What’s going on?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

What’s going on?

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I just visited vertical for the first time in memory, the same names from 10-15 years ago are keeping themselves company but there’s only a handful. It’s a ghost town there as well as here for Canadian helicopter personnel. Is it really that quiet in Canada these days? I had the same flurry of emails and texts up until about a week ago begging for help. Just curious what’s keeping people working in Canada these days?

Cheese;

BS
---------- ADS -----------

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What’s going on?

Post by MOAB »

Man it’s the same thing in like every thread on here, nothing new

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

MOAB wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:38 pm Man it’s the same thing in like every thread on here, nothing new
Ya I think so, there’s less and less of us active in Canada each year..

derek212
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by derek212 »

New to Forum but have been flying helicopters for 42 years. Just sitting on mins and found the site and thought I would pipe in.
I agree with someone who mentioned it appears to be the same folks always playing around in the forums out there.
I cant comment on too much as opinions are more than plentiful but there are less of us out there flying. The numbers are closer to what it was back in the 80s so life is changing as it is with the industry and the way customers are responding and us operators are having to consider whats next.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

derek212 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:31 am New to Forum but have been flying helicopters for 42 years. Just sitting on mins and found the site and thought I would pipe in.
I agree with someone who mentioned it appears to be the same folks always playing around in the forums out there.
I cant comment on too much as opinions are more than plentiful but there are less of us out there flying. The numbers are closer to what it was back in the 80s so life is changing as it is with the industry and the way customers are responding and us operators are having to consider whats next.
Yep it’s the same guys flying in 2022 that I remember 3 decades ago that we’re old to me. Universal, Great Slave (DA), Highland, Lakelse, all gone in the last three years. I’m probably missing more as I’m not keeping up with the industry as much anymore as I’m states side now but good god. 860 CPL-H issued in 2021, 249 ATPL-H…. much less this year.
It was a crap fire year, oil and gas is on the brink of extinction, what’s next indeed.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Not much work left that’s for sure

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

The only thing keeping me in Canada is the lack of a US visa and international work seems hard to come by for a VFR utility pilot or at least companies you would want to work for.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

The Mole wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:29 am The only thing keeping me in Canada is the lack of a US visa and international work seems hard to come by for a VFR utility pilot or at least companies you would want to work for.
I’ve never seen things worse in Canada

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

The Mole wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:29 am The only thing keeping me in Canada is the lack of a US visa and international work seems hard to come by for a VFR utility pilot or at least companies you would want to work for.
You have to get a sponsorship that’s all. The states love our pilots

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:02 am
Easier said than done, unless you're willing to share a US companies name thats willing to sponsor a snow Mexican.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

The Mole wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:19 am
PitchLink wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:02 am
Easier said than done, unless you're willing to share a US companies name thats willing to sponsor a snow Mexican.
Literally everything is easier said than done lol

Return to “Helicopter Forum”