Routes for each aircraft type

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

orangejuice
Rank 0
Rank 0

Routes for each aircraft type

Post by orangejuice »

I am curious, can anyone expand on the different routes each aircraft fly?

I get the difference between the NB and WB obviously and each base may differ, but within each of those where do they fly?
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Routes for each aircraft type

Post by lownslow »

Widebodies can cross an ocean. Widebodies can’t land on short runways.

737s can do both but have to fly to a fairly near shore.

Beyond that is anyone’s guess.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

lownslow wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:53 am Widebodies can cross an ocean. Widebodies can’t land on short runways.

737s can do both but have to fly to a fairly near shore.

Beyond that is anyone’s guess.
Not true... 737 Max are ETOPS rated, and so are the 320/321neos, and several airlines cross the Atlantic daily with them, just look at Air Transat

Also, not sure what your definition of short runway is, but depending on that definition, widebodies can most definitely land on short runways, and takeoff depending on the conditions, but I think most pilots know this

Back to the OPs question

There are some sources online that will show you the route map and aircraft type, but they are all paid subscriptions...

Flightradar24 will show you all their routes and what aircraft is scheduled to fly them for free, but you have to go individually by each route to see the aircraft type

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

https://services.aircanada.com/portal/r ... ble-en.pdf

Air Canada timetables are available online, you can check each route and see which aircraft is assigned to it.

Keep in mind that the aircraft type assigned to a specific route/flight number can be swapped on short notice depending on a number of factors, such as forecast demand, fleet availability, etc., so these documents may become less accurate the longer time has elapsed from when they were published. For example, a number of routes that were initially intended to be operated by Jazz aircraft this summer are now being upgauged to mainline narrowbodies due to ongoing staffing issues at Jazz. This has the knock-on effect of certain mainline A220 routes being subbed out for A320s and 737s, as the A220 is typically used to replace flights that were previously operated by E175/CRJ900 aircraft.

As the previous poster said, resources like Flightradar24 can also give you a live snapshot of which type is flying which route on any given day.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

twa22 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:52 pm 737 Max are ETOPS rated, and so are the 320/321neos, and several airlines cross the Atlantic daily with them, just look at Air Transat
True but this is the AC sub forum and I don’t believe they’re presently doing any ocean crossing with their A320s… which kind of also dovetails into the diverse fleet doing different trips from one season to the next. Or month to month. Or daily.

For example, I have ridden on AC from YYZ to YYC on I think every type in the fleet except the 330. If a pilot were to pursue a job with them on aspirations of routinely flying a specific route, good luck.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

lownslow wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:26 pm
twa22 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:52 pm 737 Max are ETOPS rated, and so are the 320/321neos, and several airlines cross the Atlantic daily with them, just look at Air Transat
True but this is the AC sub forum and I don’t believe they’re presently doing any ocean crossing with their A320s… which kind of also dovetails into the diverse fleet doing different trips from one season to the next. Or month to month. Or daily.

For example, I have ridden on AC from YYZ to YYC on I think every type in the fleet except the 330. If a pilot were to pursue a job with them on aspirations of routinely flying a specific route, good luck.
Not yet, but they will be when they get the 321XLR in the near future. They are also crossing the atlantic with the 737 Max to places like Reykjavik from YYZ in the summer, and LHR from YHZ

Like you and cavalier said, routes and aircraft types aren't set in stone and can change at any moment, but I think the idea for OP is to get a general snapshot of what to expect. The best example being the 320 fleet... might not be interesting now, but it sure can be in the next few years when those XLRs show up, just food for thought that's all

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

twa22 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:55 pm routes and aircraft types aren't set in stone and can change at any moment, but I think the idea for OP is to get a general snapshot of what to expect
Sounds like you and I are in violent agreement, I just want the OP to recognize that things can and will change.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

lownslow wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:26 pm
If a pilot were to pursue a job with them on aspirations of routinely flying a specific route, good luck.
For years guys had second families in BOG and GRU. When the company changed what planes flew those destinations there was mass panic and a change in their equipment bid :lol:

Return to “Air Canada”