Anything new at the RCMP?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

jackalope
Rank 0
Rank 0

Anything new at the RCMP?

Post by jackalope »

Anyone on here with any knowledge of the goings-on at the RCMP Air Section care to shed any light on possible hiring, how they like the flying, etc?

I am interested in the fixed-wing IFR side.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Are you a member of the RCMP?

jackalope
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jackalope »

No......that's why I'm asking :roll:

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Last i heard you had to be in the RCMP five years before you could put your name on the waiting list. The rather long waiting list.

Horseman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Horseman »

Jackalope

The info that I got from an ex RCMP Air Services pilot is that they are moving away from police officers as pilots, and moving to hiring from industry, as the selection pool is much larger. The rationale is, you don't need to be a police officer to fly. It has been increasingly difficult to find the number(s) of pilots from within the RCMP, with required CPL, and TT hours, without training from scratch.

They are hiring new pilots and engineers as they need them, as existing staff retire. The new people are being brought in as Civilian Members of the RCMP, and are not unionized. They are paid at the same pay rate as -(Transport Canada) pilots and engineers.

The last civilian pilot hired in Edmonton (about 2 years ago) was for their Bell 206L and was hired from private industry. Excellent pilot with IFR and major TT hours.

Just for your info, the RCMP in Vancouver is currently advertising from outside, for an AME-E with 5 years experience. They have an add in this months copy of Helicopters Magazine. Page 32.

The attached web page will give you a heads-up on their aircraft inventory, for each Province. There are a few errors on the list, but it gives you a general idea.

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/canada/ ... entory.htm

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/canada/ ... -orbat.htm

I haven't seen any recent adds for pilots, in any National Aviation Magazines. You can try the local RCMP recruiting unit for more information.

Horseman

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

What Horseman said is somewhat accurate but the Mounties have been doing the Civilian/Officers thing for decades...They keep switching depending on the Head dude who ironically doesn't know a thing about airplanes...

Same deal...3000 min, Single pilot PC12...Fairly good pay...Most work is in remote areas at least for less senior guys...

I believe Officers still fly the birds and you might not be welcomed as you dreamed...Lots of the regular members traveling onboard would love to see an RCMP member pulling the yoke...

Quote from a friend flying there: It's great, but I wish I'd done something else!! Go figure!!! :roll:

Cheers

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

The best way to get to fly with the RCMP air services branch is to get arrested in a northern community. :D

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

For the record a friend of mine was just hired for the YVR base and had no ties to the RCMP (civilian). SO.. yes they do hire from outside.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Any chance of more info FlyBabe? Aircraft type? Pay? Requirements?

Thanks

Juggs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Juggs »

:roll:

You're not looking to jump ship already are you?

ha ha

--Juggs

JUGGS-A waypoint in Idaho too!
Murdoch86
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Murdoch86 »

What kind of background do they want for the 206 and the 208???

Horseman
Rank 2
Rank 2

HOT OFF THE PRESS

Post by Horseman »

MURDOCK86

The best info that I can get is, " To be hired by Air Services, pilots must have at least 3,000 hours of relevant flying experience". You have to impress them with your dazzling CV.

Inventory includes:
3 x Cessna U206G
3 x 208
3 x Cessna 210R
12 x PC-12
2 x DH-6-300
1 x Piaggio P180

Wages range from $65K and run to $75K.

Horseman

Last edited by Horseman on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Well, generally speaking..

My friend was hired on the PC-12, with promises of training on the new twin (some kind of Piaggio??). Pay was approx 80 K/ yr with gov't benefits. Friend had probably about 4000 TT with 2000 + PIC multi-turbine in a 1900.

That's about all I can tell ya.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”