Flight Duty Tracking

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Flight Duty Tracking

Post by Edo »

So with slightly less than one year for 703/704 operators to comply with the new flight and duty times.... who has a software tracking option for this?

What are the 705 guys using?
---------- ADS -----------

Bradley Tucker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Flight Duty Tracking

Post by Bradley Tucker »

Please message me I have a program for Operators that can track this and so much more for a flight department. I have nothing for an individual as it is part of an entire flight operations management suite.

Bradley@abovebeyondaviation.com

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Skylegs has a pretty extensive software package supporting multiple regulations/countries: https://www.skylegs.com/
You only pay for what you use.

They also support custom duty rules, based on your ops manual, for pretty decent prices.

Last edited by digits_ on Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

New software. Lots of companies are gonna try for exemptions first. Then look for software oct or nov

A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A Regulator »

Reviewing the latest Amendment to the CARS for Dec 2021 and see the new regs for flt duty etc but no exemptions

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

A Regulator wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:19 pm Reviewing the latest Amendment to the CARS for Dec 2021 and see the new regs for flt duty etc but no exemptions
I have it on good authority that Air Canada/Rouge have received some specific exemptions to the new duty regs to allow them to operate some deep Caribbean flights as single-day turns rather than forcing them to put a crew up there on a layover. It’s all very hush-hush - I guess after the Cargojet debacle, Transport Canada decided to stop advertising that they were offering exemptions to whoever needed them.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

I believe the exemptions you speak of are actually a part of the Fatigue Risk Management System so is in accordance with the new regulations. There is a whole section on how FRMS can be used to extend beyond the basic requirements, if the risk analysis says it is an acceptable risk, and there may be some extra requirements to make it acceptable.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

NotDirty! wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:09 pm I believe the exemptions you speak of are actually a part of the Fatigue Risk Management System so is in accordance with the new regulations. There is a whole section on how FRMS can be used to extend beyond the basic requirements, if the risk analysis says it is an acceptable risk, and there may be some extra requirements to make it acceptable.
What makes a Caribbean flight lower risk?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Cavalier44 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:51 pm
A Regulator wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:19 pm Reviewing the latest Amendment to the CARS for Dec 2021 and see the new regs for flt duty etc but no exemptions
I have it on good authority that Air Canada/Rouge have received some specific exemptions to the new duty regs to allow them to operate some deep Caribbean flights as single-day turns rather than forcing them to put a crew up there on a layover. It’s all very hush-hush - I guess after the Cargojet debacle, Transport Canada decided to stop advertising that they were offering exemptions to whoever needed them.
There’s a webpage where all TC regulatory exemptions are listed; they’re not allowed to make accommodations to operators in secret, and if an exemption is granted to one it must be granted to others on the same basis.

I think this is it:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/refere ... tions-cars

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:58 am
Cavalier44 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:51 pm
There’s a webpage where all TC regulatory exemptions are listed; they’re not allowed to make accommodations to operators in secret, and if an exemption is granted to one it must be granted to others on the same basis.

I think this is it:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/refere ... tions-cars
Do you happen to know by any chance what the legal basis is for TC to give someone exemptions? Can they just decide to exempt anyone from any regulation they wish? I know that some CARs specifically mention that the Minister can overwrite it. Curious if there is a catch-all one that allows them to do what they want.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

As of right now very, very few 705 operators are using the FRMS avenue vs the prescriptive regulations because the resources required are immense and there's only a few situations where it even works. The FRMS option is all but impossible to apply for Adhoc flying because the approval are for very specific flights, departure times, etc.

703/704 operators will be 99.5% prescriptive.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:50 am Do you happen to know by any chance what the legal basis is for TC to give someone exemptions? Can they just decide to exempt anyone from any regulation they wish? I know that some CARs specifically mention that the Minister can overwrite it. Curious if there is a catch-all one that allows them to do what they want.
5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act:
(2) The Minister or an officer of the Department of Transport authorized by the Minister for the purpose of this subsection may, on any terms and conditions that the Minister or officer, as the case may be, considers necessary, exempt any person, aeronautical product, aerodrome, facility or service, or any class of persons, aeronautical products, aerodromes, facilities or services, from the application of any regulation, order or security measure made under this Part if the exemption, in the opinion of the Minister or officer, as the case may be, is in the public interest and is not likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security.
There is a formal process to request an exemption. I don't know what it is, but your TC inspector should be able to help. It takes a while to get a response as it has to go all the way up the food chain and back down again. The fee is payable on the TC online payment system:
Issuance of a ministerial exemption under subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act - $494.17
If one is granted then it gets entered in that searchable database for everyone to see.

I believe that where there are specific "the Minister may" clauses are written in the regulations, you don't pay that fee, and the process is probably simpler. Don't quote me on that though.

Kind-of reminds me of the Pope selling indulgences, which sparked the Protestant Reformation, in the sixteenth century. I think this process is a little more objective though.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:26 pm

5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act:
(2) The Minister or an officer of the Department of Transport authorized by the Minister for the purpose of this subsection may, on any terms and conditions that the Minister or officer, as the case may be, considers necessary, exempt any person, aeronautical product, aerodrome, facility or service, or any class of persons, aeronautical products, aerodromes, facilities or services, from the application of any regulation, order or security measure made under this Part if the exemption, in the opinion of the Minister or officer, as the case may be, is in the public interest and is not likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security.
There is a formal process to request an exemption. I don't know what it is, but your TC inspector should be able to help. It takes a while to get a response as it has to go all the way up the food chain and back down again. The fee is payable on the TC online payment system:
Issuance of a ministerial exemption under subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act - $494.17
I believe that where there are specific "the Minister may" clauses are written in the regulations, you don't pay that fee, and the process is probably simpler. Don't quote me on that though.

Kind-of reminds me of the Pope selling indulgences, which sparked the Protestant Reformation, in the sixteenth century. I think this process is a little more objective though.
Thanks!

Pretty disgusting from a democratic point of view. Parliament votes on a law, and the minister can say "screw it, I do what I want anyway".

Now I'm going way of topic, but is that common in other acts as well?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Parliament doesn't vote on the regulations; only on the primary legislation enabling the regulations. The minister wrote all the regulations without reference to parliament. If parliament votes the minister discretion to decide to exempt operators from a selection of her own regulations because it would be in the public interest, I think that's very democratic!

Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Minimums »

NotDirty! wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:09 pm I believe the exemptions you speak of are actually a part of the Fatigue Risk Management System so is in accordance with the new regulations. There is a whole section on how FRMS can be used to extend beyond the basic requirements, if the risk analysis says it is an acceptable risk, and there may be some extra requirements to make it acceptable.
This.

Any company can apply for a FRMS exemption, regardless of 705/704/703. Obtaining a rubber stamp though, is another matter, but certainly helps if you provide ‘essential services’. Expect many will go this route, but how many succeed will be a future story. Ie, Northern freight operator, you’re likely get nailed with whatever the company pleads to TC about as necessary. Shiny jet charter, less so.

BellBoy407
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BellBoy407 »

We've just made the switch to Cirro. Was the only software we could find that handled the new regs for our 703 side, and they're Canadian. So far it's pretty slick, they have apps for Android and iOS, works on PC/Mac and offline.

I'm still planning to work through the FRMS process eventually :rolleyes: , but they handle custom FDT as well. Link below if anyone needs it.

https://air-suite.com/cirro/features/flight-duty-time/

jeff_chartrand
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jeff_chartrand »

We at Skyline offer a Canadian solution for FRMS as well as 703. We have a number of carriers already using our product as well as some in the process of implementation. You can reach us at Skyres.ca.

Return to “General Comments”