Police interaction and RAIC application

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Police interaction and RAIC application

Post by McKinley »

Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback regarding an incident that happened between myself and the police.

I was on my way to work when I was surrounded by several police vehicles. ( light/ sirens sort of thing)

I was told to drive to an isolated location with police vehicles in front and behind me and at my sides.

I was detained for a period of time but was not told what was going on. Nonetheless, I followed their directions to a “ T” and was cooperative and respectful.

In the end, i was free to go and I found out from law enforcement that there was a B and E in the area. My personal vehicle make matched the description. However, my vehicle did not match the color of the suspect vehicle that was witnessed fleeing the scene. ( it was a long way off- which they acknowledged)

Regardless, the police said the interaction would be recorded and it would be noted that I was in the area at the time of the crime for “ investigative purposes” driving a similar make of vehicle.

At the time, I was happy for the interaction to be over and be out of there.

However, Once I had calmed down I did start to ask questions after… I also didn’t want to take up their time .

For the sake of context :

I’ve never been arrested and aside from the odd speeding ticket- I’m clear.

I’ve been in the industry for 15 years… I’ve heard that for RAIC issuance a record of police activity can cause issues (not necessarily being charged.)

Is there anything to be worried about ? Anything I could do or should consider ?

While I can respect the fact that law enforcement has a job to do.. and If my house was broken into I’d want the situation to be dealt with. With that said, I don’t want any impact on my career from being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Fundamentally, it’s not a crime to drive XYZ vehicle. Also, While my vehicle unfortunately matched the make it didn’t match the color of the suspect vehicle whatsoever. Nor were there any items that could be construed as stolen. - totally empty truck with work gear that matched the activity I was going to do.

Similarly, other vehicles were pulled over in a similar fashion to mine.

An option I could pursue is talking to a friend who is in law enforcement …first and foremost and explain my concerns.

Has anyone run into this before ?

Thoughts ? Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Police interaction and RAIC application

Post by Blueontop »

Your SOL bud. Better start a new career….

😂just messing with ya. A buddy of mine has had multiple arrests with some fairly serious charges but ultimately NOT convicted. He holds a RAIC right now. The flags that would cause issues are drug and/or trafficking charges, stuff related to terrorism, anything that would be of concern for an AIRPORT environment.

I wouldn’t worry so much about it, but hey this is just one randoms opinion/experience of the internet so take it for what it’s worth

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Don't worry about it. Drugs/gang activity is a different story.

lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

Being investigated for a crime because you happened to be in the area isn't grounds for a RAIC refusal. That information would not have been submitted in any national database. There might be a local record of the stop but if you weren't arrested or charged there's nothing to be concerned about. Just an unfortunate situation. Good luck!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

lowoleo22 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:21 pm Being investigated for a crime because you happened to be in the area isn't grounds for a RAIC refusal. That information would not have been submitted in any national database. There might be a local record of the stop but if you weren't arrested or charged there's nothing to be concerned about. Just an unfortunate situation. Good luck!
I'm sorry, but that's not true. The OP has nothing to be worried about due to the nature of his circumstances. However being associated with people with drug/gang connections is grounds for refusal. Canlii has federal court cases that were upheld. In 1 case a FA boyfriend was arrested in a drug house. In another the ex husband of an FA was associated with a gang.

I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

Return to “General Comments”