ALPA dues

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Man_in_the_sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

ALPA dues

Post by Man_in_the_sky »

I heard we could displace our ALPA dues into a non-profit organization. Can anyone guide me on this ?
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: ALPA dues

Post by rudder »

Man_in_the_sky wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:48 am I heard we could displace our ALPA dues into a non-profit organization. Can anyone guide me on this ?
Slightly more complicated than that.

Airlines are under Federal labour law jurisdiction.

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board ... -dues.html

Man_in_the_sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Man_in_the_sky »

What happens when an employee belongs to a religious organization whose doctrine prevents them from making financial contributions to an employee organization?
Most collective agreements include a clause pertaining to employees who belong to a religious organization whose doctrine prevents them from making financial contributions. This clause allows them to request not to be subject to union dues deductions from their designated bargaining agent. For more information, please refer to the relevant collective agreement.

Now... Gotta create a religion, that's easier than I tought

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Man_in_the_sky wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:01 am What happens when an employee belongs to a religious organization whose doctrine prevents them from making financial contributions to an employee organization?
Most collective agreements include a clause pertaining to employees who belong to a religious organization whose doctrine prevents them from making financial contributions. This clause allows them to request not to be subject to union dues deductions from their designated bargaining agent. For more information, please refer to the relevant collective agreement.

You have to pay the same amount of money. Would you rather send the money to a charity of your choosing or would you rather the money be sent to an organization that is employed to represent you?

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

The problem with some unions is that they are so powerful they end up meddling in politics.

Imagine the unions that represent teachers and their blatant support of the NDP. I would not be happy if my union made that statement tomorrow "We endorse political group A or B or C". I have teacher friends that can't stand that, yet their heard earned money go to a union that supports a political party completely against his wishes.

Man_in_the_sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Man_in_the_sky »

averageatbest wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 am
Man_in_the_sky wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:01 am What happens when an employee belongs to a religious organization whose doctrine prevents them from making financial contributions to an employee organization?

You have to pay the same amount of money. Would you rather send the money to a charity of your choosing or would you rather the money be sent to an organization that is employed to represent you?
If i felt that we are making progress, and communication is open, sure !

Now we can't use TBank, we can't drop. there's so many clause we can't use because nothing is being made to get more people or retain pilot on the property..

Watch what will happen to the Emb operation when YOW and YHU open for porter..

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

You also lose all union protection, and they will not be sitting beside you should you require protection.

Not a gamble I would take.

This is aviation, and the liability we carry with every flight is enormous. You want to have the pockets of that organization fight for you should something go wrong. Doesn't even have to be your fault for the vultures to come at the crew.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

A union has its value, however if you are unhappy with it how about running to be a union leader and making positive changes within. Somewhere like jazz where the union is composed of all very senior, pension holding pilots, having junior pilots would be great to provide representation for the rest of the group.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

truedude wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:15 am This is aviation, and the liability we carry with every flight is enormous.
You dont carry any liability, that's all offloaded to the company you work for.

If you had liability exposure personally, like say a doctor does, then you would likely carry an insurance against it, just like the malpractice insurance carried by doctors.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:48 am
truedude wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:15 am This is aviation, and the liability we carry with every flight is enormous.

If you had liability exposure personally, like say a doctor does, then you would likely carry an insurance against it, just like the malpractice insurance carried by doctors.
You 100% have liability as PIC. Watch what happens when you plant one into the grass somewhere and the company starts questioning every decision you made for the last decade.

Also, there has been cases that have been successfully tried under the criminal code of Canada, but that’s usually due to negligence.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I agree. You absolutely have liability as PIC.

Look at incident lawsuits and the pilots typically get personally sued.

That's disturbing when you look at what is the best case scenario for the other industry players for pointing the blame following an incident. Pilot error.

Not the airline's fault, the manufacturers fault, the airport's fault, the regulators fault. The broke ass pilot's fault is the best outcome for industry and that's the way it will be steered 9 times outta 10.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:37 pm You 100% have liability as PIC. Watch what happens when you plant one into the grass somewhere and the company starts questioning every decision you made for the last decade.

Also, there has been cases that have been successfully tried under the criminal code of Canada, but that’s usually due to negligence.
So how much personal liability exposure did the AC folks have when they planted one in the runway lights in Halifax ? If there was a way to assign liability to the pilots, you can bet your last dollar the insurance companies that paid out on that hull loss would have sued the two up front for everything they have and then some. Bet they still fly for AC today.

How much personable liability exposure did the pilots of AC797 have ? Again, they carried on with AC and never faced any liability after that incident.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:37 pm

You 100% have liability as PIC. Watch what happens when you plant one into the grass somewhere and the company starts questioning every decision you made for the last decade.

Not really true. This topic has been discussed here a few times. As an employee you have significant protection when you screw up in the course of your employment.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

digits_ wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:49 pm

Not really true. This topic has been discussed here a few times. As an employee you have significant protection when you screw up in the course of your employment.
I’ll tuck my tail in then. :) but I will say when negligence is one of the root causes of the incident then things change drastically.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:56 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:49 pm

I’ll tuck my tail in then. :) but I will say when negligence is one of the root causes of the incident then things change drastically.
If you are involved in an incident or accident outside of Canada and the US (and subject to local jurisdiction) you will want the resources afforded by IFALPA. Only one North American pilot union is a member of IFALPA. That is ALPA.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:22 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:37 pm You 100% have liability as PIC. Watch what happens when you plant one into the grass somewhere and the company starts questioning every decision you made for the last decade.

So how much personal liability exposure did the AC folks have when they planted one in the runway lights in Halifax ? If there was a way to assign liability to the pilots, you can bet your last dollar the insurance companies that paid out on that hull loss would have sued the two up front for everything they have and then some. Bet they still fly for AC today.

How much personable liability exposure did the pilots of AC797 have ? Again, they carried on with AC and never faced any liability after that incident.
A Nova Scotia law firm has filed a $12M class action lawsuit against Air Canada on behalf of passengers who were aboard Flight 624 that crash landed at the Halifax International Airport on March 29.

The lawsuit has been filed by MacGillivray Injury and Insurance Law on behalf of roughly 133 passengers who were aboard the flight that touched down 335 metres short of the runway.

Also named in the lawsuit is Nav Canada, a privately run corporation that operates Canada’s civil air navigation system, the pilots of the flight and the Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA).

https://globalnews.ca/news/1949945/nova ... h-landing/

One guy from that was badly injured and won't ever fly again. I understood the other was out for a long time, I'm not sure if he ever came back though.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”