How many WS pilots want YUL?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

How many WS pilots want YUL?

Post by pilot4life »

With the impending closure of the Sunwing purchase this month, how many Westjet pilots are eyeing the YUL base in hopes something opens up there. I’m sure even the Ottawa folks would take it.
Is there a lot of commuters from YUL and YOW?
---------- ADS -----------

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How many WS pilots want YUL?

Post by Oleo 4 »

Pilot4life,

All we are being told right now is the same as the pilots at Sunwing. That upon closure we will continue to operate independently. Over the years at WestJet when the question of a YUL base has been proposed to those making the decisions, the response has been consistent - will never happen as that's our competitors back yard. I'm sure they would say the same regarding YYC. As of today WestJet has bases in YVR, YYC, YEG, and YYZ.

We can't tell you how this evolves, since we went private the strategic planning has remained just that. We all have many questions with few answers right now regarding a potential merger. To answer your question directly - no pilot at WJ would be able to bid into a independently operated airlines base unless they were hired there.

Both airlines have stood up merger committees. The 5 members from Sunwing based in YYZ will have 5 members from WestJet from all bases represented to figure out how to proceed. Mergers are messy and when a pilots seniority is touched, emotions and resentment can over come ones intellectual capacity to stay above board. Let's hope this isn't a AC and CDN 6 year event.

Edited to include: Sunwing's union would have to first complete a membership ratification to join WestJet's ALPA union.

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

Oleo 4 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:45 pm Pilot4life,

All we are being told right now is the same as the pilots at Sunwing. That upon closure we will continue to operate independently. Over the years at WestJet when the question of a YUL base has been proposed to those making the decisions, the response has been consistent - will never happen as that's our competitors back yard. I'm sure they would say the same regarding YYC. As of today WestJet has bases in YVR, YYC, YEG, and YYZ.

We can't tell you how this evolves, since we went private the strategic planning has remained just that. We all have many questions with few answers right now regarding a potential merger. To answer your question directly - no pilot at WJ would be able to bid into a independently operated airlines base unless they were hired there.

Both airlines have stood up merger committees. The 5 members from Sunwing based in YYZ will have 5 members from WestJet from all bases represented to figure out how to proceed. Mergers are messy and when a pilots seniority is touched, emotions and resentment can over come ones intellectual capacity to stay above board. Let's hope this isn't a AC and CDN 6 year event.

Edited to include: Sunwing's union would have to first complete a membership ratification to join WestJet's ALPA union.
Thanks for your input on the uncertainty surrounding the merger. While i do agree that they will start off running the airline separately, i think that it’s inevitable that all pilots will get merged into one list at some point in the future. If that happens, then it’ll be a free for all when it comes to bases (considering there are openings).
As for the YUL base, it’s getting quite crowded now with Transat, Sunwing, Porter in talks with YHU and rumours of YUL as well as Flair thinking about opening a base there too.
I was just wondering how many pilots currently at Westjet would even be interested if the possibility arises to hold a YUL base? 200?100?50?

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

It’s never been an option for us so I couldn’t provide you any accurate data. We have a few who commute from YOW that I know of.

Too many questions unanswered that speculation will only stoke the embers burning in all of us. Let’s see what happens.

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

Oleo 4 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:42 pm It’s never been an option for us so I couldn’t provide you any accurate data. We have a few who commute from YOW that I know of.

Too many questions unanswered that speculation will only stoke the embers burning in all of us. Let’s see what happens.
Fair enough. Thanks again

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

We have more commuting from YOW than YUL. Any new base would surely be welcomed by the pilots in that area.
I can't comment on YUL stuff, but I "occasionally" commuted from YOW years ago when I was going back and forth to take care of some family issues. I never had a bad experience. I think twice in 20 legs I might have hopped on AC due to late or full flights, but it was typically a pretty decent commute to YYZ. I live in YYZ base now so I drive.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

pilot4life wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:41 pm

Thanks for your input on the uncertainty surrounding the merger. While i do agree that they will start off running the airline separately, i think that it’s inevitable that all pilots will get merged into one list at some point in the future. If that happens, then it’ll be a free for all when it comes to bases (considering there are openings).
As for the YUL base, it’s getting quite crowded now with Transat, Sunwing, Porter in talks with YHU and rumours of YUL as well as Flair thinking about opening a base there too.
I was just wondering how many pilots currently at Westjet would even be interested if the possibility arises to hold a YUL base? 200?100?50?

A merger of the two lists is not likely. Sunwing pilots might want a merger to get the wages and working conditions of WestJets new contract but the company will
Do everything in its power to have a b scale( Sunwing).

Also from a family member who is a top corporate lawyer, mergers are done on career expectation. So when you have a company like westket with 10+ year upgrades ans Sunwing basically hiring DEC there will be a bump and flush if the lists are merged. Especially when all pilots have the same type rating. As for the AC CDN merger where they did integrate the lists, Both Companies has similar businesses in size and fleet. Not the case with WestJet Sunwing .

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

A merger of the two lists is not likely. Sunwing pilots might want a merger to get the wages and working conditions of WestJets new contract but the company will

Also from a family member who is a top corporate lawyer, mergers are done on career expectation. So when you have a company like westket with 10+ year upgrades ans Sunwing basically hiring DEC there will be a bump and flush if the lists are merged. Especially when all pilots have the same type rating. As for the AC CDN merger where they did integrate the lists, Both Companies has similar businesses in size and fleet. Not the case with WestJet Sunwing .
[/quote]

Isn’t swoop on the same list but not under the same WAWCON?
Couldn’t sunwing be merged/integrated into the same list only for seniority purposes when it comes to bidding onto other equipment/position/base assuming they accept the WAWCON of the “division” they are bidding into?
One could bid sunwing if there’s an open spot and your seniority can hold it. BUT, you would be accepting Sunwing’s wages. Exactly like swoop.
My original question wasn’t regarding the difference in wage and working conditions between the companies. I was only inquiring as to how many people would actually be interested in a YUL base “IF” the situation arose

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

pacman007 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:57 pm

I haven’t spoken to one SWG pilot that wants anything to do with the westjet flying. As for the wages and working conditions, the SWG contract, although lacking, beats the westjet contract for pretty much everything QOL wise and we are currently being paid the westjet payscale +2.5%. Don’t get me wrong, I hope the westjet pilots hit it out of the park on the next contract and if a strike happens I’ll be on the picket line and I’ll bring donuts, but if I have to do 16 days of 3-4 leg days I’ll be looking for a new job.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

My guess is that if the employer does not propose a single bargaining unit outcome, that the ALPA represented pilots will have the remedy of a common employer petition at their disposal. Not a slam dunk but they don’t have to take ‘no’ for an answer from the owner/employer.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

rudder wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:28 am My guess is that if the employer does not propose a single bargaining unit outcome, that the ALPA represented pilots will have the remedy of a common employer petition at their disposal. Not a slam dunk but they don’t have to take ‘no’ for an answer from the owner/employer.
Exactly, the CIRB will make a determination if one of the parties makes the request. My guess is that WS will want to avoid it but to run both airlines more efficiently they won't be able to avoid it.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a bump and flush in a merger, that sounds like a fear tactic to keep the group’s separated and fight each other.

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

fish4life wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:11 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a bump and flush in a merger, that sounds like a fear tactic to keep the group’s separated and fight each other.
Ya, usually a 2-5 year position guarantee (fence) to prevent that.

Return to “WestJet”