Medium Helicopters Ops

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

aviation_geek1985
Rank 0
Rank 0

Medium Helicopters Ops

Post by aviation_geek1985 »

I have a client purchasing a new medium helicopter and question for you all...Can a medium helicopter operate single pilot operations? If so, under what conditions? If not, and they require dual pilot ops is it all ops (VFR versus IFR)?
---------- ADS -----------

EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Medium Helicopters Ops

Post by EasyTarget »

It would be better if you listed the type of medium you were purchasing, as that could change the answers. However, here's a ballpark answer. Pretty much all mediums can be operated single pilot VFR, both single-engine and twin-engine variants (ie; 205 / 212). Two pilots would be required for IFR operations, but that would limit you to a twin. There may also be further restrictions for the carrying of passengers at night similar to above if that was being considered.

It is possible to have a single-pilot IFR medium helicopter, but those would be something similar to an S76 or AW139 utilizing a fully coupled autopilot and pilot having the necessary credentials complete the necessary proficiency check.

There are others on this forum that can fill in more blanks much better than I.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

Everything Easy Target said! Night and IFR basically means 2 pilots and 2 engines if you are carrying passengers.

Single pilot IFR in helicopters is pretty much for a private machine/police, and even then I'm not sure it's something done in Canada.

I'd have to find the document but I can't recall if any helicopters are certified single pilot IFR in Canada.

aviation_geek1985
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aviation_geek1985 »

Thank you both!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

MOAB wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:08 pm Everything Easy Target said! Night and IFR basically means 2 pilots and 2 engines if you are carrying passengers.

Single pilot IFR in helicopters is pretty much for a private machine/police, and even then I'm not sure it's something done in Canada.

I'd have to find the document but I can't recall if any helicopters are certified single pilot IFR in Canada.
S76 is

Return to “Helicopter Forum”