WJ mainline cancelling GS due to lack of experienced applicants

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: WJ mainline cancelling GS due to lack of experienced applicants

Post by Bil Derberg »

Vanguard wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:43 pm
Apestogetherstrong wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:40 pm We just lost Rashid to AC. What a gem he was! WJ is in a spiral dive to failure. Apparently the CEO is getting sacked as well. What stupid leadership lets that many pilot leave just to save pennies on the dollar.
PilotRashid left WJ? Wow. Things must be getting really bad if guys like him leave WJ. He pretty much bled teal since the beginning. At least the was enjoyable to fly with and good pilot too. AC is getting some really good people now. I sense some good changes coming for contract season.
" Bleed Teal " Sounds like a cult...
---------- ADS -----------

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Bil Derberg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:42 pm " Bleed Teal " Sounds like a cult...
How do you think they got pilots to clean airplanes for no compensation for so many years?

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

averageatbest wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:03 pm
Bil Derberg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:42 pm " Bleed Teal " Sounds like a cult...
How do you think they got pilots to clean airplanes for no compensation for so many years?
Or convinced people to PAY money to clean the exteriors.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Bil Derberg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:42 pm
Vanguard wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:43 pm
Apestogetherstrong wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:40 pm We just lost Rashid to AC. What a gem he was! WJ is in a spiral dive to failure. Apparently the CEO is getting sacked as well. What stupid leadership lets that many pilot leave just to save pennies on the dollar.
PilotRashid left WJ? Wow. Things must be getting really bad if guys like him leave WJ. He pretty much bled teal since the beginning. At least the was enjoyable to fly with and good pilot too. AC is getting some really good people now. I sense some good changes coming for contract season.
" Bleed Teal " Sounds like a cult...

It does. Not like we don’t have to those at AC either. Mehhh… as long as I can sit with the guy for the day in peace I don’t care. Like I said, good people are a commodity in our business. I meant it as an expression with an assumption. He wasn’t drooling in the kool-aid, just that never thought he would consider leaving…

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

RippleRock wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:21 am
Vanguard wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:26 pm
Aviator12 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:39 am Why leave before the contract gets finalized? Seems like quite a risk losing all those years of seniority. WestJet has their issues but I’ve learned throughout my career the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Wasn’t long ago AC was garbage and WestJet was the place to be. Could easily cycle back to that.
I plan to stick it out and at least see what the new contract looks like. Besides, 4 years of flat pay, 10 years of reserve and not having Xmas off for 20 years doesn’t seem too appealing to me.
The way it’s going now it looks like the 10 year upgrade could get reduced pretty quickly with the amount of turnover.
True but I think if you’re young enough. AC is hiring a wave of pilots. I think it’s a good time to get in. 2018/2019 hires took 767F CA… young guys. Guys who say omg they’re gonna be on reserve for life blah blah blah. If you’re not on the inside you’re just on the outside looking at a diff lense. Even if they sit reserve or jr — they’re making bank $ for it and have a pension…one thing about seniority is that at least there is some consistency in your shit schedule. If you’re in your 30s it’s a no brainer. Flat will most probably go away soon enough too. Suck for WJ to lose real quality pilots tho… that on its own is a commodity lately. AC hires all kinds still - scum of aviation to top brass … look at KD for example 🤦🏻‍♂️… we’d trade him any day for PR..
How could you possibly recommend a move from WJ to Big Red? Especially Cargo. The WACON there is abysmal, which is exactly why its going so junior. No one sane wants it. Good luck to those "new young Skippers" flying a widebody into Quito or Bogota on a dark stormy night with a very recent King Air pilot out of Timmins as their wing-man. The problems haven't even begun in regard to this.

Our $hit may smell slightly less than the rest in Canada, but it still really stinks compared to our US counterparts. It especially reeks at Cargo.

Best bet is to stay and clean up your own room and see how it turns out before eyeballing your neighbours.
What is abysmal to you is opportunity for others now. How did you vote during the pandemic when the company came to the pilots with their tails between their legs to ask for a 10% discount?

Did you have the courage to vote no then? The senior guys have been the problem from the beginning at AC. They’re out of touch with the reality of new pilots while they sit and enjoy their DB pensions as they’ve sold out the young so many times over these 10yrs. No one wants it he says but heck if I was 30 again and a 767CA in Canada I wouldn’t have much to complain about.

The old guard is gone, that’s a fact. It still hurts them to see that we want to bring better changes to aviation in Canada. Pilot costs don’t make or break airlines but man you can’t get that out of their heads. Change is coming and people without foresight will always sit there and bitch about something or the other.

Tigger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tigger »

Vanguard wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:02 am

How could you possibly recommend a move from WJ to Big Red? .
Well, when 9 and 10 year FO's are willing to leave the cult because the take-home $$$ at AC's $51,000 (or whatever it is) first year flat-pay isn't a big pay cut...

...why on earth wouldn't you leave????? Our 9 year FO's on the bus can easily make north of $150k.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Your heart is in the right place but your information is not. Y5+ guys at WJ easily make 150-200k with a bit of OT but with the 20% ESP the take home does suck but they do get that matched. I know a FO who did 200k and a captain at WJ who made 506k — he’s pretty famous and pretty crazy. I’m sure you’ve seen his posts about the seniority list issue. Also keep in mind some guys don’t do the full 20% — if you take that away the pay issue isn’t as crazy.

If you’re comparing Encore FOs or Captains then you’re right the flat pay is quite the improvement.

Y4 FOs at AC are making 125k with some VO

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

True but I think if you’re young enough. AC is hiring a wave of pilots. I think it’s a good time to get in. 2018/2019 hires took 767F CA… young guys. Guys who say omg they’re gonna be on reserve for life blah blah blah. If you’re not on the inside you’re just on the outside looking at a diff lense. Even if they sit reserve or jr — they’re making bank $ for it and have a pension…one thing about seniority is that at least there is some consistency in your shit schedule. If you’re in your 30s it’s a no brainer. Flat will most probably go away soon enough too. Suck for WJ to lose real quality pilots tho… that on its own is a commodity lately. AC hires all kinds still - scum of aviation to top brass … look at KD for example 🤦🏻‍♂️… we’d trade him any day for PR..
How could you possibly recommend a move from WJ to Big Red? Especially Cargo. The WACON there is abysmal, which is exactly why its going so junior. No one sane wants it. Good luck to those "new young Skippers" flying a widebody into Quito or Bogota on a dark stormy night with a very recent King Air pilot out of Timmins as their wing-man. The problems haven't even begun in regard to this.

Our $hit may smell slightly less than the rest in Canada, but it still really stinks compared to our US counterparts. It especially reeks at Cargo.

Best bet is to stay and clean up your own room and see how it turns out before eyeballing your neighbours.

What is abysmal to you is opportunity for others now. How did you vote during the pandemic when the company came to the pilots with their tails between their legs to ask for a 10% discount?

Did you have the courage to vote no then? The senior guys have been the problem from the beginning at AC. They’re out of touch with the reality of new pilots while they sit and enjoy their DB pensions as they’ve sold out the young so many times over these 10yrs. No one wants it he says but heck if I was 30 again and a 767CA in Canada I wouldn’t have much to complain about.

The old guard is gone, that’s a fact. It still hurts them to see that we want to bring better changes to aviation in Canada. Pilot costs don’t make or break airlines but man you can’t get that out of their heads. Change is coming and people without foresight will always sit there and bitch about something or the other.
Who are you exactly? You clearly have no clue who I am.

You think my comments denote a "yes vote" to the Cargo fiasco? Read it again. Yes there are plenty of the "old guard" who sold a generation of pilots down the river. There are also plenty of us who were sickened by it, and opposed it at every step and every slip.

How about cleaning up the issues at WJ, all of which were caused by not drawing a scope line in the sand, and standing by it. Who's direction did you take to get where you're at exactly? You've got your own "old guard" issues. We don't need more of that wishy-washiness over here, comprised of those choosing to flee it instead of fix it.

Recommending that the young in your organization do just that to create a pilot exodus so Management will finally take notice and increase your compensation to stem the flow is a cop out.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

RippleRock wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:22 pm

You think my comments denote a "yes vote" to the Cargo fiasco? Read it again. Yes there are plenty of the "old guard" who sold a generation of pilots down the river. There are also plenty of us who were sickened by it, and opposed it at every step and every slip.

How about cleaning up the issues at WJ, all of which were caused by not drawing a scope line in the sand, and standing by it. Who's direction did you take to get where you're at exactly? You've got your own "old guard" issues. We don't need more of that wishy-washiness over here, comprised of those choosing to flee it instead of fix it.

Recommending that the young in your organization do just that to create a pilot exodus so Management will finally take notice and increase your compensation to stem the flow is a cop out.

Are you someone special? You sound quite entitled so I'm ready for an education. I'd love to hear your history about fleeing - people are going to make moves and clearly people are okay coming down to the flat pay to make a change. I think its refreshing in someway especially as it is contract year. The old guard will have a hard time recruiting their support when majority of the pilot group is paid peanuts and poverty wages.

If anything AC is really to blame for setting up this whole industry the way it is today. Not that WJ is also not to blame but I have a stronger feeling they may actually stand their ground finally. The AC pilots have a tough time standing up to ACPA and the company.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Vanguard wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:12 am

Are you someone special? You sound quite entitled so I'm ready for an education. I'd love to hear your history about fleeing - people are going to make moves and clearly people are okay coming down to the flat pay to make a change. I think its refreshing in someway especially as it is contract year. The old guard will have a hard time recruiting their support when majority of the pilot group is paid peanuts and poverty wages.

If anything AC is really to blame for setting up this whole industry the way it is today. Not that WJ is also not to blame but I have a stronger feeling they may actually stand their ground finally. The AC pilots have a tough time standing up to ACPA and the company.
AC is to BLAME! Seriously!
I guess you weren’t around when WJ pilots were paid, what was it, 56,000/yr as a 37 Captain!
Stock options blah blah blah, could’ve been worthless and certainly has not been used as a benchmark. Make no mistake, WJ started the long slide to rock bottom but go ahead if it makes you feel better, blame AC

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

When were Westjet Captains paid less than 60k/yr? Can someone post a reference.

Franky Jr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Franky Jr »

When comparing AC and WJ you should add 15% to AC pay due to company pension contribution and paid benefits (these never show up on a T4), it is probably more than 15% but it puts you in the ballpark. Whereas a WJ T4 is the all in price.

For me, if i hear of a high paid WJ pilot, great, what is important is how many days did he work to make that.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Dronepiper wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:01 pm When were Westjet Captains paid less than 60k/yr? Can someone post a reference.
When they started in 1996. They were the Lynx/Flair of the day but at least there were equity incentives.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

cdnavater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:02 am

I guess you weren’t around when WJ pilots were paid, what was it, 56,000/yr as a 37 Captain!
Stock options blah blah blah, could’ve been worthless and certainly has not been used as a benchmark. Make no mistake, WJ started the long slide to rock bottom but go ahead if it makes you feel better, blame AC
When westjet paid really low they weren’t a competitor to AC, WJ wouldn’t have been big enough to be actually competing with AC until the mid 2000’s.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

Franky Jr wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:34 pm For me, if i hear of a high paid WJ pilot, great, what is important is how many days did he work to make that.
And what effect did that lifestyle have on them mentally.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

fish4life wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:39 pm
cdnavater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:02 am

When westjet paid really low they weren’t a competitor to AC, WJ wouldn’t have been big enough to be actually competing with AC until the mid 2000’s.
Did that stop AC from using them as a benchmark for wages?
And I think you’re are mistaken, they were domestic competitors on the same routes, just not big enough for AC to care, that backfired on them.

Canpilot7
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canpilot7 »

What really matters is what the two groups will do with their leverage and contracts that expire close to one another. Both groups have learned the hard lesson of why you can't go to binding arbitration. With the leverage they have and the competition in the market, hopefully both groups know they should be going to lockout/strike if they don't make massive gains.

I won't hold my breath however... didn't ALPA take a 90+% strike vote to arbitration last time? Or was that government action that forced their hand in 2018?

Return to “WestJet”