Westjet mechs unionizing

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Westjet mechs unionizing

Post by chowda »

I knew there was talk of them attempting this back in the fall, but apparently its gone through. Theyre just waiting out the protest stage.

Story is from last Nov. Cant find anythng else anywere in print.

https://skiesmag.com/press-releases/mor ... n-by-amfa/

"“WestJet AMEs feel their trade deserves distinction and respect. They seek focused bargaining and consistent application of fair work rules in efforts to address and restore the deteriorated culture of their workplace”

That quote honestly could apply to damn near every operator in canada...
---------- ADS -----------

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Westjet mechs unionizing

Post by YYCAME »

Card drive was completed and they are now applying for status with the CIRB. Then if approved they have an official vote.

https://www.amfanational.org/?zone=/uni ... eID=886852

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Good for them. They were being made to work as rampies marshalling planes during the deep freeze when all of ATS stayed home. About time they unionized!

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

YYCAME wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:45 pm Card drive was completed and they are now applying for status with the CIRB. Then if approved they have an official vote.

https://www.amfanational.org/?zone=/uni ... eID=886852
Thanks for link.

AMFA's mission statement is what a lot of AME's in this country are concerned about. I like their aviation technician specificity.

Wonder if AC's techs will be able to disentangle themselves from their mess and switch over?

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:05 pm Good for them. They were being made to work as rampies marshalling planes during the deep freeze when all of ATS stayed home. About time they unionized!
+1

Its really the norm in canada, right???

AME's are thrown into anything that other's refuse or are performing poorly at irrespective of how far removed the task are from theit original job descriptions.
I learned years ago not to bring up what were obvious dereliction of duties by rampies/ground handlers/etc and almost always those tasks ended up being added to maintenances workload.

Some of the shit was just crazy but always the negligent got away with outright refusing to do their work, while maintenance got shit on for either "letting it happen" or "not stepping up".
The lack of backbones for many AME's just made it easier

So for years now I just do my tasks with blinders on. "Can you move the air bridge? Nobody showed up." "Nope, never been trained on it and Im here to fix airplanes." "But it cant be harder than an airplane..!" ,

Now you're a bad guy if you dont, but you also are if you damage the airplane or equipment because you were not authorized to operate it.

But there's always some nightshift hero who will do it, especially if the gate agent is sort of cute.

So in short, refuse to do other peoples jobs outside of maintenance.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

AC AME's are also trying to do the same thing currently and I wouldn't be surprised if other places follow suit. I think in general we would benefit from having a national trade union that advocates for us and gives employees at smaller outfits the power to negotiate for better wages. We get picked off by all the small employers that think we should be grateful to have a job. As an apprentice fresh out of school I had to walk away from an offer because they literally were offering minimum wage and I couldn't afford to live on that and repay my student loans. Meanwhile my electrician friend was going from 20 to 28 to 36 each year of his apprenticeship.

747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

chowda wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:33 pm +1

AME's are thrown into anything that other's refuse or are performing poorly at irrespective of how far removed the task are from theit original job descriptions.
I learned years ago not to bring up what were obvious dereliction of duties by rampies/ground handlers/etc and almost always those tasks ended up being added to maintenances workload.

Some of the shit was just crazy but always the negligent got away with outright refusing to do their work, while maintenance got shit on for either "letting it happen" or "not stepping up".

"It's ____'s job to do it but maintenance's responsibility to ensure it gets done" seems to be par for the course at a lot of places. I'm at the point if the bosses want to pay me $45/hour+ AME wages to go do ramp work I just let them. More friends at the christmas party, less paperwork to sign, and still get paid the same.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I don’t think this is a positive with the particular set of circumstances. WJ is owned by an asset and wealth management company (Onex)with extremely sharp pencils, they will be well prepared for this.
They’ve already trimmed as much fat as possible since the takeover three years ago, and I can almost guarantee this will end up in years interlocutory proceedings freezing wages and further hobbling the work conditions.
I wish everyone there the best, but I am not optimistic, anyone else that has lived through the first engagement of union on-boarding knows it’s ugly. Strikes, wage haggling etc.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:37 am I don’t think this is a positive with the particular set of circumstances. WJ is owned by an asset and wealth management company (Onex)with extremely sharp pencils, they will be well prepared for this.
They’ve already trimmed as much fat as possible since the takeover three years ago, and I can almost guarantee this will end up in years interlocutory proceedings freezing wages and further hobbling the work conditions.
I wish everyone there the best, but I am not optimistic, anyone else that has lived through the first engagement of union on-boarding knows it’s ugly. Strikes, wage haggling etc.
Oh no not a strike….. stop spreading fear a strike isn’t a bad word it’s part of bargaining, if I were a WJ mechanic I’d much rather risk needing to go on strike than be outsourced

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Ummm yeah as a union member I am actually shocked by the negative response about unionizing. A company deserves the union it gets….period. Collective bargaining perhaps teaches even a “sharp penciled” company like Onex that other folks have power to manipulate also. Those that stick it out will be better off in the long run no question. And for the record I have worked most of my life non-union unfortunately.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:00 pm Ummm yeah as a union member I am actually shocked by the negative response about unionizing. A company deserves the union it gets….period. Collective bargaining perhaps teaches even a “sharp penciled” company like Onex that other folks have power to manipulate also. Those that stick it out will be better off in the long run no question. And for the record I have worked most of my life non-union unfortunately.
Unions are hit and miss, it’s the introduction of the union at the workplace that becomes ugly and very drawn out.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

fish4life wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:31 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:37 am I don’t think this is a positive with the particular set of circumstances. WJ is owned by an asset and wealth management company (Onex)with extremely sharp pencils, they will be well prepared for this.
Oh no not a strike….. stop spreading fear a strike isn’t a bad word it’s part of bargaining, if I were a WJ mechanic I’d much rather risk needing to go on strike than be outsourced
Spreading fear isn’t my intent, it’s the I initialization of the union that is usually ugly and drawn out, that is a fact.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

I guess that is always the case when people stand up for the rights of themselves and their friends. Often it can be a positive experience to find out that you aren't alone and that other people have your back and vice versa. Personally I'd rather be part of a group fight than be threatened with unemployment every time I don't jump high enough for a random manager who wants their numbers to look better. It's not a big deal when everything is great and employees are respected but we all know that changes when a company is being bled dry of its value.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

747-875 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:47 pm
chowda wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:33 pm +1

"It's ____'s job to do it but maintenance's responsibility to ensure it gets done" seems to be par for the course at a lot of places. I'm at the point if the bosses want to pay me $45/hour+ AME wages to go do ramp work I just let them. More friends at the christmas party, less paperwork to sign, and still get paid the same.
My dad's friend is an AME who used to work at Canadian Airlines. At that shop only AME's were allowed doing push backs or towing airplanes. They were in charge of the "labourers" who chucked bags. As a pilot I wish that's the way it was. Massive difference in competence and judgement.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Sorry if there’s a strike so be it, if there’s growing pains so be it. If anyone honestly believes that a union would do more harm than good they should just move on. If they shut the doors or lock you out trust me you’ll be better off in the long run. There should be no illusions about it ONEX will fight it and so what? At the end of the day their screwed for bodies so unless they shutter they better learn to pay the piper.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

-42 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:45 pm Sorry if there’s a strike so be it, if there’s growing pains so be it. If anyone honestly believes that a union would do more harm than good they should just move on. If they shut the doors or lock you out trust me you’ll be better off in the long run. There should be no illusions about it ONEX will fight it and so what? At the end of the day their screwed for bodies so unless they shutter they better learn to pay the piper.
This.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

We all know the government won't allow a strike and you end up being given whatever an arbitrator decides is the 'industry' standard. Which is code for maintain the status quo at best and allow the company to dictate the industry standard at worst.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Yeah well if that happens who cares? At the least people stood their ground and if that did not make the employment situation better and more wasn’t brought to the table please pull you balls out of your stomach and get a different job and or career. If everyone did that then it would be a better environment for all.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:05 pm Yeah well if that happens who cares? At the least people stood their ground and if that did not make the employment situation better and more wasn’t brought to the table please pull you balls out of your stomach and get a different job and or career. If everyone did that then it would be a better environment for all.
The last time I saw a union knock at a big companies door like Westjet that is exactly what happened.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:53 pm
-42 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:05 pm Yeah well if that happens who cares? At the least people stood their ground and if that did not make the employment situation better and more wasn’t brought to the table please pull you balls out of your stomach and get a different job and or career. If everyone did that then it would be a better environment for all.
The last time I saw a union knock at a big companies door like Westjet that is exactly what happened.
Enlighten me how getting "Years of Service" and "trip rigs" doesn't make the employment situation better? Specially at a company with 10+ year upgrade times. That difference alone could potentially be in the 7 figure range when it comes to career earnings and lost opportunity cost.

Return to “Maintenance”