10 year WJ Mainline FO went to AC

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

10 year WJ Mainline FO went to AC

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

:smt040 :smt040 :smt040 Guys I have the latest update. A year 10 WJ Mainline FO just went to AC. This place has become shittier and shittier. Have you ever heard an AC pilot come to WJ? The management needs to get their shit together. The wages need to improve drastically! 70% Encore pilots dont have the intention to stay at WJ. Guys n gals think twice before applying at Westjet. :smt008
---------- ADS -----------

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 10 year WJ Mainline FO went to AC

Post by YC87DRVR »

This isn’t news, this has happened many times and some more than 10 years. The first time I heard of these moves happening was long before covid, when AC really started to spool up their hiring.

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

I don’t think that’s the best move for the average 10 year WJ pilot. 4 years of flat pay and there have been about 2000 of new hires since 2016, nearly all of whom are now in their mid 30s to early 40s. If you're coming in at that age group, you’ll likely retire with 2500 pilots above you on the seniority list (no company growth). For reference, current 2500 seniority is around the median for narrow body captain, so you’ll be looking at retiring halfway up the captain list, no Christmas or summer vacation.

I don’t have any inside numbers, just what’s public knowledge of the hiring that’s happened over the past 8 years and I’m making assumptions based on that.

Just tread carefully if you’re older than 30 and be realistic about what your life will look like.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Curiousflyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:53 pm I don’t think that’s the best move for the average 10 year WJ pilot. 4 years of flat pay and there have been about 2000 of new hires since 2016, nearly all of whom are now in their mid 30s to early 40s. If you're coming in at that age group, you’ll likely retire with 2500 pilots above you on the seniority list (no company growth). For reference, current 2500 seniority is around the median for narrow body captain, so you’ll be looking at retiring halfway up the captain list, no Christmas or summer vacation.

I don’t have any inside numbers, just what’s public knowledge of the hiring that’s happened over the past 8 years and I’m making assumptions based on that.

Just tread carefully if you’re older than 30 and be realistic about what your life will look like.
Someone chasing long haul metal out of YYZ would see the WestJet retreat as a reason to leave.

Maybe one day we'll be allowed easy access to the US airlines and Canadian airlines will cancel 80% of their flights due to lack of crew... sorry, lack of pay.

Return to “WestJet Encore”