Interior Options for c172

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Fishizl
Rank 1
Rank 1

Interior Options for c172

Post by Fishizl »

Anyone have experience installing interiors? ...specifically the plastic parts. I'm looking at several different vendors in the U.S (Vantage, Selkirk, Premier) and leaning towards Vantage strictly because it's 60% cheaper than the other 2. That said I'm worried Vantage might be cheaper quality...hard to decide without seeing all the products. It would be great to hear some feedback on what you chose, why, ease of installation (or not) etc.
---------- ADS -----------

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Interior Options for c172

Post by SeptRepair »

Selkirk although pricey, imo are the better product. Fiberglass construction that takes impact far better than plastic. It doesn't get brittle over time like the plastic your are trying to replace. To do a nice install job it takes time and patience. Not difficult, but having the proper tooling really helps.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
hangarline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Interior Options for c172

Post by hangarline »

Probably the first question to ask yourself is "do I just need a simple replacement of what was installed when new, because they are now cracked and falling apart, or something that will stand a bit more abuse (kicking) and will outlast the owner?". The original plastics on the 172 were simple and lightweight. They deteriorate and crack from being parked in the sun/and or high temperature.
SeptRepair is right, the Selkirk interior pieces are solid, but very time consuming to install. Plus the dust from shaping and sanding the fibreglass is a nuisance. And the cost is a bit high. I have had good luck using Texas Aeroplastic replacement plastics. They are light, reasonably priced and relatively easy to cut shape and fit. Properly cared for, they should last as long you will need them to, flight school operation excluded.

Return to “Maintenance”