Porter Airlines E195 ground school 2023

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Porter Airlines E195 ground school 2023

Post by twa22 »

flyinhigh wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:47 am Holy crap this is not the end of the world guys and gals.

Yes, there is other airlines that also do not pay for hotels during training. Guess what, one of those other companies makes you groom the plane while on staff travel (sounds F$&kin, amazing).

If you’re a commuter ( like myself) you’ll have to get a crash pad anyway, so there’s your accommodation taken care of. I have zero stress about this minor clause as long term it’s worth it. If that’s a deal breaker, we’ll go somewhere else than.

Ground school is close to YYZ (not YTZ) and FSI. 90% of new hires on the E2 are going to Paris right now for training, but this will most likely stop in the coming months.
Didn't say it was the end of the world, just said it doesn't seem entirely fair, but anyways that's my opinion... If people applying are ok with it, more power to them
---------- ADS -----------

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

I agree with the previous poster. If the no-hotel during training cuz the training facility is literally in the city/base you signed, then you guys smoking crack. If you choose a q4 YHZ base and your training is in YTZ, then it’s on the company. It’s on you as a commuter to get your ass to duty. If it’s a deal breaker for you, then cool, have at’er. No one is saying stay at hotel for a month, look up crash pads for flight crew Facebook group. Suck it up buttercup

Sorry I’m late to this thread. I may have quoted some month old posts!

Last edited by CaptDukeNukem on Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

THT wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:01 pm
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:00 am
THT wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:52 am Thank you! I am quite surprised that the company doesn't provide the hotel during the training session for commuters... waiting to find a crash pad solution or something else.
I guess if I'm from YUL it will be at my own to pay the ticket for the 1st day of training. I asked all these questions but still have no reply... there are kind of evasive on these matters.

What about seniority? I mean there will come a time when all the Q400 pilots would bid for the E2, the new hired for the E2 will get pulled down? and eventually, when all the Q400 pilots have gone to the E2, the new hired pilots on the E2 will be transferred on the Q400?
Is there a protection on type ?
They say you won't be kicked off your machine for a senior Q400 pilot. I don't believe that for a second. If circumstances dictate, I don't see how that won't happen, should things go from good to bad. The pay gap between Q and E2 pilots is so big that everyone will want to fly the Embraer. Also, don't forget, Porter now is dipping in Air Canada and Westjet's market. Be sure they will respond and the competition will be fierce. I'm not trying to be negative, but one needs to consider all aspects when deciding to go there. The pros and cons.

That E2 is a shiny new plane though, isn't it? I absolutely love it.
Absolutely. Moreover Porter has no union yet, until one day a union steps in and changes the rules of the game.

Regarding the training, I agree that there are many new things to consider during this period of transition/adaptation (especially for commuters), a crash pad to find or a move to make ...
Also, if the simulator is busy, the risk of being on reserve during the training is just not possible for the commuters...
Nah man. They give you ample notice for training events. If you can’t do it cuz it’s less than enough notice they will work with you. Don’t sling mud. Plus they got a sim in Paris. And per diems are paid there, and also hotel, obvi

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:36 am
Nah man. They give you ample notice for training events. If you can’t do it cuz it’s less than enough notice they will work with you. Don’t sling mud. Plus they got a sim in Paris. And per diems are paid there, and also hotel, obvi
Not so obvi considering they don't pay for hotels for new hires in initial training in Toronto.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

**** wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:33 am
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:36 am
Not so obvi considering they don't pay for hotels for new hires in initial training in Toronto.
If you’re Toronto based, doing training in Toronto, this is no different than doing a YUL turn 3 days in a row. They’re not getting you a hotel. End of story

If you want to commute and not pay rent or travel, check out wasaya airways in pickle lake. 2 weeks on 2 week off. Ohhh and they feed you

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I don’t think it’s recurrent anyone has a problem with. It’s the initial. Most people coming to fly a q for $40k are probably coming from a job outside the GTA. It’s pretty inconsiderate of them to not provide accommodations for the initial. Obviously the vast majority of people in the industry agree with me since all the large airlines besides Porter and Westjet provide accommodations for new hire training.

Return to “Flight Training”