Rules on PPL training in an AULA?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rese.archer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Rules on PPL training in an AULA?

Post by rese.archer »

Just curious if/how many hours of PPL training can be done in a AULA-class aircraft in Canada.

I saw this article a few months ago about how a US airline purchased 29 Pipistrel (now Textron) Alpha Trainers for their in-house CPL development program to get pilots to the USA required 1500 hours. https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... evelopment

While I'm new to PPL training and still fine with learning in a 1970s Cessna 150 - cramped and cold as it is lately - its still a 50 year old plane that gets snagged alot and eventually they will fade away.

Looking at aircraft like the Pipstrel Alpha or Explorer series, or a CTSW etc., these seem like modern trainers with low operating costs that should be good enough to learn the basics on. I get they are costly to buy, and not all types can do spins etc. but they'd probably be ok for the circuit?

Wondering if they can be used for entry level RPP or PPL training, or if they are only permitted for ultralight licensing.
Not sure what CARs to look up - anyone got some ideas or sections to point to? Tks.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Rules on PPL training in an AULA?

Post by photofly »

Look in CARs standard 421.

If you already hold a Pilot Permit - Ultralight you can credit your time towards a PP-R. If applying for a PPL, then up to 10 hours flight time in (any) three axis ultralight may be credited. If applying for a CPL up to 25 hours of time in a three axis ultralight count.

TC is currently (or was very recently) soliciting applications from FTUs to join a trial programme to include a few selected European light sport aeroplanes in pilot training programmes, which would involve a temporary exemption to those parts of Standard 421 for student of participating FTUs (selected on the basis of ability to cooperate closely with TC monitoring on the initiative in terms of safety, and other criteria) but there's nothing generally available on those lines right now. Here's the blurb:
Transport Canada is looking to undertake a limited number of operational trials with Canadian flight schools to assess the use of Light Sport Aircraft that meet the European Union Aviation Safety Agency standards (CS-LSA) in a flight training environment. More specifically, the department is looking to gather data to evaluate the benefits and limitations of such aircraft during training. As part of the trials, Transport Canada would like to assess the performance of electrically propelled CS-LSA in comparison to otherwise similar aircraft with a conventional piston engine.

The main objectives of these trials include promoting innovation and the use of novel technology, promoting the competitiveness of Canadian flight schools, supporting broader initiative on climate change and reduction of emission (CO2, lead, noise and other pollutants), and maintaining a high level of safety.

Transport Canada is looking to conduct the trials with flight schools that will use a CS-LSA type that is entering or is already in the Transport Canada certification/validation process. The manufacturer of the CS-LSA must also confirm willingness to share information. At this time, the Pipistrel SW128 (electric) and SW121/121C (Rotax) models have been certified by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to the CS-LSA standard and are already going through the Transport Canada certification/validation process.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rese.archer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Rules on PPL training in an AULA?

Post by rese.archer »

Thanks much for the direction - CAR 421 is good start, and the quote about the trial use of CS-LSA is promising.
I'd like to find the whole article.

Based on your suggestion, I've started reading through CAR 421 - its a long document.
I had some ideas sketched out after looking up the definition of aeroplane and AULA's as they regard PPL training in 421.26 (didn't see anything overtly prohibitive) but realized there is much more to read before I post.

Thanks.

Return to “Flight Training”