Sunwing Jumpseat

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fedax17763
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sunwing Jumpseat

Post by fedax17763 »

Friend of mine who work as a flight attendant with Encore, told me that anyone with valid Canadian Pilots license can fly sunwings jumpseat as standby.

Is this true and is there any other airlines like this?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Sunwing Jumpseat

Post by fish4life »

A) I highly doubt that
B) none I have heard of

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Absolutely positively false.

Sure it could happen that some Swissport gate agent sub contractor get conned into accidentally listing a pilot that is not on the reciprocity agreement but this is stupid, don’t do that.

People who abuse the jumpseat privilege are the worst and they’re killing about the only good perk of this job. Plus imagine getting caught and permanently blacklisted, it’s a small industry.

Generally, the reciprocity agreement looks like this
“permits licensed pilots actively employed by approved carriers”. That also means no J/S while your on a sick leave/training/etc

It might have changed, but for a while, you couldn’t jumpseat with Westjet until your company training was completed and yes some pilots got caught and yes they got in trouble.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Friend of mine who work as a flight attendant with Encore, told me that anyone with valid Canadian Pilots license can fly sunwings jumpseat as standby.

Is this true and is there any other airlines like this?

Thanks
This is incorrect and your friend is unfortunately misinformed.

Only pilots “actively” employed by sunwing and reciprocating airlines are allowed to use the standby program.

There are 50+ airlines on the list, pretty much all 705s and most of the 704s in Canada. A bunch of US airlines also. Please don’t misuse this program as it only takes that one individual who will spoil this privilege for the rest of us.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”