Should I Accept An FIC Offer Or Wait For IFR/VFR?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

So I did my bootcamp last week for yyz and was told that offers should be rolling in around 8-12 weeks from then but I just got an offer for an FIC course.

I most likely am not going to take it because it requires me to relocate very soon for training (not in toronto) and I was expecting to do training in Toronto but I am wondering if anyone would advise me to put that aside and still consider it?

I have had my heart set out on IFR since I applied a few years ago and I know if I accept this than that means I am taken out of contention for any future offers.

Would declining this offer look bad at all since I said I was willing to relocate (which I am, I just meant after training for VFR if offered and specificed that I preferred IFR when we were asked).

Does recieving this offer mean that after the bootcamp I perhaps was not qualiied/meet the requirement for IFR/VFR offers so was offered this?

I am also wondering if I understand correctly that while if I go the VFR route I could retrain for IFR in the future but if I go through FIC that is not really an option? Could anyone speak to that?

Anyway, I am sure I am overthinking a lot of this but any advice would be apprecited.

Thanks all
---------- ADS -----------

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Should I Accept An FIC Offer Or Wait For IFR/VFR?

Post by stabilizedapproach »

They look for very different skill sets in ATC and FSS. One is not worse than the other. Chances are your skills after assessment is best suited for FSS work. If it looked more likely that you would be best suited for ATC work, I think they’ll make you wait for that instead.

If you train for VFR, you can get trained for IFR down the road by seniority bidding into a unit. They are the same union.

If you train for FSS, you’ll need to apply for a cross training opportunity into a generic ATC course. They are not the same union. The upside to this is that if you fail an ATC generic course, there are often return rights back to FSS so you don’t lose your job.

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

Since you are asking for opinions on what to do, mine is that you should accept the FIC offer and kick butt in the training so you have the best chance of getting posted where you would ideally like to be, if available. As mentioned, there are opportunities to make the move to VFR/IFR in the future if you really want it, or a lateral move to FSS.

Do you mind me asking where you would have to go for FIC training?

I had my sights set on VFR when I first applied however I was streamed FSS after FEAST testing and, after learning more about the job, I think I would happier with that option to be honest. If you have been identified as a candidate for FIC it might well be a good fit. I recently attended the final interview and expect to hear yes, no, or put in pool for possible future offer, within 6 weeks or so.

kaye.boe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kaye.boe »

From what I understand, getting your foot in the door is priority one. Like others have said, pass your FIC training then bid for VFR/IFR training opportunities in the future. If you are unsuccessful in the ATS training then your FIC qualification would allow you to stay with NavCan in that capacity.

Kamloops, Edmonton, and London are all half decent places to live in my opinion (Quebec City too if you are bilingual). You'll learn a ton of information related to the aviation world that could lead to dispatching, coordinator, etc. positions with specific airlines that allows flexibility in future employment. Either which way, FIC is an important job and from what I've read on here many of those who were hoping for ATC turned out to love the job.

As for the chances of getting a VFR/IFR offer after turning down FIC, hard to say. There's a reason they offered you FIC, whether that means you're more suitable for the FSS stream or not quite at the top of the candidate list, I would take is as a win, not many people get that e-mail or phone call. :)

natalielion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by natalielion »

If you were offered FSS, it is almost certain you did not get selected for IFR/VFR so you should make a decision based on that fact. The others are correct that you can apply for cross-training into IFR/VFR in the future once you passed the FSS training.

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

Interesting you got the offer so fast after bootcamp.

I think like other said, declining wouldn't make you ineligible for VFR/IFR but being offered FIC it means they think thats the position you are best suited for.

I think you should ask yourself, if you would like to actually work FIC? Do you prefer your current job? Salary, location preferences? If you are inbetween jobs, dont mind moving, then I think its better to get a foot in the door, if you have a nice stable job right now then its better to decline and take the chance or reapply 2-3 years later. Alot of licensed controllers applied more than once.

I would personally decline FIC, and in my group everyone else said the same.

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

natalielion wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:22 pm If you were offered FSS, it is almost certain you did not get selected for IFR/VFR so you should make a decision based on that fact. The others are correct that you can apply for cross-training into IFR/VFR in the future once you passed the FSS training.
What makes you say that? When I asked if that was the case they said no.

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

sk1996 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:22 am [quote=natalielion post_id=<a href="tel:1198366">1198366</a> time=<a href="tel:1655000523">1655000523</a> user_id=72142]
If you were offered FSS, it is almost certain you did not get selected for IFR/VFR so you should make a decision based on that fact. The others are correct that you can apply for cross-training into IFR/VFR in the future once you passed the FSS training.

You should consider the fact that it is a rolling list of eligibility so if you pass up now, there is a chance that when it’s time to load the IFR course, you might get placed high enough before the cut. In that sense, you are not considered out of the running if you say no now.

Also, there are cut scores to all streams and the company is running assessments like crazy. What are the chances that you will still rank at the top after they process another 200 applicants for maybe 20 ATC seats this year?

natalielion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by natalielion »

sk1996 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:22 am
natalielion wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:22 pm If you were offered FSS, it is almost certain you did not get selected for IFR/VFR so you should make a decision based on that fact. The others are correct that you can apply for cross-training into IFR/VFR in the future once you passed the FSS training.
If you were called for a guaranteed spot in FSS, that means your qualities placed highly on the FSS stream. If you wish to turn down this offer, you will be placed against all the candidates who placed highly on the IFR/VFR lists. Rejecting the FSS offer for a "maybe" IFR/VFR offer will be a risk you'll have to weigh (mostly based on whether or not you are interested in FSS).

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

natalielion wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:45 pm
sk1996 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:22 am
If you were called for a guaranteed spot in FSS, that means your qualities placed highly on the FSS stream. If you wish to turn down this offer, you will be placed against all the candidates who placed highly on the IFR/VFR lists. Rejecting the FSS offer for a "maybe" IFR/VFR offer will be a risk you'll have to weigh (mostly based on whether or not you are interested in FSS).

Worst case scenario if I don’t get an IFR/VFR offer I may still be offered FIC again in the future, correct?

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

sk1996 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:28 pm Worst case scenario if I don’t get an IFR/VFR offer I may still be offered FIC again in the future, correct?
correct only if the company stops recruiting (again). nothing in the recruiting process is static and your rank will definitely change as they assess more people. imo the best time to get in with the company is before they start their crazy hiring spree and add more candidates/competition to the pool.

you seem to have made up your mind on reddit, so best of luck to you getting an ATC offer down the road.

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

stabilizedapproach wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:05 pm
sk1996 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:28 pm Worst case scenario if I don’t get an IFR/VFR offer I may still be offered FIC again in the future, correct?
correct only if the company stops recruiting (again). nothing in the recruiting process is static and your rank will definitely change as they assess more people. imo the best time to get in with the company is before they start their crazy hiring spree and add more candidates/competition to the pool.

you seem to have made up your mind on reddit, so best of luck to you getting an ATC offer down the road.
Thanks.

Yeah waking up today I was reconsidering it heavily and thinking of accepting but timing is just also playing a huge role unfortunately for me. If the course start date was early - mid next year I could probably swing this but reloacating so soon is an issue sadly.

alphy89
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by alphy89 »

kaye.boe wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:31 pm

Kamloops, Edmonton, and London are all half decent places to live in my opinion (

I would choose London probably over the other two

naribari
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naribari »

alphy89 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:06 am
kaye.boe wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:31 pm

Kamloops, Edmonton, and London are all half decent places to live in my opinion (

I would choose London probably over the other two
Did they say that you would get to choose?

bb9999
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bb9999 »

Just to give some insight on this, I was offered FSS and FIC (weeks apart) and declined both but asked during the second call if there were any ATC spots availble in other FIRs. They said I qualified for one and if I was willing to relocated I could have that spot. (originally was in YYZ FIR)

So this is not necessarily true.

natalielion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by natalielion »

bb9999 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:25 pm
Just to give some insight on this, I was offered FSS and FIC (weeks apart) and declined both but asked during the second call if there were any ATC spots availble in other FIRs. They said I qualified for one and if I was willing to relocated I could have that spot. (originally was in YYZ FIR)

So this is not necessarily true.
You're right, I should have specified "likely not selected for your FIR". Very cool they were able to find you a spot in another region.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”