Post by altiplano »

35.5 is the average AC new hire age.
---------- ADS -----------

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Canada Ultimatum

Post by stef »

Ask for a signing bonus up front that you’re confident would grow to the equivalent value of the AC pension at retirement since that’s what you’d be turning your back on.

600k at 5% over 25 years would be about 2mil for example.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

stef wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:51 pm Ask for a signing bonus up front that you’re confident would grow to the equivalent value of the AC pension at retirement since that’s what you’d be turning your back on.

600k at 5% over 25 years would be about 2mil for example.
Nothing like modest expectations. :lol:

Last edited by rookiepilot on Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Piedmont Airlines Offers Limited Time $100,000 Up Front Bonus for Experienced Pilots
https://piedmont-airlines.com/2022/11/p ... ce-pilots/

Have Pratts - Will Travel
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Air Wisconsin is 150k now lol

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

JBI wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:14 pm First of all, congrats! This is a good problem to have. While I second most of what has been said about the Cons of Corporate Flying and the Pros of Airline (AC) in particular, the question is "what would it take to stay with the current gig?"

The way I see it, based on the limited info one can provide on a public forum, the pros to going to AC are longer term career stability and pay. Perhaps also the travel benefits and, eventually, a slightly better lifestyle (though it sounds like you'd have to commute to YYZ for the foreseeable future).
Not true. I am a new hire and my commute to YYZ will only last maybe 2-3 weeks before I get my desired base. That held true for everyone in my class and subsequent classes. There is a lot of movement. It won't be like times of the past where it took years.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:24 pm Air Wisconsin is 150k now lol
Stop!!! I'm depressed :lol:

youflyboyscrackmeup
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by youflyboyscrackmeup »

I was in the same situation 5 years ago at the age of 40. I went for Air Canada and have zero regrets. Stability, scheduled days off and a pension were my deciding factors.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Somewhere on the WS forum a guy who seemed like a credible Avcan mathematician, said that a 25 year career at WS would gross 5 Million, and the same 25 year career at AC would be worth 6 Million CAD including wages, benefits and retirement plans and such. He didn't show his calculations, but if you're still young enough, that is food for thought if the window hasn't closed...

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

There are two aspects here:
1. Your life outside work
2. Your career.

Are you married? Do you have children? Are you planning to have children anytime soon? We keep talking about "work, work, work, work" on this site, but you have to ask yourself two simple questions:

1. How will this impact my life?
2. Do the rewards of going (to AC) outweigh the rewards of staying where you are?

I have a family and I also want to have my dream career. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you ask) my career took 2nd place to my family. My friends who are not married or do not have kids are way ahead of me, some of them exactly where I want to be. Am I envious? Sure... sometimes.

It's hard to see them post photos from UK, Germany, Switzerland, Greece, Brasil or Australia, while I get to fly to less glamorous places.

However I know why I made the sacrifice to stay where I am. Giving up my weekends / holidays (when I can be with my family) is not worth the reward of flying the heavy metal I always dreamed of doing. I can't "keep on sacrificing short term for long term reward". I've done enough sacrificing working up North, flying regionals, etc. Now I want to enjoy my time off, which I have a great deal of control over.

When my kid gets older I may go to mainline, go overseas or retire where I am. I wasn't fortunate enough to join Air Canada when I was younger and single. Things would have been different. Now I have to play the cards I was dealt... and the family comes first (I know, I keep repeating myself).

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:06 am I can't "keep on sacrificing short term for long term reward". I've done enough sacrificing working up North, flying regionals, etc.
+1

At some point enough is enough and you actually have to start living your life.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

westernbird wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:21 pm Good Day Fellow Forum users,

I have a question to put out into the avcanada universe.

I have been offered a spot in an upcoming Air Canada pit course.

Thanks

BV.
What did you decide to do?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”