Have you had Laser eye surgery?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Have you had Laser eye surgery?

Post by digits_ »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:52 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:47 pm One is, in the end, an administrative mishap, the other physically limits your ability to fly an aircraft.
At every medical you are asked if you have had any medical incidents or procedures since your last medical. If you say no at that point, and you have had your eyes done, that's not an administrative mishap, that's telling the medical examiner an outright falsehood.

Over 40 years of dealing with TC inspectors I've seen them let a lot of little things slide, but when they are lied to and realize it, the knives tend to come out.
You're not lying to the TC inspector. You're (perhaps) lying to the CAME.

Obviously I am not encouraging anyone to lie. I am merely pointing out the difference between a lie that would allow you to fly where it would otherwise disqualify you (eg lying about a heart attack) or an omission or lie that would only bypass administration.

I recall incident reports where the lack of having a night rating was not an issue, because paperwork was all filed just not processed yet. Or accident flights that didn't have a w&b or pax manifest , but it could be reconstructed and it turned out it was irrelevant as the plane was within limits. I don't recall any about hidden non-effect medical issues, but I somehow think the same principles would apply.

I could also be completely wrong!
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Fishizl
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fishizl »

I was going to get it, then found out one of the guys from the airport I fly out of, got it done here in Ottawa and it ruined his vision, ended up losing his PPC and had to sell his ac....scared me out of the decision. I'm sure this is rare but it does happen.

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by negroni »

That's an outlier. I had similar thoughts for almost ten years and when I finally did it I wish I had done it years earlier. Again, smart surface PRK not Lasik. @#$! anyone cutting into my eyeball. Who cares if it lets you see faster, you can fly for 30 days anyways.

Return to “General Comments”