Flying after a knee surgery

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Flying after an ACL surgery

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Once you're off the pain killers you should be good to go. Probably be pretty stiff getting into and out of the airplane, especially if it's a light twin.
---------- ADS -----------

futboler14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by futboler14 »

I tore my ACL back in 2006. I didn't get surgery until Christmas 2014 (too busy flying).

I was off for a couple months while it healed, but was back in the cockpit shortly after. It wasn't a big deal.

Just know your limits. I was flying a 737 at the time so it wasn't a very physical job. I do remember the rudder pedals feeling a little stiff on my knee in question.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

futboler14 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:43 am I tore my ACL back in 2006. I didn't get surgery until Christmas 2014 (too busy flying).

I was off for a couple months while it healed, but was back in the cockpit shortly after. It wasn't a big deal.

Just know your limits. I was flying a 737 at the time so it wasn't a very physical job. I do remember the rudder pedals feeling a little stiff on my knee in question.
Did your aviation doc know you were flying with a torn ACL because I’m fairly certain that wouldn’t be allowed. It’s not about day to day it’s about how useful is the knee going to be if you have an engine failure and need to push on the rudder and hold it? how does the knee hold up in an evacuation etc?

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

Tore my ACL downhill skiing in 2010. I was working the ramp at the time, I took 3 weeks off at the time and went back to work. I've only got it fixed 2 years after that after noticing a frequent "popping" while pushing ULD with my legs loading cargo planes.

Your leg will be really stiff after the surgery, I could hardly fold it. Once most of the pain is gone, physio will be your friend, don't skimp on it. In fact my physio wanted me to do two set of exercises a day, in order to expedite the recovery I was doing at least x3 sets a day. I had crutches for the first month and a half. 6 months post-op I was back to running.

You can roughly estimated to be able to fly (with a instructor at least) after about a month and a half. In the mean time physio, physio, physio.

Good luck!

Return to “General Comments”