff’ that cost cheaper 10-20 years ago for you… is a house/rent. Which has doubled/tripled in that time yet you have the gall to say our 2022 pay is comparable to say, 2009.. even 2014.

C’mon pal.
Goodman,
You seem angry, will you be angry at AC as well, after all they have a different pension for new hires there too!

AC makes the decision on passes, for example in 2011 they changed the passes for pilots hired after 2006 to C4. Someone who was already on the property for over four years went from C2 to C4 overnight, I was one of those somebody’s! The trigger for this was Jazz pilots voting to strike, the biggest improvements went to the starting pay. Our reward for our efforts, Sky Regional and GGN undercutting us.

As for the pay, the contract 2015 triggered movement, before that there was none. Pilots going to AC from Jazz was a trickle and never mind the left seat, as mentioned 10-20 years depending on base. We knew that coming in and accepted the terms, since then there have been many changes but all the bargaining capital, what little we had, has gone to making it better for the new hires, so pardon me if I don’t feel bad for you, I’m still working on the contract from 2010 with little to no improvements for the top scale, but I should just be happy I suppose!

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”