Pay Transparency 2023

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Pay Transparency 2023

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

This has been a troubling issue in Canadian aviation for a very long time. I think everyone has noticed that most ads in this industry are very evasive about remuneration in almost all job postings.
I think part of this is to keep resumes rolling in without posting how grossly low the pay is. In addition, thus can further drive down what they can pay the newer crowd coming into HR for interviews. There are various factors behind employer salary secrecy and none are in good faith for the future candidates applying. Several States and a few select provinces are making it mandatory to post key information including pay and schedule in job ads.
I personally think it should be federal law, below are a few good reads on this matter, what does the aviation community say in Canada?

“Two viewpoints are holding for job seekers: They want salary transparency and don’t believe employers’ reasons for not providing it. A Resume Lab survey showed 80% of workers would likely not apply for a job without a salary range listed. And, 77% said companies who post jobs without salary information cannot be trusted. Most respondents even believe a lack of salary information in job postings should be "illegal." Despite clear demand, pay transparency laws remain outliers in the U.S. Only 12 states and municipalities have invoked them.“

~ Todd Dybas, Editor at LinkedIn News

https://www.hrdive.com/news/workers-dem ... cy/641305/

https://www.businessinsider.com/hiring- ... obe-2023-1
---------- ADS -----------

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pay Transparency 2023

Post by thepoors »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:23 pm I think part of this is to keep resumes rolling in without posting how grossly low the pay is. In addition, thus can further drive down what they can pay the newer crowd coming into HR for interviews.
I think you're very correct. Problem is even when pilots know the pay is garbage (AC being the #1 example) they still go there in droves. How being the lowest paid in the f*kn world doesn't seem to bother these people I will never know... It's absolutely shameful.

We need a major mindset shift as pilots in this country - to value our profession and ourselves. It finally happened in the US and look at their wawcon now. But until Canadian pilots stand up to unions and the unions stand up to management, we will continue to be treated like garbage.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Pay Transparency 2023

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

thepoors wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:40 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:23 pm I think part of this is to keep resumes rolling in without posting how grossly low the pay is. In addition, thus can further drive down what they can pay the newer crowd coming into HR for interviews.
I think you're very correct. Problem is even when pilots know the pay is garbage (AC being the #1 example) they still go there in droves. How being the lowest paid in the f*kn world doesn't seem to bother these people I will never know... It's absolutely shameful.

We need a major mindset shift as pilots in this country - to value our profession and ourselves. It finally happened in the US and look at their wawcon now. But until Canadian pilots stand up to unions and the unions stand up to management, we will continue to be treated like garbage.
I fought that battle for years and I ultimately was outgunned. I made the transition states side years ago and couldn’t be happier. Seeing how far things have declined in Canada and the colleagues and friends of mine that are still taking this gross negligence from major employers is gut wrenching to witness. I wish nothing but the best for Canadian aviation but I don’t see it getting any better any time soon.

Return to “General Comments”