YVR/YXX based 705s?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

canyonclay
Rank 0
Rank 0

YVR/YXX based 705s?

Post by canyonclay »

Hey, I’m looking to live in YVR/YXX. Is this a complete list of 705s with a pilot base in YVR/YXX? Which one will allow me to be based in YVR/YXX the fastest? Thank you.

Air Canada
Westjet
Flair
Jazz
Cargojet
Morningstar
Sunwing
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: YVR/YXX based 705s?

Post by co-joe »

Flair is the only airline that bases crews at YXX. AC/ Jazz have zero presence there. WestJet/ Swoop and Encore land there but it's not a domicile as far as I know.

As for YVR; Flair, Air Canada, Jazz, and Cargo Jet are actively hiring for YVR positions. Sunwing, Westjet and Air Transat have pilots based there and are hiring, but I have no idea about that base being open.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

Morningstar doesn't have have 757 pilots based at YVR, only Caravans.

Other smaller 705s at YVR:

CMA Dash 8
PASCO Saab
Flightcraft Convair
Summit Dash 8

canyonclay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canyonclay »

So Flair, Air Canada, Jazz and Cargojet will have YVR openings for new hires? And those smaller 705s will too? I'm assuming the bigger operators will have longer term stability and higher salary. I think I have the experience to be a little picky, any airlines not worth submitting my application to?

oakmoss1889
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oakmoss1889 »

canyonclay wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:19 pm any airlines not worth submitting my application to?
Ya, CMA.

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

WJ you'll be able to pretty much hold YVR at hire

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

AC's biggest hurdle is the flat pay. Once you're over that you'll be doing okay. You may be able to hold YVR right away, but extremely likely within your first year. Captain upgrades are a bit faster out east so you can get off flat pay within a few years if you're okay bidding to the bottom and living the reserve life/while commuting (not the best on reserve).

AC is definitely a career airline. Unfortunately if you're not in your early 20s now, it's unlikely you'll ever get to the double digit seniority numbers however you will be still afforded a decent career as a WB FO or NB CA. If you're now in your mid 30s or less you can likely hold a WB CA too in your career, but you may not be senior on it.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”