DEC Jazz

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: DEC Jazz

Post by Tbayer2021 »

airway wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:33 am
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:54 am
FL030 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:09 pm

No longer any hour requirements I see.

Valid Transport Canada Instrument Rating.
Valid Airline Transport Pilots License.
Valid Transport Canada Multi Engine rating.
Valid Transport Canada Class 1 Medical.
Must be able to obtain a Restricted Area Identity Card (RAIC).
Must hold a current passport at time of hire.
If you are a Permanent Resident, you must be able to obtain and maintain crew visa documentation required to operate aircraft within the USA.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Must have completed a High School diploma.
Candidates must meet Transport Canada English proficiency standard.
Hiring Minimums for Direct Entry Captain is an ATPL with a preference for 705 level Pilot In Command experience as an asset.
Doesn't the last requirement essentially dictate time required owing to the ATPL reference !!

"Hiring Minimums for Direct Entry Captain is an ATPL with a preference for 705 level Pilot In Command experience as an asset."
Having a ATPL has always been required at Jazz in order to upgrade.

An ATPL is not a company requirement, it's a CAR's requirement to act as PIC on any transport category aircraft. Anyone wanting to upgrade and not aware of this should rethink their desire to be a Captain.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:55 am
An ATPL is not a company requirement, it's a CAR's requirement to act as PIC on any transport category aircraft. Anyone wanting to upgrade and not aware of this should rethink their desire to be a Captain.
If you don’t have an ATPL You will not be interviewing for a DEC position. Once on line (or on a PIT course), you will not be awarded a CA position (opportunity to qualify) without a valid ATPL on file with the company.

If you do not know that am ATPL is required for CA in a Part 705 operation then you have no business worrying about the DEC process. You need to go back and hit the books.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

rudder wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:16 am
Tbayer2021 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:55 am
If you don’t have an ATPL You will not be interviewing for a DEC position. Once on line (or on a PIT course), you will not be awarded a CA position (opportunity to qualify) without a valid ATPL on file with the company.

If you do not know that am ATPL is required for CA in a Part 705 operation then you have no business worrying about the DEC process. You need to go back and hit the books.
Are there some out there actually expecting to be awarded the left seat without meeting the bare minimum legal requirement?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:31 am
Are there some out there actually expecting to be awarded the left seat without meeting the bare minimum legal requirement?
Likely not. The bid would be ignored anyway.

But there are some that meet minimum licensing qualifications (but with zero relevant experience for DEC at a 705 operation) that are permitted to attempt to qualify as CA.

Most other operators have an experience matrix. Jazz does not.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

I heard there's big delays getting your ATPL signed off with TC. Probably causing issues not just at Jazz but 703/704 as well for upgrading.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

negative_g wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:45 pm I heard there's big delays getting your ATPL signed off with TC. Probably causing issues not just at Jazz but 703/704 as well for upgrading.
That's if the candidates sit around and let TC take their time. Squeak wheel gets the grease!

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

negative_g wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:45 pm I heard there's big delays getting your ATPL signed off with TC. Probably causing issues not just at Jazz but 703/704 as well for upgrading.
Most 703/704 COMs don't require captain to have ATPL. You mostly require ATPL to be a training captain.

Some companies will require ATPL for insurance/experience/etc... I can only assume everything is been changing since Encore/Flair/Jazz/Porter is emptying the pool of ATPL.

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

^ the above is very wrong information

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Caterpillar wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:34 pm
Most 703/704 COMs don't require captain to have ATPL. You mostly require ATPL to be a training captain.

Some companies will require ATPL for insurance/experience/etc... I can only assume everything is been changing since Encore/Flair/Jazz/Porter is emptying the pool of ATPL.
Plenty of medevac operators require an ATPL for their captains since thats what the province normally wants. What I've started to see happen instead of requirements going down is pay going up at a few of them to try and stop us from leaving.

Bluewaffe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bluewaffe »

Any update on how the DEC candidates are doing? I heard theres a 10% passing rate?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Maybe just ask the training department?

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Bluewaffe wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:31 pm Any update on how the DEC candidates are doing? I heard theres a 10% passing rate?
To be fair, a good number of them were flight instructors with fresh atpl’s, so you can’t really expect them to have the decision making skills to go DEC on the RJ flying to some of the busiest airports along the eastern seaboard. I guess it goes to show the quality of DECs that Jazz is hiring at the moment

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

fixnfly wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:50 am
Bluewaffe wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:31 pm Any update on how the DEC candidates are doing? I heard theres a 10% passing rate?
To be fair, a good number of them were flight instructors with fresh atpl’s, so you can’t really expect them to have the decision making skills to go DEC on the RJ flying to some of the busiest airports along the eastern seaboard. I guess it goes to show the quality of DECs that Jazz is hiring at the moment
I had no idea the pass rate was that low. I guess it's hard to attract experienced candidates with the pay Jazz is offering first year Captains.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:21 am
fixnfly wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:50 am
I had no idea the pass rate was that low. I guess it's hard to attract experienced candidates with the pay Jazz is offering first year Captains.
You still don't have any idea what the pass rate is.

Someone saying "he heard" it was 10% does not make it so. Comment on facts please.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

For context, the Encore pass rate is a bit above 50% with people having 500 hrs on a 705 and 2000 hrs minimum.
If the DEC are flight instructors the 10% aren't surprising.

That being said, Jazz rescinded the Pilots ad.

FO ad: minimums are CPL+ IATRA + 750 hrs
DEC ad: ATPL, preferred 3000 hours total time, 1000 hours multi-engine turbine time and at least 500 of command time on a multi-engine aircraft.

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

An instructors shooting for DEC shows a lack of understanding what they are trying out for. they should go fo, ease through training, put CA in the standing bid on the plane they are training on and get a training date in the spring.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

It’s down right dangerous to put a 1500 hr Instructor on the left seat of a 705 plane. What the hell were they thinking ?

No experience dealing with busy ATC, high op tempo down in the USA
No experience dealing with deicing and ramp operations.
No experience dealing with NPA with high terrain out West
No experience dealing with shitty contaminated short runways and crosswind.
No experience dealing with wind shear and stormy WX around the Great Lakes and the maritimes.

That fact that a 1500hr instructor would even apply for this position shows how utterly clueless they are. Imagine that paired with a 250 hr wonder cadet on their first pairing post line Indoc going to YYF landing RYW 34 at night on a bad winter night or during the forest fire season.
Truly the definition of the blind leading the blind.

“Oh but they’re really good at memorizing the COM” :shock:

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

daedalusx wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:25 pm It’s down right dangerous to put a 1500 hr Instructor on the left seat of a 705 plane. What the hell were they thinking ?

No experience dealing with wind shear and stormy WX around the Great Lakes and the maritimes.

That fact that a 1500hr instructor would even apply for this position shows how utterly clueless they are. Imagine that paired with a 250 hr wonder cadet on their first pairing post line Indoc going to YYF landing RYW 34 at night on a bad winter night or during the forest fire season.

What’s scary is this the direction airlines are taking in Canada, as opposed to increasing pay to attract experienced candidates.
Unfortunately we all know the only thing that will change this strategy. It’s sad to say but it will cost some lives before they start putting safety ahead of profits here.
Look at the accident record go to basically zero in the US since the 1500 rule was implemented. Experience in the flight deck is important. Just not a concern to airline execs until it’s mandated.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

daedalusx wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:25 pm It’s down right dangerous to put a 1500 hr Instructor on the left seat of a 705 plane. What the hell were they thinking ?

In some cases, no experience flying IMC.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

Bertollag wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 pm Hi Everyone,
I have a question about the DEC positions at Jazz. Do you think it is a good move starting as a captain when you don’t know the company, the aircraft, the routes… do you think being FO for a couple of months really makes a difference to learn the stuff or the DEC position is fine ?
Thank you very much !
I would never want to be DEC and on a 1 yr probationary period. I'd say 1 yr minimum on property and on type before CA.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”